Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Anchoring & Mooring (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   CQR Rusting (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/cqr-rusting-237448.html)

sailcomp 24-07-2020 09:29

CQR Rusting

We have a 2018 Tayana 48 which came with a CQR anchor, I'm not sure the weight as it doesn't have any labeling on it. I would like to attach a photo I took of the anchor but can't seem to make that happen. The post where it swivels is horribly rusted so I'm concerned. The photo shows the galvanized anchor, the swivel (pin? post?) is completely rusted but the underside is not. There is additional rust on the sides of the swivel. I would appreciate any input, and if someone can tell me how to attach my photo that would be great too!

AiniA 24-07-2020 10:19

Re: CQR Rusting

Doesn't sound like a genuine CQR as the weight and name and 'Made in Scotland' should be on the anchor. There are lots of clones out there that are just not as good. You can get it hot-dipped galvanized but the cost for doing that would get you well-started for the purchase of a more modern, better anchor. I say that as a CQR user for many years and now a convert to the new generation anchors. If you want to insert a picture you use the little icon second from the right above where you type your message.

thomm225 24-07-2020 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by AiniA (Post 3193201)
Doesn't sound like a genuine CQR as the weight and name and 'Made in Scotland' should be on the anchor. There are lots of clones out there that are just not as good. You can get it hot-dipped galvanized but the cost for doing that would get you well-started for the purchase of a more modern, better anchor. I say that as a CQR user for many years and now a convert to the new generation anchors. If you want to insert a picture you use the little icon second from the right above where you type your message.

Yeah, my lower chain has some surface rust on it but my CQR has absolutely no rust on it and is at least 20 years old. It's an original with patent number....

sailcomp 24-07-2020 11:44

Thanks for your reply! When I click on the Insert Image icon it only provides me to enter a URL and I don't know what to do with that....???

Cheechako 24-07-2020 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailcomp (Post 3193257)
Thanks for your reply! When I click on the Insert Image icon it only provides me to enter a URL and I don't know what to do with that....???

Go to "advanced"
Clik on "manage attachments" down below
Clik on "Browse " and then your picture on your computer
Clik on "Upload" in the manage attachments window

Then post. yeah... it's idiocy:banghead:

noelex 77 24-07-2020 12:37

If it does not have any labelling then it is not a genuine CQR. If the pivot point is corroded then the geometry is compromised.

It is time to scrap the anchor.

To post a photo, this thread may help with providing instructions:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...st-133457.html

Cheechako 24-07-2020 12:53

The only genuine CQR I know of without the labeling was the small 25# 'er.

sailcomp 24-07-2020 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheechako (Post 3193270)
Go to "advanced"
Clik on "manage attachments" down below
Clik on "Browse " and then your picture on your computer
Clik on "Upload" in the manage attachments window

Then post. yeah... it's idiocy:banghead:

pardon my ignorance but where is "advanced"?

steffan 24-07-2020 13:26

My 25# CQR backup is labelled with at CQR and 25. No Scotland that I recall. Came with the boat, but no way I would trust it as a primary.

CassidyNZ 24-07-2020 13:32

I have a stainless ďCQRĒ, donít know if itís genuine, probably not but looks exactly the same.

On mine, the pivot pin was badly worn and the flukes were threatening to come off. I was about to dump it when I decided to repair instead. Used a thin cutting disc, I cut through the pin from both sides of the shank. Used a heavy punch and hammer and drove the remaining pin out of the shank and reassembled the anchor with a new 20mm stainless pin. Looks and functions like new.

As far as re-galvanising a genuine CQR, be aware that they have a pocket in the tip filled with lead that positions the anchor for better setting. When galvanising, the heat applied melts the lead out and upsets the balance of the anchor. Thatís one of the reasons why CQR anchors have such a bad rep - the original structure has been meddled with.

Cheechako 24-07-2020 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailcomp (Post 3193319)

Push the "edit" button
Look on the lower line for a button named "Go Advanced"

JPA Cate 24-07-2020 13:41

Hi, Sailcomp,

If you're using the quick reply box it is below it, says "Go Advanced". Good luck with it. What noelex wrote is correct, and he's more an expert than me, anyhow. The deal with CQR's is that the pivot hole can be built back up, so it can be repaired, and regalvanized, but I wouldn't bother unless you're certain they'll know what they're doing and you could still trust it-- but you'll be way better off since yours is a knock-off anyway, if you invest in a new generation anchor.

CF has two main anchoring threads, one by noelex "Pictures of Anchors Setting", having to do with anchors in bottoms in the Mediterranean; and one by Panope, "Videos of Anchors Setting". Both are very long threads, comparing anchors' performance, and I found both highly informative.

Ann

CassidyNZ 24-07-2020 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailcomp (Post 3193319)

Your post that asks the question is already “advanced”. “Go advanced” is applicable when you start from a “Quick reply”. Once you are busy creating your post, scroll the screen up and a window called “Additional options” appears. 2nd box down is “Manage attachments”. Click the button - easy from there.

GTom 24-07-2020 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by CassidyNZ (Post 3193323)
As far as re-galvanising a genuine CQR, be aware that they have a pocket in the tip filled with lead that positions the anchor for better setting. When galvanising, the heat applied melts the lead out and upsets the balance of the anchor. Thatís one of the reasons why CQR anchors have such a bad rep - the original structure has been meddled with.

AFAIK genuine CQR-s have no led in their tips, copies do. Anyway, better to drill a small hole to check.

Davo1404 24-07-2020 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by AiniA (Post 3193201)

Good advice. Definitely sounds like a clone.