Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Engines and Propulsion Systems (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Is my engine dead? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/is-my-engine-dead-243814.html)

Goofeyfoot 13-12-2020 18:21

Is my engine dead?

Is my engine dead? The engine is a Volvo MD 2020 in a 33 foot sailboat. The engine was produced in approximately 2001.

This summer my boat overheated. The collar on the heat exchange came separated from the heat exchange tank and blew out all the coolant. The engine stopped dead ss a result.

This summer the mechanic put in a new heat exchange tank and that side of the engine works fine.

However, now the engine belches white smoke all the time. It doesnít go away after you run the boat for awhile. So Iím thinking that something happened in the overheat situation, maybe a head gasket or something blew. I really donít know much about these things.

So I guess the question is, given that the boat overheated, that a gasket blew, am I now foolish to continue to repair the engine? Should I chuck the engine? Should I fix it? Whatís the likelihood that it will ever be right?

As I said I donít know much about these things I just donít want to buy repairs that will just put the engine on life support.

Thanks.

Michael

Lepke 13-12-2020 19:00

Re: Is my engine dead?

Overheating can do anything from no damage to major damage. It depends on how hot for how long. Since you know little about engines, you'd probably be better off with a new working engine. Spend the money all at once instead of one part at a time.The average marine isn't going to be much help except for emptying your wallet.

Spider0804 13-12-2020 19:30

White smoke in exaust is the signifier of head gasket blown.

I have changed a couple head gaskets on vehicles, they are more time consuming than anything to change. You are taking the top half of the motor off.

There should be an owners manual for whatever engine it is with a step by step to take it apart and replace it, keep the engine in time, and put it all back together.

To tell if your piston rings or cylinders are fubar you can grab a compression tester and turn the engine over and compare what you get with the manufacturer spec, compression goes down slightly as hours on a motor pile up in most cases, so it can be a little off.

If thing is starting, not running like crap, and not knocking, the chances are the engine is not fubar though...People do this to cars fairly often and a real good portion of the time the engine can be saved...or they just opt to drive it around forever until it looks like a fog machine.

Good compression, change the head gasket.

A head gasket for a car is 100 bucks or so but marine anything is expensive so probably double.

Worth a try before you drop a buttload of money on an engine.

If you are not mechanically inclined at all and/or do not have a pair of sockets and wrenches you could buy what you need to pull the motor and take it to someone.

At the very least have a mechanic come aboard your boat to test compression and give you an opinion.

Uncle Bob 13-12-2020 19:48

Mate, given that you acknowledge a lack of experience with engines I would suggest a decent mechanic be employed to at least identify the problem and quote to repair it.
How to find a good mechanic? Simply ask at least six boatowners at your marina, you should get at least three that would recommend the same one, contact that one and see if they can assist.

wingssail 13-12-2020 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lepke (Post 3296433)
Overheating can do anything from no damage to major damage. It depends on how hot for how long. Since you know little about engines, you'd probably be better off with a new working engine. Spend the money all at once instead of one part at a time.The average marine isn't going to be much help except for emptying your wallet.

Seems like bad advice. He most likely has a bad head gasket so advising him to spend $20,000 on a new motor is absurd and impractical. Get a good mechanic and figure out what is needed. Period.

deblen 13-12-2020 20:25

https://www.marinesurveyorontario.com/volvopenta.pdf

https://www.marinesurveyorontario.com...riesm25m30.pdf

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-158867-2.html

I installed one of these. https://www.borelmfg.com/products_alarm.htm

Your Volvo Penta MD 2020 is made by Ischibaura & is called an M20 by Perkins.

Cheers/ Len

SalingSue 13-12-2020 20:35

I don’t think the engine is toast.

But a rebuild, at least a top rebuild sounds in order.

I’d start thinking of how to remove the engine from the boat, I’d also start asking around for the best place to do it, get the manuals and find a good local diesel guy, most of the marine engines arnt exactly complicated.

