Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Navigation (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Navionics Boating HD Position Tracking (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f121/navionics-boating-hd-position-tracking-237723.html)

westwon 29-07-2020 14:04

Navionics Boating HD Position Tracking

Hi all.

My subscription to the charting program has expired over 2 years ago, but the maps are mine (as specified in the Navionics agreement). Suddenly last week, my position information stopped. My Dual XGPS150A gps unit is working (I can monitor it on the same ipad that the Navionics program is on), but not showing up on the charts.
Did Navionics just change a rule to disallow position tracking on their charts when the subscription expires? Is there something else going on? When I select the icon on the chart for GPS (bottom LH corner,), I get a 'Allow this app to determine your location by activating location services in the ipad settings menu', but that selection is greyed-out.

Any ideas? If I have to pay for a new subscription, I will as long as it fixes the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

GreenWave 29-07-2020 14:27

Re: Navionics Boating HD Position Tracking

What version of iPAD and iOS do you have? It could be some incompatibility there. Do you have the latest Navionics app?

westwon 29-07-2020 14:42

Hi Greenwave.

Not sure if I have the latest Navionics app. But the app does work as it has in the past but for the position tracking. I've been using the same Ipad all along as well.
I haven't had any updates from Navionics regarding updates lately.

Everything worked as it has up to last week. There have been no changes at all.

Thanks.

Steve

requiem 29-07-2020 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by westwon (Post 3197049)
When I select the icon on the chart for GPS (bottom LH corner,), I get a 'Allow this app to determine your location by activating location services in the ipad settings menu', but that selection is greyed-out.

Just to be clear, are you referring to that lower left icon being grayed out? If so, that's because the iPad settings are blocking Navionics and you need to fix it there (Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services).

GreenWave 29-07-2020 15:16

Navionics was discontinuing their older apps... so do you have the one labeled 'Navionics Boating'?

westwon 29-07-2020 16:11

Thank you Requiem and Greenwave for your excellent suggestions!.

Requiem's suggestion worked:thumb:

For some reason (update probably), my location services was turned off. All good now!

Steve

Cool Hand Luke 29-07-2020 16:15

I was going to say... definitely update iOS then update app... Navionics is actually pretty good about that. I still update mine every year for the constant updates. It's a small price to pay. But then again... during these troubled times, every dollar counts.

soly2 31-07-2020 03:26

I got yesterday a mail from navionics that " on august 11 they will retire support for the Navionics Boating app.
To continue receiving support and to access new features, we recommend that you download the new Navionics app, Boating HD Marine & Lakes, and transfer your data to the new app."

westwon 31-07-2020 07:51

Hi Soly and Cool Hand.

Thanks for that reminder. I will check to ensure I'm up to date with the IOS and Navionics apps.

I will also admit defeat and pay Navionics for updates to the (excellent) Boating HD program :biggrin:

Steve