Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Anchoring & Mooring (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   Rocna or Manson Supreme? (OP Ducks His Head) (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/rocna-or-manson-supreme-op-ducks-his-head-237554.html)

Chotu 26-07-2020 08:52

Rocna or Manson Supreme? (OP Ducks His Head)

I bough a well used 80lb Rocna anchor a CF member didn’t want anymore. It was too big for his boat.

I had my 80lb Manson Supreme stolen off the bow of my boat in Typical Florida style.

Can I trust the Rocna as much as the Manson Supreme, which held while the eye of a category 4 hurricane passed over my boat?

Hate to have that little feeling in the back of my head thinking about if my anchor is good enough.

200’ chain, bridle, etc... more about the actual anchor.

sailjumanji 26-07-2020 08:54

Re: Rocna or Manson Supreme? (OP Ducks His Head)

I think they are both excellent anchors. We had a traditional Rocna on the last boat, and now a Vulcan on the new boat. I don't think the Vulcan sets as easily as the roll-bar Rocna, but it seems to hold as well. We have never dragged with either.

Thumbs Up 26-07-2020 11:54

The Rocna is just as good except in mud. The turned up edge of the Rocna keeps it from digging in as deep into soft mud.

noelex 77 26-07-2020 12:46

They are both excellent anchors.

The Rocna is slightly better in my view.

Chotu 26-07-2020 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumbs Up (Post 3194677)
The Rocna is just as good except in mud. The turned up edge of the Rocna keeps it from digging in as deep into soft mud.

The Manson Supreme also has what Iím thinking a turned up edge too, yes?

The whole fluke has a C-shape to it. And a roll bar.

Thumbs Up 26-07-2020 14:18

https://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-a...r-original.jpg

See the turned up back edge of the Rocna? It prevents it from setting deeper in mud.

Chotu 26-07-2020 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumbs Up (Post 3194782)
https://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-a...r-original.jpg

See the turned up back edge of the Rocna? It prevents it from setting deeper in mud.

Oh, damn. I see the turned up lip youíre talking about at the rear of the fluke.

Iím in mud plenty. I got the wrong anchor? Ugh.

Maybe I should sell this and get another Manson Supreme?

B-Baysailer 26-07-2020 15:28

The supreme doesn't have a turned up back edge

B-Baysailer 26-07-2020 15:33

The supreme doesn't have a turned up back edge.i have a 45 and a 60 lb

sailorboy1 26-07-2020 16:03

I have a Manson Supreme because I vowed I would never be a source of money for Peter. But I am sure a Rocna is a good anchor.

Personally I believe all anchors are good if you set them well.

B-Baysailer 26-07-2020 16:30

I'm with you on that one

Chotu 26-07-2020 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Baysailer (Post 3194827)
The supreme doesn't have a turned up back edge.i have a 45 and a 60 lb

Right. Which is why I should sell the Rocna and get another Manson Supreme if the Rocna struggles in mud.

evm1024 26-07-2020 17:52

A question you should answer is where was the Rocne made. There was a period early when Rocna moved production to China that they were made from "very flexible steel".

Before that time Rocna were made of Bisplate 80 (like the Manson) which is 700 MPa steel. Then when the "Rocna Mess" (tm) was cleaned up the steel was changed to something less than Bisplate 80 but more the 400 MPa steel that slipped into production.

Old history... But then again I did return a "flexible" steel Rocna to West Marine.

skipmac 26-07-2020 18:02

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the Rocna. Spent weeks in a reversing tidal flow on a slightly undersized Rocna and never moved an inch. Also sat out a couple of gales and a nasty thunderstorm with the same. The only reason I'm not using it is because I switched to a larger Mantus.

If for whatever reason you just can't live with the Rocna and sell it I would go with the Mantus unless you wanted to spend big money and buy an Ultra.

Thumbs Up 26-07-2020 18:07

I have a Rocna. I use a Fortress for mud. Never tried a Manson. Rocna drug in Isla Mujeres.