Also do you just have a dummy light, or do you have a temp gauge for the engine? I’d get a gauge and know where the engine likes to run, if it starts to climb, shy of a emergency situation, shutdown and figure the issue out.

sandy stone 13-12-2020 21:05

Sure sounds like a bad head gasket, if the smoke is white and not blue. If the engine runs OK besides smoking a lot, you probably don't have that big a problem. If you pay somebody else to do all the work, it could probably run to $2000 or so (roughly10% the cost of installing a new engine), since once you have the head off you might as well get the valves and injectors serviced. Likely your biggest challenge will be finding a mechanic you can trust.
You didn't say what kind of boat you have, but I can't imagine you would have to remove the engine just to pull the head.

mvweebles 14-12-2020 02:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider0804 (Post 3296449)
White smoke in exaust is the signifier of head gasket blown.

I have changed a couple head gaskets on vehicles, they are more time consuming than anything to change. You are taking the top half of the motor off.

There should be an owners manual for whatever engine it is with a step by step to take it apart and replace it, keep the engine in time, and put it all back together.

To tell if your piston rings or cylinders are fubar you can grab a compression tester and turn the engine over and compare what you get with the manufacturer spec, compression goes down slightly as hours on a motor pile up in most cases, so it can be a little off.

If thing is starting, not running like crap, and not knocking, the chances are the engine is not fubar though...People do this to cars fairly often and a real good portion of the time the engine can be saved...or they just opt to drive it around forever until it looks like a fog machine.

Good compression, change the head gasket.

A head gasket for a car is 100 bucks or so but marine anything is expensive so probably double.

Worth a try before you drop a buttload of money on an engine.

If you are not mechanically inclined at all and/or do not have a pair of sockets and wrenches you could buy what you need to pull the motor and take it to someone.

At the very least have a mechanic come aboard your boat to test compression and give you an opinion.

I don't understand this. How would it have goof compression with a blown head gasket?

Swapping an engine is pretty easy if it's like for like. Where it can get a bit expensive is if you change engine makes and have to mess with engine mounts, transmission, and coupling. A new engine is in the $10k range for one this size (without gear). A rebuilt one is about half that, but was probably an engine like yours is now before it was rebuilt, so you might want to consider rebuilding yours. Will avoid messing around with mounts. But a decent mechanic would be your best source - no way to tell from internet.

BTW - testing compression on a diesel is significantly more difficult than a gasoline engine. Involves sourcing an adapter for the injector - the universal adapter kits are notoriously un-universal, and a test gauge that will go to 300 psi or higher. Unless you find a factory mechanic with the specialized adapter, it's not something he can easily do without spending s bunch of time scurrying for parts.

A crude measure of compression past rings in to see if there is excessive blow-by. This is manifested as high crankcase pressure - remove the oil fill cap when running. If there is a lot of air escaping - say, enough to float a paper towel, your rings are shot.

If there is decent access to your engine, getting the head off will not take more than a few hours, call it a day by the time a mechanic gets setup and gets the head go a machine shop to make sure the surface is flat and replace the valves and seals. Volvo parts are at the upper end compared to other brands. When the head is off, he can see if there is excessive scoring in the cylinder walls, a sign of greater engine damage.

Good luck - sorry for your troubles.

Peter

LittleWing77 14-12-2020 05:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy stone (Post 3296493)
You didn't say what kind of boat you have, but I can't imagine you would have to remove the engine just to pull the head.

It's a boat that's got a Volvo engine in it. As they are among the best engines out there, I would venture to say that the boat is similarly worthwhile (who knows about engine-access, though, I'm supposing that's what you were getting at).

Michael -
Not that I would say that it's easy, but we pulled our Volvo out of the boat (hung it in the saloon using blocks and pulleys) and replaced the head gasket in the middle of the South Pacific (Vanuatu). The "worst" part was waiting for the two weeks it took for the gasket to arrive via Federal Express.

And we were two chicks with not much marine engine experience outside of changing filters... (We were lucky that one of the crew at the time was a big bruiser of a Maori guy who provided some muscle) :wink:

Who were our expert consultants? Our dockmates. The Sailing Community.
Talk to your fellow sailors!

