Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Multihull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   When is it too late to start living the dream? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/when-is-it-too-late-to-start-living-the-dream-236287.html)

tydickinson 29-06-2020 07:15

When is it too late to start living the dream?

I'm retiring this coming year. I've always sailed small sailboats, but never sailed a larger multihull and only up to a 26' monohull. I want to educate myself on weather, navigation, sailing, maintenance, docking and so much more. I think this may take several years. At the end if I am still enjoying it and I can convince my wife to join me, I want to buy a 45' or so multihull and cruise the world. I am 60 now. In pretty good health at the moment. Is the clock ticking? Do I have the time to do all of this education and still be fit to cruise the world?

JimsCAL 29-06-2020 07:28

Re: When is it too late to start living the dream?

All depends on your health. I know a number of members of my yacht club that sold their boats as they got into their mid-70s as they no longer felt confident sailing their own boats. Balance issues seemed to be the most common concern.
And I know others that are in their 80s that still own and sail their own boats.

FSmith 29-06-2020 07:46

Age is only a number. Your as YOUNG as you feel physically and mentally.

Time2Go 29-06-2020 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by tydickinson (Post 3174563)
I'm retiring this coming year. I've always sailed small sailboats, but never sailed a larger multihull and only up to a 26' monohull. I want to educate myself on weather, navigation, sailing, maintenance, docking and so much more. I think this may take several years. At the end if I am still enjoying it and I can convince my wife to join me, I want to buy a 45' or so multihull and cruise the world. I am 60 now. In pretty good health at the moment. Is the clock ticking? Do I have the time to do all of this education and still be fit to cruise the world?

Iíve got six years on you and started long distance cruising
7 years ago. Alas crewing on others boats. Wife is definitely not into it and
I donít like to do the same passage twice. When Iím about 70 the plan is to buy
a Bahamas boat and explore them and the Caribbean till I set sail
for the celestial sea. I suggest you do a few passages on a Cat before you
purchase. Much to my surprise I found that I prefer monos.
Found them to be more sea kindly
My favorite boat by far was the Hylas 54
Loved the berth right next keel stepped mast.
Just me though, to each his own
YOU ARE NOT TOO OLD
Cheers
Neil

SVHarmonie 29-06-2020 08:46

I wonder, why would you chose a 45 foot cat for an older couple? That's a HUGE boat for two people! Both in terms of maintenance, financials, learning curve, and high loads that make things hard to handle in an emergency.

This is not at all intended as cat bashing, it's just I see a lot of people without sailing background buying cats simply because they look more like a house. For a lot of people a cat is the perfect boat, for a lot of people it is not.

NorthernMac 29-06-2020 08:48

When youíre dead.

If youíre 60 just means you have to move faster and want is more than some 20 or 30 something.

Good luck and have fun!

ohdrinkboy 29-06-2020 08:53

Personally, I think you need to figure out your spousal situation. I'm a few years behind you, and my wife will likely not go. However, she will fly down and meet me from time to time. This decision greatly impacts the boat I get.

I suggest you do a few 2 week charters with just you and your wife. Then you will have a much better idea. Yeah, it is a lot of money, but much cheaper than buying a 45' cat when you could go with a 40' mono.

bjp447 29-06-2020 09:32

Never too late, just might need a little modification. I am 73 and still keep adjusting.

Greg Mason 29-06-2020 09:36

It is too late when you think you will have regrets. Dreams never end, only life does.

srbigham 29-06-2020 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Mason (Post 3174716)
It is too late when you think you will have regrets. Dreams never end, only life does.

I love your quote.

daviddiscenza 29-06-2020 09:41

It's too late the second after you've drawn your last breath. Is the clock ticking? Yes! Will you have enough time to learn what you need to cruise the world? That is known but to God. Get moving.

