Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Snatch Block for Jib Sheets (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f116/snatch-block-for-jib-sheets-237444.html)

a64pilot 24-07-2020 08:15

Snatch Block for Jib Sheets

1 Attachment(s)
I want to replace this block with a snatch block, itís a Ronstan and the track width is 1.25Ē Sheet lines are 9/16Ē I believe.
Anyone know of a way to do this?

slug 24-07-2020 08:35

Re: Snatch Block for Jib Sheets

1 Attachment(s)
Snatch block are weak and donít stand up

Purchase a normal, high resistance. non stand up block Then hang it from the lifelines

sandy stone 24-07-2020 08:37

Check the Garhauer website under "track car slides ". You may find a car that fits your track, with a big enough padeye to attach a snatch block.

a64pilot 24-07-2020 08:43

Nothing wrong with existing block, what I would like to do is remove the line from it without having to run it all the way out.
I have two cars and at times I only want to use this aft most one, a snatch block would make this easier.

thinwater 24-07-2020 08:45

Consider the Garhauer 60SN. SWL 3500 pounds, $170. I have used them in this application for many years. They do not stand-up, of course.

Whether a snatch block is the right answer is another question.

Snore 24-07-2020 08:53

On my Tartan 33 I have have Garhauer adjustable cars and use a snatch block when AWA >90. This gives me the best of both worlds.

When angle is >90, I pull the adjustable car all the way back, aft of the boarding gate and put a snatch block on the jib sheet, routing it outside of the life lines, through the gate, to the Genoa track block and then to the winch.

Sounds more complex than it is.

Frankly 24-07-2020 10:16

If the reason for two blocks is to allow jib sheet positioning as you fall off the wind, might want to try a snatch block on a short length of line.

I have my track mounted car located for close hauled. When the winds moves aft to the point that the top of the jib starts to luff, I attach a snatch block/ line to the spring line cleat. Adjustment is infinite, easy, and the loads are light (on a 32 anyway). Sailing this way for years. IMO sure beats trying to move the car on the track.

Keep a good grip on the assy until secured, don't think those snatch blocks will float (have thought about running the line through small float), but have not lost one yet. I am bad about closing the gate after the horse is gone.

Frankly

Now that the heat is off of Jacksonville you can resurrect the generator starting battery issue.

roverhi 24-07-2020 11:29

Buy a 1 1/4" car with an eye large enough for the snapshackle on the snatch block and Bob's your uncle. Snatch blocks are my preferred jib sheet blocks because of all the options you have in running the line.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Garhau...AAAOSwwlxevxYt

a64pilot 24-07-2020 11:37

Boat has two blocks now, the forward one is mostly used, the second is to guide the line, but occasionally you only need the aft one, which of course means furling the sail and removing the line, skipping the forward block.
Forward block wasn’t used for the 135 Genoa but as I’m now going back to a 110, it seemed to me snatch block on the forward block would just make things easier, if it wasn’t too difficult, but if it is, well the boat has sailed as in for 33 yrs, likely it will continue to do so.

Gen battery will happen when I get a round tuit. I have all the pieces parts now including a custom battery bias that fits the battery perfectly. I’ll get to it.
I have a battery bank to relocate and replace when they come in, and will haul, drill the shaft for a cotter key and replace the prop and I’m going for a dripless shaft seal, although my current Teflon packing hasn’t leaked for three years

a64pilot 24-07-2020 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverhi (Post 3193245)
Buy a 1 1/4" car with an eye large enough for the snapshackle on the snatch block and Bob's your uncle. Snatch blocks are my preferred jib sheet blocks because of all the options you have in running the line.

Thatís pretty much what I was wanting to do, but is width the only measurement to be concerned with, are some tracks deeper than others?
I canít find a Ronstan track, except for 1Ē for small boats.

a64pilot 24-07-2020 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinwater (Post 3193139)
Consider the Garhauer 60SN. SWL 3500 pounds, $170. I have used them in this application for many years. They do not stand-up, of course.

Whether a snatch block is the right answer is another question.

Just looking it looks like you May could add a spring to make them stand up if thatís what you needed. Iím not sure itís really necessary.
Iíd want to safety wire the quick release though

Not cheap are they :)

Cheechako 24-07-2020 12:09

1 Attachment(s)
Buy a car with a sturdy loop on it. Attach good snatch block. I used to use the Nicro Fico rubber sleeved snatch blocks with integral Snap shackle and they lasted for years never a failure racing or cruising. moved some from boat to boat and sold them after selling.
They looked a lot like this Ronstan:

JPA Cate 24-07-2020 14:40

You won't need to safety wire the quick release. Never had one ever come open. But, do not trust snap shackles for going aloft, either.

Ann

Scubaseas 24-07-2020 17:30

Another vote for Garhauer snatch blocks.

Secondshift 24-07-2020 17:37

My only concern would be the hardware not getting along for a tack/jibe. I believe the whole purpose of the spring is to maintain a good preload angle.

But found this searching "1 1/4" genoa track car ".

https://www.shopsoundboatworks.com/s...yABEgKOMPD_BwE

...and free shipping. Oooh.

Best Regards