Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Construction, Maintenance & Refit (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   build wharam tiki (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/build-wharam-tiki-236312.html)

Cacafuego 29-06-2020 13:45

build wharam tiki

I am kicking around the idea of building a wharam tiki 21 or 26. i see they want more than $500 for the plans. this there a source for cheaper plans?

Fore and Aft 29-06-2020 14:15

Re: build wharam tiki

Cacafuego this is the wrong forum to be asking that. That's James intellectual property and trying to screw a designer out of his fees is pretty poor form.
Cheers

Cacafuego 29-06-2020 15:36

So you have never bought a car or book second hand? I don't see the difference. What would be the correct forum for that?
Cheers

SVHarmonie 29-06-2020 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacafuego (Post 3175103)
So you have never bought a car or book second hand? I don't see the difference. What would be the correct forum for that?
Cheers

The best forum is StealingIntellectualProperty.com

snort 29-06-2020 16:09

Compared to the cost of marine plywood, hardwood, rigging, mast, winches, and all the other things that make up a sailboat, the plans will be one of your lower cost items. It's all relative and why deny someone trying to make a living?
Now, if it were Jeff Bezos, you might have a moral relativity issue to consider, but it still wouldn't make it right to shortchange the designer.

funjohnson 29-06-2020 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacafuego (Post 3175103)
Cheers

I have a set of design plans in front of me. Here is what is written in the margin of each page:

"THIS DRAWING AND THE DESIGN INFORMATION ASSOCIATED WITH IT IS THE COPY RIGHT PROPERTY OF --- DESIGNS. THE USE OF THE DESIGN INFORMATION ON THIS DRAWING, OR ANY OTHER DESIGN INFORMATION RELATED TO THIS DESIGN IN ANY FORM INCLUDING ELECTRONIC CUTTING FILES AND EXCHANGE FILES IS RESTRICTED TO PERSONS OR COMPANIES WHO HAVE A CURRENT LICENCE AGREEMENT TO USE THIS DESIGN INFORMATION.
ONE BOAT ONLY FROM THIS SET OF PLANS"

Besides the drawings, you're paying for the license to build one boat.

Matt

Cacafuego 29-06-2020 20:41

I can see that this is the forum for wannabe armchair sailors who sit around sifting through forum discussions to pass the time. I found the plans on FB in about 20 minutes.

StuM 29-06-2020 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacafuego (Post 3175309)
I can see that this is the forum for wannabe armchair sailors who sit around sifting through forum discussions to pass the time. I found the plans on FB in about 20 minutes.

Nope, it's the forum for honest people with ethics / scruples.

Not so much for pirating scumbags who are proud of ripping people off.

Apt username by the way:
(swaggering braggart or boaster. literally: person who shits fire)

Franziska 29-06-2020 23:23

So, you want to rip off the person who, in the end, provides you with a delightful time on the water?
He, and many other in the field have studied the subject for many years and put a lot of effort into ensuring that their designs work.
Further they have families to support, make a living, finance an office infrastructure and unfortunately often enough need to finance hefty indemnity insurances.

Very often a designer only makes a very small income per plan if you look at the effort put into it.
James Wharram and Richard Woods for example are very modest in their prices. So to rip them off makes your quest even more disgraceful.

May I ask what your job is? How would you feel if someone would take the same attitude towards your own work?

If you are of a very modest income yourself, you could perhaps ask the designer for a little discount on one of the smaller boat plans, some of them may be willing to support that idea if someone can really convince them of their need.

Fore and Aft 30-06-2020 03:12

Well said Franziska, the other thing with buying plans is you get to ask the designer questions if you get stuck. Would love to listen into the conversation if this pirate ever rang James!
Cheers

boatman61 30-06-2020 04:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacafuego (Post 3175309)

Then why are you wasting time with us 'Wannabe's when you could be spending time with the FB "I am's".:biggrin:
May the Farce be with you.. :thumb: