Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Surveyor in St. Petersburg, FL (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/surveyor-in-st-petersburg-fl-237844.html)

ShapedFuture 01-08-2020 10:01

Surveyor in St. Petersburg, FL

Oh great and humble Cruisers Forum internet family.. I have been lurking on this forum for many years now and so appreciate the treasure trove of knowledge you all provide.

I just signed a purchase agreement on a boat.

It's in St. Petersburg, Florida - I'm looking for any recommendations on a surveyor. The vessel is a Caliber 40.

Currently have 2 potential companies on my list after a short search but have no experience with them..

Sun Coast Marine Surveying
Taylor Marine Surveying & Consulting, LLC

Any info appreciated on a good surveyor.

Thank you!!

DDabs 01-08-2020 10:06

Re: Surveyor in St. Petersburg, FL

Taylor Marine, he's extremely thorough and doesn't miss a beat.

Snore 01-08-2020 12:08

If this is the one in the muni - nice boat!

I am a delivery Capt and do the odd sea trial. Contact rick Shelly, he is incredibly thorough and fair.

To avoid him getting junk calls I will pm his number

PLANET EXPRESS 01-08-2020 12:39

Taylor marine

rwaldrop13 02-08-2020 08:40

We just went thru this about 2 weeks ago. We called Taylor, and he was not available until September. Also, Taylor was "recommended" by the broker I was working with who was also listing the boat I was interested in.

I called this one - Tampa, Florida Accredited and Certified Marine Surveyor - Boat, Ship, and Yacht Inspections

He was incredibly thorough, knowledgeable and kept us from making a $100K mistake. He genuinely cares about the client, not the seller, and will not hold back. He was a little more expensive - but it was a stem-to-stern survey including complete engine examinations, hull, running gear and every single system and component.

sailian89 02-08-2020 09:42

Contact TwoCanSail, Couples Cruising, Buyers Brokers, Consultants and Surveyors which is also Antigua Marine Surveyors

Avionics_Joe 02-08-2020 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snore (Post 3199329)
If this is the one in the muni - nice boat!

I am a delivery Capt and do the odd sea trial. Contact rick Shelly, he is incredibly thorough and fair.

To avoid him getting junk calls I will pm his number

I will second R.D. Shelley Marine Surveyors, we used them to survey our Manta in 2017 and they did a very professional job.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

sailorbobdeb 02-08-2020 17:46

I second Two Can Sail. Have personal experience and are still glad we used them 9 years later. Great job and honest, professional, thorough survey.

ShapedFuture 04-08-2020 08:23

Wow I think everyone and their mama is buying a boat right now.. finding a surveyor with availability in August was a challenge but I got one !

Thank you peeps!

gonesail 04-08-2020 08:45

i used a guy from Snead Island Marine Surveyors in Palmetto .. Ken Hitchins.