Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Plumbing Systems and Fixtures (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   simplified plumbing, Composting and "direct deposit" (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/simplified-plumbing-composting-and-direct-deposit-239336.html)

Chotu 16-09-2020 18:18

Re: simplified plumbing, Composting and "direct deposit"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanqueray (Post 3234546)
Well, for me, sailing on Lake Michigan, there is no dumping overboard.
What I meant was to have the urinal mounted on the bulkhead, keeping the toilet where it is. The urinal, since it is higher than the tank, maybe can be plumbed directly to the tank (not sure that works on a heel though...maybe needs a shut off valve in the hose). Or it just drains into the toilet bowl, which has to be pumped dry after use.

Just trying to make it easier for the Wednesday night sailing boys to hit the target:trash:

Greg

I see!

Sounds ideal for your setup!

smj 16-09-2020 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanqueray (Post 3234546)
Well, for me, sailing on Lake Michigan, there is no dumping overboard.

What I meant was to have the urinal mounted on the bulkhead, keeping the toilet where it is. The urinal, since it is higher than the tank, maybe can be plumbed directly to the tank (not sure that works on a heel though...maybe needs a shut off valve in the hose). Or it just drains into the toilet bowl, which has to be pumped dry after use.

Just trying to make it easier for the Wednesday night sailing boys to hit the target:trash:

Greg

Tell the Wednesday night sailing boys to have a seat while taking care of business. Itís been the rule on our boats for decades.

owly 16-09-2020 19:05

My direct deposit comments were meant for passage making, not coastal sailing... I thought I made that pretty clear. But there are always the screamers horrified at dropping a turd overboard even a thousand miles from land... as if all creatures in the sea don't **** in the sea also.. unless they happen to also spend time on land.

Most sailors rarely are out of sight of land for very long if at all, so it obviously doesn't apply to them. On passage it makes little sense to use even a composting head, but for normal inshore sailing the composting head makes the most sense to me, as it eliminates the complexity of the systems, the holding tanks, the smelly plumbing... and it always seems to be smelly.

The inescapable reality is that offshore at many if not most men are going to piss over the side when nobody's looking. No sense in pretending otherwise. This is said to be the number one cause of MOB incidents, and at sea recovery is problematic at best. Perhaps a pushpit designed specifically with this in mind would make sense, particularly for the solo sailor.

Manateeman 21-09-2020 14:48

One hand for the man, one hand for the ship. Very old salty advice.
Peanut butter jar. Hold wheel non dominant hand. Pee in jar. Dump over when convenient. Beer drinking requires more jars.
No need to go to the rail.
Avoid discharge near marine mammals or cops.
Cops will ticket. Orcas will eat your rudder.
Manatees will flip their hot biscuits into your cockpit then flatulate upwind of you till you pass out.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his pizza and beer manatee friends:thumb:

owly 21-09-2020 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manateeman (Post 3238152)
One hand for the man, one hand for the ship. Very old salty advice.
Peanut butter jar. Hold wheel non dominant hand. Pee in jar. Dump over when convenient. Beer drinking requires more jars.
No need to go to the rail.
Avoid discharge near marine mammals or cops.
Cops will ticket. Orcas will eat your rudder.
Manatees will flip their hot biscuits into your cockpit then flatulate upwind of you till you pass out.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his pizza and beer manatee friends:thumb:

You won't find manatees or cops on an ocean passage.... Also most folks are not hand steering except for day sailors or close to shore.

Manateeman 22-09-2020 03:50

OH...gee really? Why is it that some posters have absolutely nothing about themselves, their experience or thei boat...if they own one?
Sorry, I should have started my prior post with...
Greetings. The following post contains one real suggestion
Use a peanut butter jar
And a lot of lame, idiotic, manatee fun.
Iím a so so sorry.
Offgassing.
Captain Mark and his dry humor manatees:thumb:

sailorboy1 22-09-2020 05:41

sometimes CF is just a crazy place collecting crazy ............ "stuff"

BTW - I have never peed over the side or into a bucket while sailing (definitely not into any peanut butter jar :facepalm:).