Uncle Bob's advice that you ask for six mechanic recommendations from people in your marina is pointing you in the right direction.

Sounds like you have a time-consuming project, but not a catastrophic engine failure.

Fair winds!
Warmly,
LittleWing77 :biggrin:

rslifkin 14-12-2020 06:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvweebles (Post 3296591)
I don't understand this. How would it have goof compression with a blown head gasket?

I've seen coolant leaks into the cylinder from a head gasket or cracked head that didn't cause low compression. The failures can be strange. I've seen some pressurize the cooling system with combustion gases and not lose coolant, but others drink coolant and never seem to push anything into the coolant.

NCboatrx 14-12-2020 07:49

@ Goofeyfoot. You definately need a mechanic but mabye not for a rebuild. Some important information is missing so please answer the following questions.
1) does the engine use any coolant?
2) does the engine start quickly from cold?
3) if there is a temperature guage fitted, what temp is the engine running at when warm?
4) is the oil clean on the dipstick?
5) is the coolant clean when you take the cap off?

Pete7 14-12-2020 08:35

^^^^^ This first before we start tearing down engines. Add number 6, when the engine is warm are there any large bubbles in the coolant tank?

Pete

deblen 14-12-2020 09:18

Recommend carrying one of these.There are many versions./ Len

https://www.amazon.com/8MILELAKE-Rad...7962344&sr=8-3

cottonsail 14-12-2020 09:47

Pull the head to change the head gasket, but how are the piston rings? Here's a simple ring test. With the head off turn the crankshaft until all the pistons are at an even position in the cylinder. Now fill each cylinder with diesel fuel or kerosene. Comeback the next day. If you lost a little of the fuel your rings are good. If the cylinder is empty the rings are worn out.

Stewie12 14-12-2020 09:48

Sounds like a cylinder head gasket to me. Use the KISS principle and go for the obvious.

Scubaseas 14-12-2020 10:08

Don't trash the engine for the sake of a head gasket or even a cracked head. Blown head gasket may effect the compression reading. There are a several ways to determine a blown gasket.

If you are not familiar with engine maybe hire a mechanic to diagnose it for you.

One way to diagnose is to put a pressure tester on the coolant reservoir, pump to 14 psi and let sit. Take out injectors or glow plugs. Crank over engine. If coolant/water comes out you have a blown head gasket. Another way is pump up the cooling system , let sit over night then try and hand crank the engine over. Careful as the engine may be hydrolocked. Unlock by removing glow plugs or Injectors then cranking over.

Another way is a leak down test but you will need a compression tester fitting, a leak down tester and compressed air to do this.

Another way is to fill the cooling system and leave the cap off then crank the engine over. If water shoots up into the air you have a head gasket or head issue. This only works on BIG leaks.

Another is to leave the coolant pressure gauge on and run the engine. It will slowly build pressure due to normal thermal expansion but once up to temp it should hold steady. If you warm up the engine and with it running the pressure continually builds up then yes, you have a blown gasket or warped or cracked head. This is a good way to check for small leaks.

If you have a blown head gasket you should start to see the engine oil start to look like a chocolate milkshake. This may take a couple of hours or even longer to happen.

Rule out salt water smoke by running the engine without the raw water going to it for about 2 to 3 minutes when the engine is cold. If the smoke stops you have a problem where raw water is getting into the engine somewhere. Possibly at the mixing elbow. Watch the exhaust hose doesn't get too hot when doing this but you can run the engine for short periods without raw water going to it.

Possible you de-tempered the piston rings but I kinda doubt it. You would need to get the head off to tell you if then fixing the boat is worth it or not by looking at and measuring the bores.

NCBoatrx has a good plan. Ditto pete7 Look at Youtube "Bums on a boat" who just took their head off of a MD2030 which is the same beast. It's really not hard to do.