TideTime 29-06-2020 09:50

I would love to be 60 years of age and just considering purchasing larger boat and getting into serious cruising. As it is, I am about to turn 80 and in the process of planning my first trip, in my own boat, from Cape Cod, Massachusetts to the west coast of Florida via the AICW and GICW. Underwent bypass surgery last year, but arthritic problem poses most serious concern at present.

sailorboy1 29-06-2020 09:51

Quote:

IIs the clock ticking? Do I have the time to do all of this education and still be fit to cruise the world?

The clock is always ticking until it ................................. stops! Don't let yours stop before hand.

Yes you have time. It only takes a few days to read the basics and everything else can just be learned along the way just as well, if not better, than just sitting around waiting.

HBrew 29-06-2020 09:52

Never - what have you got to lose?
You canít replace experience, but you can accelerate your learning curve. I signed up for a 6 month program with Yachtmaster sailing school in Cape Town during which I sailed 2,500 miles, learned navigation, diesel maintenance, STCW (first aid, safety at sea etc) radar operation, radio operators license, how to manage a boat and crew, all the basic boat operations, including docking, man overboard etc and got qualified to skipper offshore.

Also, once youíve done this, youíll really know how much you want to sail. Then, as suggested elsewhere, do a few charters with your wife to see what kind of boat you want to buy and to see whether she enjoys it too.

ArmyDaveNY 29-06-2020 09:53

When is it too late to start living the dream? It is too late when you find you are always saying I can't do that and find excuses to NOT do something. If instead you list obstacles and find ways to overcome them, you will be good to go.

Some people are old regardless of their physical age. Others will be young no matter how many years pass. If a guy with one arm can go sailing, so can you. If a guy with no legs can live the dream, so can you.

You may have to make adjustments. There is a guy in my yacht club who is well into his nineties and rest assured, he is no longer grinding. He brings people who do the reefing, handle the winches, etc. The point is that he didn't say he can't do that. He asked what he had to do to overcome his limitations. Eric Forsyth (Yacht Fiona) has been blue water cruising for decades and well into his eighties. He has circumnavigated several times including the Northwest Passage, and has over 200,000 miles of blue water sailing under his belt, many of which were in his eighties. There are many others likewise who found a way.

Good luck with your quest!

Dolphin460 29-06-2020 09:55

Answer: when you are dead or you just moved into a nursing home not by choice!

Cheechako 29-06-2020 09:58

If your health is good you are fine. Buy something now though and start cruising locally. See how much you really want to. By 70 it's going to get a lot harder for most.

Tomoonifly 29-06-2020 10:49

Agree with ArmyDaveNY. We donít quit playing because we get old....we get old because we quit playing. Iím turning 69 in a couple of weeks and last year spent 5 months diving and spearing the invasive lionfish in Curacao and plan to return there this winter. My dream is to buy a cat and sail the Caribbean to reefs where there are no or few divers controlling the lionfish population. My wife just says ďIíll miss youĒ so Iím still working on a different response.

Ms J-37 29-06-2020 11:04

Yes, the clock is ticking! Go-go-go! My husband, a lifelong sailor, always put sailing on the back burner, though he gave his son the gift of sailing and he is a naval architect. I met my husband late, but I became a lover of sailing and we shared that dream, going from Precision 18, then a Precision 21, and finally in 2015 our dream boat,. J37. Then he was diagnosed with Parkinson's and soon after a Parkinson's-like ailment far more severe and aggressive. My husband had never missed a day of work to sickness. We enjoyed our J37 for two years, but we're unable to take the dream to the level we intended, as he dies this past February. All of our parents lived healthily well into their 90s. You just never know.
Get going. Don't wait. Do it now. Learn as you go. Good luck!

Emouchet 29-06-2020 11:12

Do like the Pardey used to say: Go small, go now.

