Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/)
-   -   Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/yacht-zatara-arrvies-in-fiji-237324.html)

Zatara55 21-07-2020 16:43

Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji
 
https://fijisun.com.fj/2020/07/20/port-denarau-marina-boss-denies-turning-american-yacht-away/

Here y’all all go.

atoll 22-07-2020 01:07

Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji
 
https://fijisun.com.fj/2020/07/20/po...an-yacht-away/

ttex 22-07-2020 01:57

Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji
 
Green always wins in the end I reckon.

arsenelupiga 22-07-2020 02:20

Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji
 
glad they have made it. it was sooo much hate/jelaoiusy on CF for some reason.

I mean it is true, NZ is cold and rainy and miserable during winter.

LittleWing77 22-07-2020 03:39

Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttex (Post 3191485)
Green always wins in the end I reckon.

Green meaning US money or green the colour? :wink: (See my superstition thread from a couple of weeks ago.) :biggrin:

I thought Fiji was the only island group that was open right now? In which case, they chose responsibly and altered their plans to arrive somewhere where they'd be causing the least upset.

(Please note: I have no interest in YouTubers and their "channels". I avoid them like the plague.)

That said, Zatara, if you read this, make sure you go climb the almost-dormant volcano. The tribe who lives on the island will provide a guide (for a donation) and there is also an amazing waterfall and swimming lagoon at its base. Bring your bathing suit!

Bula! LittleWing77 :biggrin:

El Pinguino 22-07-2020 03:43

Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttex (Post 3191485)
Green always wins in the end I reckon.

Surely you aren't suggesting that bribes have been payed!

( I had no idea what you meant by 'green' until LittleWing suggested it )

Pete7 22-07-2020 04:49

Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Pinguino (Post 3191503)
Surely you aren't suggesting that bribes have been payed!

( I had no idea what you meant by 'green' until LittleWing suggested it )


I took it to mean the islands need the tourist dollars, so if one can open with some hoops to jump through for visitors to minimise the risk, then word gets out and they benefit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arsenelupiga (Post 3191490)
glad they have made it. it was sooo much hate/jelaoiusy on CF for some reason. I mean it is true, NZ is cold and rainy and miserable during winter.

Compared to what? Been to England recently? :wink:

NaClyDog 22-07-2020 04:51

Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji
 
So, they were right; the rules don't apply to them.


Carry on, nothing to see here.


That's sending the right message Fiji. :banghead: But, your country, your rules.

Lodesman 22-07-2020 05:22

Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji
 
Stupid article; it's missing context. Who "claimed" the yacht had been turned away? Why? Was there an issue? Math really isn't a strong suit either - if you need a 14-day quarantine at sea, depart NZ 29 June, then why do you still require 5 days Q'd at anchor as of 20 July?

El Pinguino 22-07-2020 05:33

Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji
 
According to MarineTraffic they arrived on the 11th July so it would appear the clock started on arrival and passage time did not count.

Would have been simpler to wait and do the proper paperwork before sailing. Would have been clear of quarantine only a day or so later..

NaClyDog 22-07-2020 05:49

Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji
 
The passage time didn't count because they had a stop at Minerva Reef. The Fiji Blue Lane procedures seemed to have been clear on having no stops once you depart towards Fiji.


That said, they were also quite clear about the other stuff and that didn't turn out to mean anything.:facepalm:

ttex 22-07-2020 07:17

Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 (Post 3191518)
I took it to mean the islands need the tourist dollars, so if one can open with some hoops to jump through for visitors to minimise the risk, then word gets out and they benefit.

This is what I meant.

El Pinguino 22-07-2020 14:13

Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji
 
The tourism industries in every other country in the SW Pacific would dearly love to get back into business... a handful of yachts turning up wouldn't make it happen though.

I suspect this is down to the fact that between six and nine 'pleasure vessels' have turned up ( not only from NZ )before the protocols were established and procedures put in place.
Bit difficult chucking people out when they have nowhere else to go...

The piece in the Fiji Star? Their attention brought to the situation by a local resident who knows Zatara's track record?.... that's what happens when you have 'form'. Strange it doesn't mention any of the other 'bolters' from Renegade on down...

NaClyDog 22-07-2020 14:16

Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Pinguino (Post 3191935)
The tourism industries in every other country in the SW Pacific would dearly love to get back into business... a handful of yachts turning up wouldn't make it happen though.

I suspect this is down to the fact that between six and nine 'pleasure vessels' have turned up ( not only from NZ )before the protocols were established and procedures put in place.
Bit difficult chucking people out when they have nowhere else to go...

The piece in the Fiji Star? Their attention brought to the situation by a local resident who knows Zatara's track record?.... that's what happens when you have 'form'. Strange it doesn't mention any of the other 'bolters' from Renegade on down...

The publication is "The Sun" and if it's anything like any other Sun publications in most parts of the world, it's one wrung above tabloid trash.

El Pinguino 22-07-2020 14:25

Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NaClyDog (Post 3191937)
The publication is "The Sun" and if it's anything like any other Sun publications in most parts of the world, it's one wrung above tabloid trash.

Oops my bad .... sun ... star.... first coffee of the day.
The Sun in the UK is one step *below* tabloid trash... such as the Daily Wail.

They - the Fiji Sun - were put onto the story by someone and it shouldn't have come from a vessel in quarantine but who knows...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:21.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.