Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Europe & Mediterranean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Swimming in the French canals???? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/swimming-in-the-french-canals-252696.html)

dannc 12-07-2021 11:20

Re: Swimming in the French canals????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AKA-None (Post 3443002)
And look at is now, hick hick all’s good
The third eye helps keep a good watch

Yes, yes it does, and when I use that third eye to zoom in, it goes, DOOONNNNnnnnnnngggggg..., which is kinda annoying. :whistling::biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkbSUMkL2JE

Later,
Dan

skipmac 18-07-2021 08:42

Re: Swimming in the French canals????
 
Well, here we are on the River Lot so first hand report. Due to recent rains the water is red/brown from the mud and silt washed into the river. Locals claim normally it's fairly clear with viz about 2 meters.

Just the first day I've seen at least half dozen locals fishing from the banks, 15-20 people swimming including a riverside park with a buoyed off swimming area. So seems the locals think the river is clean enough to swim in.

Macblaze 18-07-2021 08:51

Re: Swimming in the French canals????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skipmac (Post 3446815)
Well, here we are on the River Lot so first hand report. Due to recent rains the water is red/brown from the mud and silt washed into the river. Locals claim normally it's fairly clear with viz about 2 meters.

Just the first day I've seen at least half dozen locals fishing from the banks, 15-20 people swimming including a riverside park with a buoyed off swimming area. So seems the locals think the river is clean enough to swim in.

Pictures or it didn't happen!

:biggrin:

skipmac 18-07-2021 09:09

Re: Swimming in the French canals????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Macblaze (Post 3446820)
Pictures or it didn't happen!

:biggrin:

Well didn't think to take photos of the swimming and fishing. Had my hands full driving the boat. This thing is a dog. Helm hard over at full speed (5-6 kts) and it doesn't start turning for at least 10-15 seconds. The rudder must be about the size of a handkerchief.

All tie ups are Med mooring and it does not steer AT ALL in reverse, even with good bit of sternway. BUT it does have huge prop walk to port so the technique is to pull perpendicular to the slip (to port), keep helm hard to starboard and when the stern is centered give it a big shot of reverse. That starts the stern in, then a goose in forward then alternate as the boat slowly turns 90 degrees and if you did it right the stern against the dock.

I do have a picture or two of the scenery. Lovely area.

Macblaze 18-07-2021 09:14

Re: Swimming in the French canals????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skipmac (Post 3446837)
Well didn't think to take photos of the swimming and fishing. Had my hands full driving the boat. This thing is a dog. Helm hard over at full speed (5-6 kts) and it doesn't start turning for at least 10-15 seconds. The rudder must be about the size of a handkerchief.

All tie ups are Med mooring and it does not steer AT ALL in reverse, even with good bit of sternway. BUT it does have huge prop walk to port so the technique is to pull perpendicular to the slip (to port), keep helm hard to starboard and when the stern is centered give it a big shot of reverse. That starts the stern in, then a goose in forward then alternate as the boat slowly turns 90 degrees and if you did it right the stern against the dock.

I do have a picture or two of the scenery. Lovely area.

One of fondest memories was, after cursing myself for not being able to hold a straight course, is watching smaller LeBoat literally bounce off the sides of the canal continually as they slowly disappeared from view—So I knew I wasn't the most incompetent guy on the water. Seriously...it was like he was tacking up the canal :smile:

skipmac 18-07-2021 09:30

Re: Swimming in the French canals????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Macblaze (Post 3446841)
One of fondest memories was, after cursing myself for not being able to hold a straight course, is watching smaller LeBoat literally bounce off the sides of the canal continually as they slowly disappeared from view—So I knew I wasn't the most incompetent guy on the water. Seriously...it was like he was tacking up the canal :smile:

Oh yea. Definitely bumper boats here. I think anyone that can pay the bill and figure out which way is forward can rent a boat.

Speaking of le Boat, don't think I would ever use them again. They did lose a bunch of the boats on the Lot last year in a huge flood but we reserved a boat with a bimini which we really need due to my wife's ongoing issues with skin cancer (no melanomas but she has basil cells removed every year or so) and they didn't give use one.

Also they are CHEAP. Spend thousands to rent a boat and they want to charge you another 40 Euros or so for a cushion to sit on. They also strip the boats completely after each charter so there is not so much as grain of salt on board. You get sheets, towels and TP, period. Pretty annoying.

On the positive side, the crew here is great. Very accommodating, friendly, polite, and do more than adequate English. My French only goes a little farther than where's the toilet and reading a menu. The boats are old but very well maintained and very clean. So far every system works perfectly (knock on wood)..

skipmac 18-07-2021 09:33

Re: Swimming in the French canals????
 
3 Attachment(s)
A couple of shots from the first day.

skipmac 18-07-2021 09:36

Re: Swimming in the French canals????
 
3 Attachment(s)
And some of the muddy water.

Macblaze 18-07-2021 10:54

Re: Swimming in the French canals????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skipmac (Post 3446856)
Speaking of le Boat, don't think I would ever use them again. They did lose a bunch of the boats on the Lot last year in a huge flood but we reserved a boat with a bimini which we really need due to my wife's ongoing issues with skin cancer (no melanomas but she has basil cells removed every year or so) and they didn't give use one.

The older boats usually have umbrellas. Maybe give the base a call and ask if they could deliver one? I know they did that with a bike for us once...

Lovely pics!

skipmac 18-07-2021 12:51

Re: Swimming in the French canals????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Macblaze (Post 3446917)
The older boats usually have umbrellas. Maybe give the base a call and ask if they could deliver one? I know they did that with a bike for us once...

Well yes, about umbrellas. The boat came with one and they gave us a second one. Lasted about 30 minutes before a really small gust, couldn't have been more than 10 kts, blew it overboard and it sank before I could turn the pig around. That is gonna cost me. :frown:


Quote:

Originally Posted by Macblaze (Post 3446917)
Lovely pics!

Thanks. Did them with my Samsung Galaxy. Thought about bringing the Nikon but decided that would be too much to drag around and for tourist shots the Android does very, very well.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:10.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.