Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Suggestions for marinas/boatyards to look for FOR SALE signs-Ft Laud/Miami? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/suggestions-for-marinas-boatyards-to-look-for-for-sale-signs-ft-laud-miami-256762.html)

sambo37 13-10-2021 05:27

Suggestions for marinas/boatyards to look for FOR SALE signs-Ft Laud/Miami?

Looking around Ft. Lauderdale/ Miami (or beyond) areas for sailboats to purchase...not having much luck. Anyone with suggestions for boatyards or marinas where a guy could stroll around looking for FOR SALE signs? I've done the Yachtworld, internet thing (futile), brokers grrr. I thought maybe the old-fashioned poking around might turn up something. Thanks.

BillKny 13-10-2021 06:05

Re: Suggestions for marinas/boatyards to look for FOR SALE signs-Ft Laud/Miami?

If you want to browse, it is best to do it by boat. Lots of for sale boats tied up behind houses on the many canals. Start along the New River and branch out from there.

sambo37 13-10-2021 06:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillKny (Post 3501341)
If you want to browse, it is best to do it by boat. Lots of for sale boats tied up behind houses on the many canals. Start along the New River and branch out from there.

Yes, I tried doing just that yesterday out at New River but really couldn't figure out access. I could see masts sticking up here and there but drove around in circles trying to get to them with no luck. Finally gave up but might try again. Thanks for the reply.

BillKny 13-10-2021 06:58

If you are driving around by car you won't be able to tour very much of the waterway, and will find it hard to find very many of the boats at private docks.

You really need a small motorboat.

Davy J 13-10-2021 07:04

Most likely a waste of time.

Most marinas in Florida have gates on the docks to prevent people from "strolling around"...........

Davidhoy 13-10-2021 09:02

Without knowing your preferences, it's hard to give you good advice. But, if you're looking for a good deal on a boat that might need some work, you might consider driving north to Fort Pierce and looking around Riverside Marina. It's more a work/storage yard than a marina. Another similar type of place is Indiantown Marina.

waterman46 13-10-2021 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davy J (Post 3501357)
Most likely a waste of time.

Most marinas in Florida have gates on the docks to prevent people from "strolling around"...........

What size of boat are you looking for? Anything worth much will usually be advertised somewhere useful rather than just an owner's for sale sign.

I wouldn't waste time tooling around in a boat for this. Unless you would be satisfied to buy almost any boat that will float.

Really ought to be some local sailing magazine, newpaper, whatever, that has many "want" ads either in print or online. And some marinas, marine equipment stores and yacht clubs have old fashioned bulletin boards.

What was wrong with an internet search? That's how I found my boat after our broker missed it.

sambo37 13-10-2021 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterman46 (Post 3501405)
What size of boat are you looking for? Anything worth much will usually be advertised somewhere useful rather than just an owner's for sale sign.

I wouldn't waste time tooling around in a boat for this. Unless you would be satisfied to buy almost any boat that will float.

Really ought to be some local sailing magazine, newpaper, whatever, that has many "want" ads either in print or online. And some marinas, marine equipment stores and yacht clubs have old fashioned bulletin boards.

What was wrong with an internet search? That's how I found my boat after our broker missed it.

Thanks for the reply. Yup, I've tried most of the standard sources but have found there really isn't much of anything. The ones that come up are usually old listings that still show active. As many here suggest, tried finding a buyer's broker but unless you're looking for a mega-yacht they don't seem too interested. Yachtworld and sailboatlistings used to be a good source; but, unless I'm missing something, very very few current and credible listings show up. Mostly just old ones or scams.

sambo37 13-10-2021 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidhoy (Post 3501402)
Without knowing your preferences, it's hard to give you good advice. But, if you're looking for a good deal on a boat that might need some work, you might consider driving north to Fort Pierce and looking around Riverside Marina. It's more a work/storage yard than a marina. Another similar type of place is Indiantown Marina.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably check those out.

Boatyarddog 13-10-2021 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by sambo37 (Post 3501344)
Yes, I tried doing just that yesterday out at New River but really couldn't figure out access. I could see masts sticking up here and there but drove around in circles trying to get to them with no luck. Finally gave up but might try again. Thanks for the reply.

Be careful...
Someone down there may exercise their Second Amendment rights upon you.
Unless stated otherwise most Marinas are Private property.:nonono:
SV Cloud Duster

japawil 13-10-2021 10:17

Maybe list your criteria; size, price range, any preferred attributes or deal breakers etc., and forum members local to south FL can help with crowd sourcing.

sambo37 13-10-2021 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatyarddog (Post 3501438)
Be careful...
Someone down there may exercise their Second Amendment rights upon you.
Unless stated otherwise most Marinas are Private property.:nonono:
SV Cloud Duster

Yeah, for sure...that's the feeling I got. Was just driving around looking for any access that was clearly open to the public. Thanks.

flightlead404 13-10-2021 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidhoy (Post 3501402)

try safe harbor there as well as crackerboy

sambo37 13-10-2021 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by japawil (Post 3501439)
Maybe list your criteria; size, price range, any preferred attributes or deal breakers etc., and forum members local to south FL can help with crowd sourcing.

Looking for 36 to 38ish island-hopper/ cruiser. Fond of Pearson, Morgan, Bayfield, Tartan, and possibly Tayana but am open to any solid cruiser in the 30k to 70k range. Any leads or suggestions much appreciated.

Hudson Force 13-10-2021 11:33

Some online listings from sources like Boat Trader Magazine and even Craigslist can be surprisingly effective. Just goggling "sailboats for sale" brings up some more of these search resources. I've bought and sold several boats for myself, friends and relatives through these online searches with some great success. The Morgan 41 pictured in my avatar was traded along with some cash for my Morgan 33 through a Boat Trader Magazine contact back in 1985. 'lots of vetting and surveying, but all directly through owners only.