Does the smoke smell like oil and leave a sheen on the water? Or does it smell like steam from a kettle? Or smell like diesel and also leave a sheen on the water?

ABJ87 14-12-2020 10:11

Good advice above, just a couple of comments. Injectors can also cause white smoke, does the exhaust smell like fuel or slightly sweet (coolant). Pressure testing the cooling system will tell you for sure, many auto parts stores in the us rent testers.

sv mintaka 14-12-2020 10:15

When I bought my boat I looked at the kubota diesal engine and said I hoped it never broke down as I would not have a clue how to fix...long story short I ended up taking the head off, grinding the valves, putting in new injectors and head gasket finishing off with a new altenator. Runs like a charm now and was not difficult to do with the right help. All done in the boat on a mooring buoy!
A few tips: make sure you have a torque wrench with a long handle, the pattern to undo and do up the head bolts, add a little oil to threads of the bolts before putting back in and lots of patience. Hope this helps

zstine 14-12-2020 11:01

White smoke Sounds like a blown head gasket. Others have given methods to test.

It is running. So definitely NOT Dead!

It is possible to DIY the head gasket if you have some technical aptitude. The parts are not expensive, but the labor may be if you need to pay for a tech... However, It is still WAY cheaper than a repower. So, NO your engine is not dead! Time to become a grease monkey

Clivevon 14-12-2020 11:26

I would not consider myself inclined to be mechanically all that knowledgable but I will chip in my 2 cents worth:
Despite the above, I did many years ago completely strip down & rebuild a car engine & got it working - at the time it was a case of needs must, although I didnt know what a tappet was when I started. I got a good workshop manual & went from there - it is surprising what you can do if you have to.
Also I recently (5 years ago) paid a professional to install a new engine. Buying the engine was less than half the total bill... (needed new everything else while at it, also the prop on the old Volvo MD17D engine turned the opposite way to the new Beta 35). Which way does your prop turn?
Before scrapping your engine: Why did the engine overheat in the first place? Lack of water in the system or some other problem?
You say the mechanic replaced the heat exchanger tank. What is that? Do you mean the heat exchanger (because it was blocked up), or the coolant expansion tank (because it was leaking)??
If it is your head gasket blown, the white "smoke" will not be smoke at all. It will be steam because your coolant is getting through the blown gasket, into your combustion chamber, & being blown out of your exhaust as steam. We all have water cooled exhausts of course which makes it more difficult to tell but you might try seeing if the "smoke" condenses into water on a cold surface (say a freezer pack) held above it?
The 2nd & more important issue is that your coolant will also be contaminating your engine oil causing more engine damage. Check your dipstick - does the oil look good or has it got milky white stuff in it where the coolant is affecting it?
The 3rd issue is to not run the engine too much in this condition as you will make the head gasket leak worse & cause more damage. The cylinder head & engine block jointing faces are now exposed to high compression gases from your combustion chamber which could soon erode a channel into the metal which means that a new gasket will not fix the problem as you will also have to have the joint faces skimmed (if that is possible) to get rid of the erosion channel so you can make a gas tight joint.
The previous recommendation to ask around for 6 mechanic recommendations is a good one. A head gasket repair could be very straightforward giving you years more service from that engine. The reason I replaced my engine was down to lack of availability of spare parts at reasonable prices, as it was 35 years old. You may not have that problem. Good luck.

Cadence 14-12-2020 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lepke (Post 3296433)

I seldom disagree with Lepke, I do on this. It would be worth the money to get a qualified opinion. It would also depend on engine hours.

johnn33 14-12-2020 11:51

MD2020 I suddenly found coolant on my saloon floorboard (above a very flat bilge). The poorly designed heat exchanger has two black rubber moulded ends secured with Jubilee clips keeping fresh water with coolant apart from the sea water. One had moved and also the exhaust elbow where warm seawater cools the exhaust gases had become partially blocked. The engine was unharmed. Heat exchanger rebuilt and a stainless steel non-Volvo elbow fitted. The newer Volvo models have proper metal ends for the heat exchanger.

