Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Construction, Maintenance & Refit (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Pre Made Panels That Can Stand Up to Engines Pushing Them? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/pre-made-panels-that-can-stand-up-to-engines-pushing-them-258648.html)

Orion Jim 06-12-2021 21:04

Re: Pre Made Panels That Can Stand Up to Engines Pushing Them?

Something like this product?
https://www.lbifiberglass.com/product/gpo1/

GordMay 07-12-2021 01:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by svtrio (Post 3533249)
... Starboard manufacturing folks were adamant that starboard is not suitable for structural applications, such as transoms...

Indeed.
According to King Plastic:
“The King StarBoard® Family of Marine Grade Polymers are strong, but they are not a structural material. When using these products, they must be supported by a load bearing framework ...”
https://www.kingplastic.com/support-techniques/

Chotu 07-12-2021 05:19

Ah, damn. It’s not easy to get those sheets right now and they’re like $500 a piece for the amount needed to create each motor mount.

Back to the drawing board.

hpeer 07-12-2021 05:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotu (Post 3533175)
I don’t know. That’s why am asking the question. I don’t know any of these premade composite panels. I made my boat from scratch. I have never used Coosa board or starboard. I know nothing about them.

Anyone care to say if the starboard will work?

I was originally thinking aluminum plate, but, I didn’t want to have to deal with all of the cosmetic issues that come along with that.

Is it easier to design a new system or to change your attitude about cosmetic issues?

As I get older, and older, and older, I find I have much more tolerance for “cosmetic issues.” Both the boats and mine.

What I don’t want to give up on is a low maintenance solution. My time is my most valuable thing.

Chotu 07-12-2021 05:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpeer (Post 3533402)
Is it easier to design a new system or to change your attitude about cosmetic issues?

As I get older, and older, and older, I find I have much more tolerance for “cosmetic issues.” Both the boats and mine.

What I don’t want to give up on is a low maintenance solution. My time is my most valuable thing.

I think you are missing something in my posts. I am replacing these because they write it out. Not because they are the wrong color or texture. They fell apart.

So now I am also trying to do like you are saying and get something that works forever.

The aluminum sheet is also $1000. For 3/8 aluminum. So, I think it might be back to just building these out of composite. Because these are ridiculous prices.

My main concern building these out of composite is the tendency they will have to peel apart a cored laminate. So, I think I will make them in two parts. One part the flat panel that slides in the track, the second part the actual piece that the motor clamps onto. And I will through bolt them together. How does that sound?

Chotu 07-12-2021 06:46

2 Attachment(s)
Starting from scratch. These are the current slides.

Any Ideas on how to do these in the following way:

*no wood
*rubber bushings/mat to stop awful vibration noise
*Delrin/HDPE or similar at points of contact with the aluminum tracks.

rslifkin 07-12-2021 06:48

For the rubber and delrin idea, I'd likely plan to use a somewhat soft rubber sandwiched by the delrin. Make it fit so that it's compressed slightly in the tracks, as that should keep there from being any play that would cause rattling.

Chotu 07-12-2021 06:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by rslifkin (Post 3533437)
For the rubber and delrin idea, I'd likely plan to use a somewhat soft rubber sandwiched by the delrin. Make it fit so that it's compressed slightly in the tracks, as that should keep there from being any play that would cause rattling.

I was thinking the same. Like a rubber mat material under the strips of Delrin.

The rest however... is getting tricky.

My through bolting self made composite idea really wasn’t a good one because there is very little space behind the slide. I had thought there was a little more clearance.

The tricky part in any material is joining it together to withstand the weight of the outboard, plus it’s full propulsion force.

These wooden ones withstood the forces but succumbed to rain.

rslifkin 07-12-2021 06:59

What about making something with delrin rollers on the sides to fit into the track instead of sliders? That might let you change where the bolts, etc. have to go enough to make it fit.

Chotu 07-12-2021 07:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by rslifkin (Post 3533441)
What about making something with delrin rollers on the sides to fit into the track instead of sliders? That might let you change where the bolts, etc. have to go enough to make it fit.

Maybe! I had been relying on the sides of the large sliding piece of wood for lateral stability. Would rollers be able to support that pressure?

rslifkin 07-12-2021 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotu (Post 3533446)
Maybe! I had been relying on the sides of the large sliding piece of wood for lateral stability. Would rollers be able to support that pressure?

Think about the forces on an anchor roller. I see no reason a roller setup couldn't be built strong enough.

Chotu 07-12-2021 07:14

Exploring the idea of 1/2” aluminum plate a second, would I use aluminum L angle and through bolts to attach the rest of it to the big sliding plate?

L- angle won’t be 1/2”, so is that going to be a weak spot?

It’s tricky stuff.

Sailmonkey 07-12-2021 07:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheechako (Post 3533167)
A couple layers of 3/4" Starboard bolted together work? 1/2" aluminum in the center? total 2". Would slide with no additions. It's tough as heck.

There is no way that I’d rely on starboard, no matter how thick to support a 30hp outboard.

1. It’s slippery as hell, even tightly bolted to it the outboard will have a tendency to wander.

2. Starboard being an unsupported plastic tends to “creep” it undergoes plastic deformation that means it will change shape as pressure is applied to it. Not quickly, but still happens.

3. The manufacturer states it’s not a structural member.

jimbunyard 07-12-2021 08:22

1 Attachment(s)
Well now that we see what you're doing...

Don't over think it.

Half inch aluminum is your best bet, all bolted together with ss bolts.

Use inch and a half (or whatever your inner slide channel dimension is) black UHMW blocks for the 'bearings', routed or tablesawn out to fit the half inch plate, secured to the plate with countersunk ss bolts.

Use 3 or 4 inch channel for the standoff, again bolted to half inch plate to mount the motor on.

If you're worried about stiffness, bolt a piece of 1/4 X 2 X 2 angle across the bottom of the plate, or cut a piece of the UHMW bar to mount vertically in the center of the 'slider' plate to take the thrust (providing the hull is strong enough there; an aluminum angle mounted inside should provide plenty of stiffness if not...)

https://www.amazon.com/Black-UHMW-Po.../dp/B084H1JK7T
https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/...dard/pid/14600

1/2 al plate 272.00

3/8 al plate (almost certainly sufficient) 227.00

https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/s...1aluminumplate

If you look around you'll probably be able to find the plastic and aluminum cheaper locally.

Black in the sketch is UHMW bar, grey is aluminum.

hpeer 07-12-2021 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotu (Post 3533406)
I think you are missing something in my posts. I am replacing these because they write it out. Not because they are the wrong color or texture. They fell apart.

So now I am also trying to do like you are saying and get something that works forever.

The aluminum sheet is also $1000. For 3/8 aluminum. So, I think it might be back to just building these out of composite. Because these are ridiculous prices.

My main concern building these out of composite is the tendency they will have to peel apart a cored laminate. So, I think I will make them in two parts. One part the flat panel that slides in the track, the second part the actual piece that the motor clamps onto. And I will through bolt them together. How does that sound?

In that case aluminum is the best bet.

Try this place for aluminum, they will ship.

I just bought 10’ of 1-1/2” by 1/4” angle for under $30.

They will custom cut. Just buy what you need.

https://metals.shopjfi.com/?l=1