Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Meets & Greets (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Hello from NC (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/hello-from-nc-244415.html)

tna9001 28-12-2020 15:29

Hello from NC

Hello All,

I'm heading to Roatan in a few weeks to train as a dive instructor and plan on traveling the Caribbean to teach and explore. I've always been enamored with the ocean and the pursuit of mastery of the sea. I'm a retired airline pilot so I've got tremendous respect for mother nature and while I understand meteorology I know things are much different on the water than in the air. I'd like to get some perspective about the skill level required to navigate the Caribbean, is it feasible for someone to take classes and instruction to then be competent enough to safely learn the ropes on their own? I'm inclined towards power vs sail and would have a budget of $200k or less, I've read a bit about the Ranger R-29, would that be a suitable boat?

Thank's in advance for the replies.

LittleWing77 28-12-2020 18:44

Re: Hello from NC

Welcome to the Forum, TNA!

Those are a lot of questions for you to research as you teach and explore in the Caribbean.

Talk to sailors and ask them about their stories. You'll learn a lot.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77 :biggrin:

GordMay 29-12-2020 04:06

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, tna.
The Ranger Tugs come with well-placed cup holders.

tna9001 29-12-2020 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordMay (Post 3308652)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, tna.
The Ranger Tugs come with well-placed cup holders.

Thank you! Well, that's all I need to know:smile:

Are there any general guidelines for maintenance reserves, like on an hourly basis?

tna9001 29-12-2020 07:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleWing77 (Post 3308434)
Welcome to the Forum, TNA!

Those are a lot of questions for you to research as you teach and explore in the Caribbean.

Talk to sailors and ask them about their stories. You'll learn a lot.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77 :biggrin:

Hi Little Wing,

I've got lots of research and DD to do for sure. I'm hoping to get pointed in the right direction by those who have been there done that. I'm working on a limited timeframe as I've got 5 years to start to finish, (I'd be selling the boat after 5 years) so realistically, I don't have time to take a year to figure out if my plan is actionable.

grantmc 29-12-2020 10:31

Bula from Fiji tna9001,

Hoping that you'll gain help and useful information from the forum.

I'm not sure in what you plan to teach, but whatever it is, if hoping to gain an income from training you'll face the problem of work restrictions in almost the entire Caribbean, (which of course is made up by some 26 different countries). As a generality it is very difficult to get a work permit anywhere unless you're a citizen or at least gain permanent residence status. Good perhaps I am reading your post incorrectly.

Anyways do feel free to post your own thoughts, questions and ideas here on CF. The forum only works when people post, and 95% of members here seem reluctant. Don't be a lurker. Also please fill in your profile so we all know something about you (I've no idea where NC is or even to which NC you refer).