MIRELOS 29-06-2020 11:15

I am 72 now, bought my 60' cat 10yrs ago after 30 yrs on monos, enjoying it all...go for it

Sailorman Ed 29-06-2020 11:17

tydickinson - 60 is a great age! Find your local Power Squadron and take every class they offer now! They are excellent and my wife felt much more confident from them. And follow a couple Utubers, I am sure there must be some around age 60. And read all the threads here that appeal to you.
We went from a 35' cat to a 40" cat and while very spacious, is more boat than we need. There is no way I would want a 45' cat. I suggest you look at a Gemini, then make friends with some cat owners and offer to crew as needed. Or charter the smallest cat you can for just the 2 of you.

Ms J-37 has given you some powerful advice - follow it!

Enfant Du Vent 29-06-2020 11:28

Ahoy Captain Wannabe:

Years ago my girlfriend and I were anchored in March Harbor, Bahamas. We look at each other and said what are those old farts doing out here? They were anchored out also and it took them about 10 minutes to climb down into their dinghy.

They sort of had the last laugh: Got chatting with them at dinner as we sat at the next table. He was in his early 80s, she was in her 70s. BOTH had health issues which would have stopped many....but not them.

PS: The name of their boat, about a 40' monohull, was Last Hurrah.

dockgoody 29-06-2020 11:31

Iím 83, though not doing passages anymore, I get out in the ocean 2-3 times a week for about 4 hours. I have a 30í monohull and sail single handed. Stop dreaming and do it.

Scaramanga F25 29-06-2020 11:32

I began cruising again (did 7 years full time at age 30 , W32) then racing an ultralite for a dozen years, again at age 50 on a Morgan 36T 6 months year until I was 54, then on a C.C, 41, 6 months of the year until I was 62 when my wife quit. I would have been ok for maybe 10 more years. When my wife was no longer willing I sailed alone on a 25' down south and on a 27 footer up north in the summer. I could still do it now on a modern 30 - 33 footer at age 76. I am healthy and have been sailing big boats for 46 years.

BlackHeron 29-06-2020 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVHarmonie (Post 3174670)
I wonder, why would you chose a 45 foot cat for an older couple? That's a HUGE boat for two people! Both in terms of maintenance, financials, learning curve, and high loads that make things hard to handle in an emergency.

This is not at all intended as cat bashing, it's just I see a lot of people without sailing background buying cats simply because they look more like a house. For a lot of people a cat is the perfect boat, for a lot of people it is not.

Bingo. I couldn't have said it better myself. I'd like to add that if one can maybe afford a cat in 5-10 more years of working then why not quit right now and fo cruising with the money you do have and actually be able to be a bit looser with the budget with a much more affordable monohull?

The smaller you go the easier the boat will be to handle short and single-handed. I see so many struggling newbies with way more boat than their skills and sometimes even strength can handle. Sure there are power this and power that but $$$$ for both initial purchase and maintenance.

Go small go now. Use the extra money you save for luxuries on shore now and again. Also, learn to anchor out mostly. I can't believe the money many cruisers throw at transient dockage on an nearly daily basis -also something that goes way up with larger footage and often even more again for multi-hulls.

drrossw 29-06-2020 11:51

I had been planning for my entire adult life to go sailing when I retire. Then all of a sudden I turned around and realized that I am 67 and time is ticking. I am looking for a boat now. A monohull in the 35 to 40' range to keep dockage, etc. manageable. Everything gets a lot more expensive over 40'.

Go for it. You are not too old. Talk to anyone at the end of life and you will find most regret what they did not do, not what they did do. cheers.

tydickinson 29-06-2020 12:04

Thank you for your thoughts. I guess the 45' I mentioned was just an estimate. I will need to charter and sail various boats before knowing what will be right for us. The smaller the boat, the less cost and maintenence for sure!

tydickinson 29-06-2020 12:07

I have to say, there are so many supportive and helpful people on this forum! I truly appreciate your perspectives! I am greatly encouraged by what so many of you have accomplished and are still doing. Thank you

RileyBoo 29-06-2020 12:21

Quote:

... I want to educate myself on weather, navigation, sailing, maintenance, docking and so much more. I think this may take several years.