John

roverhi 14-12-2020 12:09

If you can isolate the problem to the head gasket or head, pulling the head on an engine is not rocket science and it doesn't require pulling the engine to do if you have access. While the head is off use 'cottontail's' ring test to find a wasted cylinder. Would have a mechanic come in and check the pistons, cylinders and block checked out for wear and cracks. That's something you certainly don't have the experience to evaluate. With the head off would have a valve job done with new valve guides and injectors rebuilt. It's a relatively inexpensive way to get good as new performance from the engine. Removing the head can be done in a day and reinstalled in less time as you'll have developed some expertise and knowledge working on the engine. You will need a torque wrench to reinstall but it can be rented. Other than that basic tools are all that's required and, depending on your engine room, the flexibility of a yoga instructor.

Wotname 14-12-2020 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy stone (Post 3296493)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleWing77 (Post 3296647)
It's a boat that's got a Volvo engine in it. ...............

The OP's profile says he has a 33 Dufour GibSea.

thunderhoof 14-12-2020 18:22

My MD2030 developed a leak in the heat exchanger (corrosion) that allowed water into the exhaust manifold - resulting in continuous white steam in the exhaust. You might remove the heat exchanger body and the exhaust mixing valve and inspect them. They will have to come off anyway if you have to remove the head.

dw1979 16-12-2020 21:32

A relatively inexpensive early warning to an over heat situation cause by lack of raw water flow is available from several sources. I recently installed a unit from Borel Mfg, but there are other suppliers also. This device straps a sensor on your exhaust hose just as it leaves the engine. It will give an almost instant alarm if the raw water is not present. (Watching the temp gauge will not give you fast enough warning that something is amiss). A similar device might have saved you going thru the repair/replace situation you are now in.
I suggest that once you get things back to normal consider installing this for piece of mind.

Puregravy 28-12-2020 08:24

I have the same engine and had to replace the head due to a rocker arm malfunction. Long story as to a new head. Turns out that this engine is a marinized Perkins and was able to find parts through a company in England that were a fraction of the price of going through Volvo dealer. They had over the years been able to cross reference Volvo part numbers for the same Perkins part. That particular Perkins is used world wide across platforms so parts are readily available and reasonable. Check out parts 4 engines dot com. Mechanics in our area were flat out busy at the time and my mechanic offered to stop by and mentor as required. I used him initially and was able to complete the job through the use of a manual and a bit of YouTube. With new mixing valve, head, heat exchanger boots and assorted parts I spent about $3K CND.

SOLAR SUPPORT 28-12-2020 08:27

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnn33 (Post 3297104)
MD2020 I suddenly found coolant on my saloon floorboard (above a very flat bilge). The poorly designed heat exchanger has two black rubber moulded ends secured with Jubilee clips keeping fresh water with coolant apart from the sea water. One had moved and also the exhaust elbow where warm seawater cools the exhaust gases had become partially blocked. The engine was unharmed. Heat exchanger rebuilt and a stainless steel non-Volvo elbow fitted. The newer Volvo models have proper metal ends for the heat exchanger.

John

Good point. Md-20/30/40 VP motors' elbow was made from iron cast. Replace your elbow with a SS 316L made one even if you have a new engine. This part is like a cancer cell for your exhaust manifold and overheat issues observed with VP Md-20/30/40 series.

Michael If you can't find an affordable 316L S. Steel made Elbow for your engine please let me know. I can supply one for you. EMail : volkangorciz@hotmail.com

Paul Carey 28-12-2020 08:28

I don't think you mentioned hours run , on this range of engines, overhaul can start @ circa 3000 hrs unless it has been maintained excesevily beyond V/P recomendations , White smoke is indictitive of head & or head gasket problems & this family of engines do have a reputation for head cracks , particularly if a water heater is in cct ..Now we all know that V/P don't make anything themselves (only money) but these engines are rebadged Perkins Peramas & writing here from limey-land I believe that in the US Perkins support is better than V/P ? ..If you are not the grimy fingernail type , you don't have to use specifically a marine engineer , this work should be well in the remit of a small town auto mech whom should know local machining shops whom can rework the head . with the head off you can check the bore wear ,, get the injectors recalibrated at a diesel shop ,, & save on renewal ,,,

lo2jones 28-12-2020 08:41

A knowledgeable and trustworthy mechanic is what you need. Theyíll help you find the best answer. It wonít be cheap...the best mechanics never are...

