Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Meets & Greets (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Greetings from Canada (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/greetings-from-canada-241759.html)

dmytryk 27-10-2020 12:09

Greetings from Canada

Hello fellow sailors,

After spending many cold month in Canada when the lockdown stated, dealing with 3 kids at home, decided not to spend long winter in the same fashion. Was looking for a boat in US, but borders never opened so, could not buy one.

Crazy idea came up to move to St. Lucia and at least be in a warm country, still keeping an eye on purchasing the boat. After 14 day quarantine is done, it looks like moving in the bubble should not be much of an issue (I hope :)), so travelling to St. Vincent maybe in the cards (I really like Barbados, but not much boat action there.)

Boat budget is under 100k USD, I'm tradesperson/mechanic, so fixing stuff is not an issue, but do not want to spend next 3 years fixing the boat :), before it can actually be used.

How crazy does this sound to you?

Celestialsailor 27-10-2020 18:35

Re: Greetings from Canada

Doesn't sound crazy as much as desperate. Welcome to the forum anyways. Just wondering ...how will the kids make out with schooling?

dmytryk 27-10-2020 19:04

Hey Celestialsailor,

Right now most schools support in-class or fully online tuition, so as long as there is internet, they are fine. Also after doing some research, there are options for disconnected education, i.e khanacademy, that can be pulled offline and served from a computer without internet connection, which covers all grades.

I'm more worried about not finding a boat and being stuck on the island, which is not to the worst either.

GordMay 28-10-2020 02:23

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, dmytryk.

Superseapig 06-11-2020 09:49

I’m sure some situations like this are born of desperation. But I think that in much the same way that companies are realizing they don’t have to have everybody on site in an office, people with sufficient means are questioning whether they really need to continue to live the same lifestyle. Our world doesn’t seem as safe and secure as it did a year ago. It makes makes big life changes seem less risky.
Alternative lifestyles were already seeing growth and I think we’re only going to see more now.
Good luck with your plan Dmytry. Even if it doesn’t actually come to pass. My husband and I have both been happier the last couple of months since we started planning our boat getaway. The planning has been therapeutic.

jackdale 06-11-2020 10:07

Welcome fellow Canuck.

BugzyCan 06-11-2020 10:19

Social interaction is very important for children, and they will not receive that from remote learning, although they may pick up a friend or two locally, I think your children's future will suffer from the move you are suggesting.
Why not move West in Canada? It rarely snows in Vancouver, the winter are fairly mild and you can still go sailing.

chris mac 06-11-2020 11:01

Welcome to,the,forum.
We live in Alberta up till last fall. Now we live aboard and spend winters in bahamas.
Good luck with,your dream. You can make it happen!

dmytryk 09-11-2020 03:46

Thanks Everybody!

dmytryk 09-11-2020 04:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by BugzyCan (Post 3269242)
Social interaction is very important for children, and they will not receive that from remote learning, although they may pick up a friend or two locally, I think your children's future will suffer from the move you are suggesting.
Why not move West in Canada? It rarely snows in Vancouver, the winter are fairly mild and you can still go sailing.

You are absolutely correct, except if the school lock down again they will not have any interaction again, but their lifes will be filled with screen time. And unfortunately, limiting what they do is hard and obsession of current culture with ticto*, insta* and so on is making them much more isolated and focused on trends that i want them to be. Also there are a lot places with cruising kids.
So I think isolation on a boat will have much bigger positive impact, than limited interaction in school.

ellaharry45 12-11-2020 00:55

Hey welcome here.