Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Plumbing Systems and Fixtures (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Jabsco vflo 5.0 (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/jabsco-vflo-5-0-a-237648.html)

FSmith 28-07-2020 07:58

Jabsco vflo 5.0

This pump didn't work properly from day one. Jabsco replaced it with a conventional pump because they said that many vflo 5.0 had a problem that they didn't understand and couldn't fix. But they continue to sell them? Has anyone fixed one of these?

Shrew 28-07-2020 08:20

Re: Jabsco vflo 5.0

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSmith (Post 3196095)
This pump didn't work properly from day one. Jabsco replaced it with a conventional pump because they said that many vflo 5.0 had a problem that they didn't understand and couldn't fix. But they continue to sell them? Has anyone fixed one of these?

What is the problem you are describing??

FSmith 28-07-2020 09:48

The pump shuts down and will not work. After a while it comes back to life only to shut down again. It also had a problem not shutting off when the pressure is acheived. Jabsco acknowledged these problems and would not replace it with a vflo 5.0 because they said they couldn't guarantee it would work.

Bill O 28-07-2020 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSmith (Post 3196170)
The pump shuts down and will not work. After a while it comes back to life only to shut down again.

How long does it run before shutting down? Is it over heating then after it cools down it works again?
If it's over heating then the thermal overload switch kicks in, so it could be the switch is bad. It looks like it is part of the motor. Tried a muffin fan on another pump that was kicking off due to the thermal switch. It extended the run time but still eventually shut down. Recovered faster w/the fan blowing on the motor.
Another problem w/these pumps was sensing too high of a voltage and shutting down.

captain465 28-07-2020 10:25

I also have one of these pumps, and have experienced those problems. After much back and forth with Jabsco's technical department, and getting nowhere, I started experimenting with various fixes. I discovered that keeping my DC voltage at about 14 volts, the pump would no longer exhibit those problems.
Since all of my other DC devices are able to work at that voltage, nothing seems to be giving me any troubles. YMMV

Shrew 17-08-2020 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSmith (Post 3196170)
The pump shuts down and will not work. After a while it comes back to life only to shut down again. It also had a problem not shutting off when the pressure is acheived. Jabsco acknowledged these problems and would not replace it with a vflo 5.0 because they said they couldn't guarantee it would work.

I've had these exact same issues. Sometimes pump will not fully pressurize and will run very, very, very slowly for hours. OR, it will simply quit (I suspect overheating from the former problem). I have to shut off the breaker for a short while, then turn it back on.

I finally got rid of mine about 2 weeks ago.

FSmith 17-08-2020 08:54

I find it amazing that they still sell a defective product.