NNBill 28-12-2020 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABJ87 (Post 3296967)
Good advice above, just a couple of comments. Injectors can also cause white smoke, does the exhaust smell like fuel or slightly sweet (coolant). Pressure testing the cooling system will tell you for sure, many auto parts stores in the us rent testers.

Since there was no mention of cooling system abnormalities, loss of, or coolant blowing out the expansion tank, I too am leaning towards one or more cooked injectors that are dripping causing the white smoke.

nmccubbin 28-12-2020 11:16

As others say, have a good mechanic investigate
My own experience with Volvo's is terrible.
We sold our last one for $1000 and installed a Beta, in 2014
Best this we could have done. Teh SSCA database shows these Kubota based units have MUCH longer meant time between failures than Volvos, and better than yanmar

captchetco 28-12-2020 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottonsail (Post 3296923)
Pull the head to change the head gasket, but how are the piston rings? Here's a simple ring test. With the head off turn the crankshaft until all the pistons are at an even position in the cylinder. Now fill each cylinder with diesel fuel or kerosene. Comeback the next day. If you lost a little of the fuel your rings are good. If the cylinder is empty the rings are worn out.

In either case, be sure and change your oil after the test.

Oohla 28-12-2020 14:48

White smoke not steam means fuel not burning. Common cause would be an injector that needs to be rebuilt.

News

White Smoke Indicates a Faulty Fuel System: Time for a Fuel Injector Service

White Smoke Indicates a Faulty Fuel System: Time for a Fuel Injector Service

The key of longevity for any engine is regular maintenance. Any time you see a change in the behavior, you need to address it. It might be a small problem, it may be the beginning of a huge issue, but either way, a quick reaction will ensure that the engine life is not compromised and that the costs to you are not unnecessarily high. So, what to do if the tailpipe is bellowing white smoke? And I don’t just mean a slight whiff of smoke when starting, or when the engine is at maximum load, I am talking regular usage white smoke. During really cold weather, it is reasonable to expect some, but an engine running at full power should show no visible smoke. If it does, it is time for a fuel injector service.
https://www.pcesandiego.com/images/F...or_service.jpg

Possible causes

The white smoke is a result of combustion temperature in your engine being too low. To be more specific, the white smoke you see is your diesel fuel, unburned, or only partially burned. The commonest reasons for this lie in the fuel system. They range from faulty fuel injectors to retarded fuel injection timing, or even low compression.
Injector pump timing

The commonest cause of white smoke is likely injector pump timing. In order to function properly, a diesel engine needs precise timing of the injector pump and high pressure. So, any decrease in the pressure or delay in the fuel delivery to the combustion chamber will result in incomplete combustion, leading to white smoke. The incorrect timing can be caused by a worn out timing gear or a damaged crankshaft keyway.
Faulty fuel injectors

Faulty fuel injectors are also known to cause white smoke. This occurs when the fuel injector does not spray the appropriate amount of fuel into the combustion chamber. This usually makes an engine a lot louder than normally. In this situation, the best course of action is a fuel injector service, to isolate the faulty injector, and replace or repair it.
Low pressure in the fuel pump

Similarly to the fuel injectors, low pressure in the fuel pump can also lead to white exhaust. This mainly comes to be when air or other things get into the fuel line. The engine with a faulty fuel pump will be a lot quieter, but it will also have a lack of power, often stuttering when revved.
Low cylinder compression

