Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   A simple question. (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/a-simple-question-237859.html)

Henry K 01-08-2020 23:39

A simple question.

Hello fellow cruising sailors. People who know one or more things about sailing know the name of Alain Colas. He was a French sailor, who sailed 236 foot 530 GT (with 787kW / 1056hp engine) sailing vessel single-handed in 1976 Single-Handed Trans-Atlantic Race. So my question is: what kind of Captain's/Master's License do you need, to pull off something like this today (with a similar size vessel)? Assuming sailing ship is configured for single-handed sailing and sailor knows what he/she is doing...

LittleWing77 02-08-2020 06:13

Re: A simple question.

:frown:Is this a troll?

Not gonna bite, sorry.

Andreas W 02-08-2020 06:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry K (Post 3199662)
Hello fellow cruising sailors. People who know one or more things about sailing know the name of Alain Colas. He was a French sailor, who sailed 236 foot 530 GT (with 787kW / 1056hp engine) sailing vessel single-handed in 1976 Single-Handed Trans-Atlantic Race. So my question is: what kind of Captain's/Master's License do you need, to pull off something like this today (with a similar size vessel)? Assuming sailing ship is configured for single-handed sailing and sailor knows what he/she is doing...

I remember this. He had a 4 mast boat. Quite a spectacular sight!
I saw some footage of it in a movie about a colleague of his, the famous Eric Tabarly.
Didn't know about that big engine though.

The vessel being a sport boat and not commercial, he would not need any other license than a normal boating license for a motor boat.

Fore and Aft 02-08-2020 14:05

Thanks for posting that question Henry K. I remember years ago (pre google) reading about her and thanks to the internet have found out some more about her. What a beast of a yacht to single hand and then only to come second in the race.
Cheers
The Long, Troubled, Glamorous Life Of Superyacht Phocea | Pacific Islands Report

Orion Jim 02-08-2020 18:33

If I remember correctly the boat was sponsored by, and named, Club Med. It was designed to win the OSTAR then use that notoriety to enhance the marketability as a Club Med cruiser.

Henry K 03-08-2020 04:56

Hello Andreas W. I know that you don't need commercial Master's licence for a recreational boat up to 24 meters (78,7 ft) long. Anything over that I'm not so sure. It depends on national legislation of a sailor's home country though. Thank you for your answer.

Henry K 03-08-2020 05:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fore and Aft (Post 3200086)
Thanks for posting that question Henry K. I remember years ago (pre google) reading about her and thanks to the internet have found out some more about her. What a beast of a yacht to single hand and then only to come second in the race.
Cheers
The Long, Troubled, Glamorous Life Of Superyacht Phocea | Pacific Islands Report

Hi Fore and Aft! Sailing is a pretty straightforward business. Even a 236 ft four masted boat. It was probably highly automated (self tacking staysails, bow/stern thrusters etc). What baffles me is, how did he dock that boat single-handed? Or did he receive outside assistance for docking? Best regards.

Henry K 03-08-2020 05:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion Jim (Post 3200257)
If I remember correctly the boat was sponsored by, and named, Club Med. It was designed to win the OSTAR then use that notoriety to enhance the marketability as a Club Med cruiser.

Hello Orion Jim. Thanks. I just learned something new.

DDabs 03-08-2020 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry K (Post 3200465)
Hi Fore and Aft! Sailing is a pretty straightforward business. Even a 236 ft four masted boat. It was probably highly automated (self tacking staysails, bow/stern thrusters etc). What baffles me is, how did he dock that boat single-handed? Or did he receive outside assistance for docking? Best regards.

Crew is shuttled to the boat via a tender once it reaches harbor to assist in docking

Henry K 04-08-2020 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDabs (Post 3200536)
Crew is shuttled to the boat via a tender once it reaches harbor to assist in docking

Hello DDabs. Thank you for clarifying that for me. But it makes me wonder... what is the largest sailboat that has been docked single-handed?

DDabs 04-08-2020 10:34

well- I'm not sure, but whatever it is, it's pointless information... even if you bring a boat of that size into port by yourself, it's not like youre going to hop off and tie all 4+ lines... you would have help from whatever marina you were pulling into.