Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Europe & Mediterranean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   West Coast of Portugal South to North (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/west-coast-of-portugal-south-to-north-237498.html)

Simonradiohead 25-07-2020 08:46

West Coast of Portugal South to North

I'm planning a passage from Gibraltar to Baiona in Mid August

Obviously planning contingencies for bad weather but hoping for good.. My plan A is stay well offshore to avoid nets, hazards and maintain a margin for diceptive swell - but to use the inshore zones for the TSS's at Cape st Vincent and Capo de Roca

I'd be grateful for any input about how far out to go and whether you think there are advantages to a more inshore route

Thanks

boatman61 25-07-2020 09:58

Re: West Coast of Portugal South to North

I always take an inshore route once I get near Lisbon as the wind is usually light to calm and I can take advantage of tides and counter currents.. too far out and you're against the S bound current.. 3 to 5nm off the coast.
But then for me motor sailing the 250 odd nm Lisbon to Baiona in just 2 days saves.. never snagged a pot marker and I've been going up and down since 1996..
Just depends on how long your happy to take..

slug 25-07-2020 10:25

In season itís a nice trip
I prefer to stand offshore both Spain and Portugal
Many small fishing boats and related gear
During the day itís not an issue
At night , with sleepy eyes , it drains your energy

seadago 11-08-2020 01:21

I am doing the same right now in the opposite direction.
In Cascais today, leaving for Sines maybe tomorrow. Took the coastal route so far. Must say, all the way from Baiona, it has been like navigating mine field!! Only daytime sailing (doing this at night is really tempting fate) and then two people on sharp watch all the time, scouting the horizon 30 degrees either side of the bow non stop. I found pot and net buoys anywhere from the 20 to 100 m depth line.
I was wondering wether this situation gets any better between Cascais and Cape St Vincent. If not, I need to replan, because it is turning into very tiring and not very pleasant sailing. Anyone has any advise? Thanks!

boatman61 11-08-2020 04:42

Don't sweat so much over the pots.. in 25yrs sailing this coast I have never fouled one.
As for Cascais to Sines go straight line from the cape.. if you follow the coast you'll just face nore needless stress.

NaClyDog 11-08-2020 04:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 3205878)
Don't sweat so much over the pots.. in 25yrs sailing this coast I have never fouled one.
As for Cascais to Sines go straight line from the cape.. if you follow the coast you'll just face nore needless stress.

Do you prefer you boats with or without prop rope cutters? :biggrin:

boatman61 11-08-2020 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaClyDog (Post 3205884)
Do you prefer you boats with or without prop rope cutters? :biggrin:

Only had one boat fitted with that.. the only things that have fouled my props is plastic waste and they are useless for that.
Otherwise sailing or motoring the many pot markers have never been a problem, bar the odd scratch from a metal pole for the rag/flag.
This is to me akin to the "You'll be sunk by a container" legend.. but I'm on standby for the thousands who have suffered this fate.. :biggrin:

MicHughV 11-08-2020 17:29

if you want to bitch about pots.....try sailing off the coast of Maine at night....c'mon, I dare you, even during the day, it's a minefield...

boatman61 11-08-2020 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MicHughV (Post 3206383)
if you want to bitch about pots.....try sailing off the coast of Maine at night....c'mon, I dare you, even during the day, it's a minefield...

The thing about pot markers on the W coast is the pick up lines where they exist are either lying N or S of the marker buoy.. with the tide flow and most boats are traveling N or S.. and if your motorsailing N why are you tacking. :biggrin:

seadago 12-08-2020 01:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 3206397)
The thing about pot markers on the W coast is the pick up lines where they exist are either lying N or S of the marker buoy.. with the tide flow and most boats are traveling N or S.. and if your motorsailing N why are you tacking. :biggrin:

Thanks Boatman. Yes, I noticed they are laid along isobath lines, certainly between 40 and 70 mts depth. There is always an outlying one, but mostly N to S, because that's the underwater profile of the coast itself.

I guess I'm a bit anxious because I got my prop fouled twice in the last two weeks already, once with a stray rope, and again -like you- with a plastic bag. I rather not have to dive again in the middle of the ocean a third time.
😰 Will keep to the straight line plan Cascais to Espichel, and from there to St Vincent. Thanks again.