Take a week-long course in coastal cruising where you get to live on the boat. This will get you moving down the learning curve a lot quicker. And it won't take take several years. Later you can take a course in passage-making. It's all hands-on...trial by fire...but you are there just for that reason. Excellent classroom.

Then buy a "fine for now" boat and start practicing. Don't wait until you feel like you have the knowledge, confidence, and experience to handle your big "forever" boat, because you may never get to leave the dock if you do.

This is exactly what I'm doing. I took a live-aboard coastal cruising course for a week on a 42' monohull (I could have done it on a catamaran) back in March, now I'm looking for my "fine for now" boat so I can get off the dock and go sailing.

I turn 58 this week. When I finally get to retire (probably at 65), I want to be ready to cast off the lines and go. :biggrin:

Good luck and happy sailing!

Hoodsail 29-06-2020 12:29

Ty, you're a "young pup" at 60....and retiring!!! Congratulations...got you by 5 yrs and not retiring for 1.5 more years, so good for you...I bought my current "go anywhere boat" 4 yrs ago and been sailing, fixing, learning about her since with plans to do Marion-Bermuda in 2021...everything is manual from anchor to sails to winches, altho furling is a beautiful thing...So assuming all of your body parts function & no terminal illness other than old age, you should be good for another 10-20...look up Jeanne Socrates, 76yo, she just completed her 3rd solo, non-stop, unassisted, circumnavigation...as mentioned earlier, get out sailing/crewing/learning...you've got many yrs ahead of you to sail.. and I would recommend 35 ish feet....just saying...

garychurch 29-06-2020 12:31

Im 74 now. Retired and bought a boat at 71. Must admit, sorry sailors, since I no longer sail (too much work and Iím too lazy) My wife and I run a 64í Grand Banks MY.

So itís never too late until itís too late.

Captain Anthony 29-06-2020 13:25

Following

ebs001 29-06-2020 13:55

Quote:

This has to be your number 1 priority. You need to know that she will join you before spending years and big bucks. There are a few billion dollars worth of boats for sale on yacht world because this factor the spouse didn't fully buy into the cruising dream.

Bundyon 29-06-2020 15:06

Mate, I'm very close to 64, I got into sailing at 60, although I have been around or under the sea most of my life. I have spent a lot of time fixing an older boat up, Covid slowed us down, today, the sailmaker is coming past to discuss new sails ( just a tad excited!!). I have a mate who is a qualified yachtmaster, so I crew with him on yacht deliveries. My partner would prefer a house, but she is happy to go cruising. Mate, let me tell you, "Everybody Dies....Not Everybody Lives" Go for it!!

Cheechako 29-06-2020 15:13

I had as much fun on my 30 footer as any. Simple and easy. Slower, but that's the most downside.

daletournier 29-06-2020 15:19

It depends on the individual, yes it is to late for some and not to late for others. But this applies to all individuals at any age ,some can do it some cant.

captlloyd 29-06-2020 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed (Post 3174872)
tydickinson - 60 is a great age! Find your local Power Squadron and take every class they offer now! They are excellent and my wife felt much more confident from them. And follow a couple Utubers, I am sure there must be some around age 60. And read all the threads here that appeal to you.
We went from a 35' cat to a 40" cat and while very spacious, is more boat than we need. There is no way I would want a 45' cat. I suggest you look at a Gemini, then make friends with some cat owners and offer to crew as needed. Or charter the smallest cat you can for just the 2 of you.

Ms J-37 has given you some powerful advice - follow it!

Exactly, a 37-38 cat is all the cat you need. :popcorn:

Care2go 29-06-2020 16:58

Spending many years in the medical field, I would agree age and health are individual. If a person has the physical strengths, balance and mental agility to recall, and make sound judgements, what should stop you! You are more apt to shorten your life by surrendering to age than living life fully!

Larry Florida 29-06-2020 17:12

Get yourself something bigger than the 26 ASAP. 45 is too big. 30 to 34 and start learning about the systems etc. Can't imagine you ever needing a 45.