Low cylinder compression is another, albeit not so common cause of white plumes. This is a problem which can have many causes. Broken or leaking valves are among top causes of low compression, but far from only culprits. The cylinders or the rings on the cylinders might be worn from use, which requires replacing them promptly. Yet another option is cylinder glazing, which is basically a patina of sorts coating the cylinder. The only help here is cylinder honing.
The solution

As said at the start of this text, the problem might be a really simple one, like air getting into the fuel supply, which you can mend easily. However, there might be a more serious situation, when water enters the system. This is usually a result of faulty head gaskets or cracked cylinder heads or blocks. The treatment for this kind of failure is often really expensive.
Whatever the cause of white smoke in your diesel engine is, you need to check it, before the situation escalates. Regular diesel engine maintenance should prevent these situations from ever occurring, but be sure to note any change in the behavior of the engine. It could have far-reaching consequences further down the line. Treat your engine well, and it will serve you for a very long time.

SimonFirth 28-12-2020 15:54

If itís Volvo, under 50hp, and painted green, get something else.
The small marine Volvos are known in Oz as ďThe Green DeathĒ

Icarus 28-12-2020 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofeyfoot (Post 3296398)
Is my engine dead? The engine is a Volvo MD 2020 in a 33 foot sailboat. The engine was produced in approximately 2001.

This summer my boat overheated. The collar on the heat exchange came separated from the heat exchange tank and blew out all the coolant. The engine stopped dead ss a result.

This summer the mechanic put in a new heat exchange tank and that side of the engine works fine.

However, now the engine belches white smoke all the time. It doesnít go away after you run the boat for awhile. So Iím thinking that something happened in the overheat situation, maybe a head gasket or something blew. I really donít know much about these things.

So I guess the question is, given that the boat overheated, that a gasket blew, am I now foolish to continue to repair the engine? Should I chuck the engine? Should I fix it? Whatís the likelihood that it will ever be right?

As I said I donít know much about these things I just donít want to buy repairs that will just put the engine on life support.

Thanks.

Michael

Check the engine oil, is it milky? I f yes you have most likely a blown head gasket.
When the engine is running are there bubbles in the header tank? Just leave the cap off and have a look. If yes Head gasket is blown hence the white smoke.
However, there could be a crack in the block or head because of the engine overheating.
I would take the head off and inspect the head and cylinder walls for cracks.
Take the head to be tested and get it surface ground.
Reinstall the head with a new head gasket, torque to specs and you are on your way again.
Head surface grinding maybe 150$
Valve lapping 15$ each
Gasket set 250$?
Labour 400$ not counting removal and installation.
Depends how much you can do yourself regards removal and installation.
I done up my 40-year-old 3-cylinder ISUZU the other month
All up about 700 AUD
Did the work myself.

Icarus 28-12-2020 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bob (Post 3296455)
Mate, given that you acknowledge a lack of experience with engines I would suggest a decent mechanic be employed to at least identify the problem and quote to repair it.
How to find a good mechanic? Simply ask at least six boatowners at your marina, you should get at least three that would recommend the same one, contact that one and see if they can assist.

Good advice, there is a difference between spending 2500$ for a simple repair or 10000$ plus for a new engine plus installation cost.

vic008 28-12-2020 22:28

I endorse 'Parts4engines' good price, quick delivery. Avoid VP spares! Motor certainly worth repairing.

gulfislandfred 28-12-2020 23:41

If it's just a head gasket, it's worth fixing. If it's a cracked block, it's probably new engine time.

If it's a Perkins with Volvo stickers on it, parts are available at a more or less reasonable price. Check the coolant tank for bubbles, and coolant for oil. Dies the oil look creamy? (water/coolant in oil) Do a good close look around the head and block. for leaks.

It's worth it to get a good diagnosis from a good mechanic. If it's a head gasket, and the engine is otherwise OK, pull the head, get a valve job done while it's off, and get your mechanic to reinstall the head with a new gasket.

With the head off, you can check for cracks in the block, but you can't see all the oil and water passages.

If it's a Perkins with Volvo stickers, and you have to replace it, get a Perkins that fits the mounts.