Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Emergency, Disaster and Distress (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f158/)
-   -   Ship Fire on USS Bonhomme Richard in San Diego (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f158/ship-fire-on-uss-bonhomme-richard-in-san-diego-236858.html)

atoll 12-07-2020 12:38

Ship Fire on USS Bonhomme Richard in San Diego

sailors seen running from the ship which is currently on fire,fire believed to have reached fuel tanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYydnh1DGa4

OloteleMtn 12-07-2020 17:16

Re: Ship Fire on USS Bonhomme Richard in San Diego

Looks pretty involved....holding good thoughts for all there and their families.

roverhi 12-07-2020 20:41

Think I heard there is only a million gallons of fuel onboard the Bonhomme Richard. They are talking about the fire burning for days. Think it will be a few weeks before the ship sails again.

Bill Seal 12-07-2020 20:56

Back in WWII, damage control were trained to put out fires.
When I went to USCG boot camp, we went to USN Treasure Island firefighting school where we learned (first hand) how to put out fuel fires with water.
I guess nowadays, if they can't do it with a joy stick and touch screen, they're SOL. :whistling:

JSWillis 12-07-2020 21:17

There is a point when you have to just say screw it and lock the hatch down secure ventilation and flood the space with as much AFFF as possible and run for the hills. hahaha It will be a few months before she ever gets underway again....

AndyEss 12-07-2020 22:04

The boat was in for maintenance.

I read earlier today, that out of a regular crew of about 1000, only a skeleton crew of 160 were onboard.

I’m not sure if damage control parties with one man in seven would be that effective in fighting a major fire.

rslifkin 13-07-2020 05:02

On top of a limited crew, if they were doing maintenance, who knows what was opened up or unable to be closed off. So some of the normal methods they would use to contain a fire may be been unavailable.

Bill Seal 13-07-2020 08:33

Maintenance...
Like:
Notre Dame Cathedral
Chernoble
Three Mile Island
The liner Normandie
etc

Maybe just leave things alone.

BlueH2Obound 13-07-2020 18:29

There's a good chance the ship will be found to be not economically repairable. It is already 23 years old, and even it IS deemed to be repairable, it will be years, probably 3 to 5 before it is available to the fleet again, and then it will be 26 to 28 years old. That much heat, that much fire, burning for days, they'll be finding additional damage long into any repair job. Metallurgy changes in the steel alone due to the heat will require the replacement of much of the ship. Just a layman's view, no personal experience with EOD's for ships, my experience was limited to Aviation Accident Investigation and Aviation Safety . . .

StuM 13-07-2020 19:19

3 hours 24 minutes long video?

tl;dw

How about a brief synopsis?

OloteleMtn 13-07-2020 19:50

Ship;fire.

atoll 13-07-2020 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuM (Post 3185340)
3 hours 24 minutes long video?

tl;dw

How about a brief synopsis?

it is a recording of a live unfolding "breaking "news channel with a rolling news feed.
they were live when i posted the thread and link.

kmacdonald 13-07-2020 20:04

Another embarrassment in a long chain of embarrassments for the Navy. If they aren't used to it by now they should be.

StuM 13-07-2020 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by OloteleMtn (Post 3185357)
Ship;fire.

Succinct and to the point. Thank you. :biggrin:

OloteleMtn 13-07-2020 20:19

:thumb:You are welcome. I heard the fire was due to welding, no confirmation, big loss but we still have the world's most powerful Navy.