Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Multihull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   When is it too late to start living the dream? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/when-is-it-too-late-to-start-living-the-dream-236287.html)

Curryfrog 06-07-2020 23:17

Re: When is it too late to start living the dream?

What are you waiting for?
The learning is part of the dream.
Itís the journey thatís the destination.
You are going to die one day. Do you want to die wondering if you could have done it, or do you want to know?
Iím 60, too.
Iíve just retired too.
I was going to sail across the Atlantic this year but Covid got in the way, so itís next year.
I always wanted to sail across an ocean, so I bloody well am!
In the meantime Iím learning all about maintenance and 12 volt stuff and all sorts.
Itís a great journey.
Just do it...

Fleetwoodjack 07-07-2020 06:18

I started my dream at 68 in 2005. And completed my round the world single handed voyage at 80. Remember: Each year spent ocean sailing reverses your age by one year. Since I am a twin I have ample proof. I went bankrupt in 2002 and when I took of on the first long, 28 day 3000 mile, leg from Santa Barbara to the Marquesas, I had $150 in my bank account and all I owned was in my 30 ft sloop. Read my book: www.SoloMan.us . Subtitle: "Alone at Sea with God and Social Security". Heed my book's advice, keep it simple, in size, equipment. I have seen too many boats too big, too fancy, stuck at a dock. I have visited 64 countries, I just returned from a winter's voyage from Virginia to the West Indies, where I celebrated my 83rd birthday with new friends. You are as old as you allow your imagination to limit you. I also write regular blogs, since 2009, at www.ComeToSea.us

JanetGroene 07-07-2020 08:22

So bite me for using the word houseoat, but don't turn up your nose at the houseboat lifestyle. There are places on the water where you can live on a houseboat, close to civilization in case you need medical care, and cruise the waterways/lake/rivers themselves or use the houseboat as a home base for sailing a smaller boat. Many have endless coves and shores to explore.

MicHughV 07-07-2020 08:41

I did a 1 week cruise on the English canals on a barge....it was rather fun, very relaxing, very enjoyable, very serene, very peaceful, got to meet a lot of people, saw of lot of interesting and historical places...I can highly recommend it !! Wish it lasted longer than a week.
You can do this in France too. On your own or with a group of barges...and a lead boat...

BlackHeron 07-07-2020 17:30

I wouldn't mind cruising entirely on canals with a canal boat when I'm too old to enjoy cruising a sailboat any more. One of my favorite cruising grounds are the New York Canals. The western section of the Erie Canal beyond Oneida Lake, and the Finger Lakes are lovely in the summer. I'd just need another boat someplace warm in the winter to cruise on In a similar setting.

Buzzman 07-07-2020 18:54

"Grab a chance, and you won't be sorry for what might have been".

--Arthur Ransome, Swallows & Amazons

carstendenmark 07-07-2020 20:20

I'm 59, and preparing my Maxi 87 for safe single handed coastal cruising.
I am married.

Anyone in here ever divorced your spouse to follow your personal dreams ?!

carlosproa 07-07-2020 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by carstendenmark (Post 3181173)
I'm 59, and preparing my Maxi 87 for safe single handed coastal cruising.
I am married.

Anyone in here ever divorced your spouse to follow your personal dreams ?!

Divorce is too costly, just have a friendly arrangement

BlackHeron 08-07-2020 06:10

Divorce is only expensive because it is WORTH it.

Many people can't afford it, but then again many can't afford a submarine either.

4kMike 08-07-2020 08:37

I was planning to retire abt on age 62, and dreamed of cruising life. Then four years ago my old hearth valve abnormalty started to escalate quickly: I was thinking that it's all over. But luckily I found myself on operation desk on hands of very good doctors. I was 59 and could again do everything I like! Sailing, running, diving... But it was easy to decide to retire immediately and cut lines. Now the first year is behind and we re happy cruisers.

So, don't over plan it.

Of gourse the basics of sailing and things involved are good to know. I don't have any certifications, but have been sailing smaller boats whole my life. I did read the basics of tidal navigation on the way out from baltic sea. :-) Cruising is learning and you are never ready, neither is your boat.
Mike, on 42 ft monohull, designed for cosy living for two and a some occasional quests. Now in Caribbean.

Redcoat 08-07-2020 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by tydickinson (Post 3174563)
I'm retiring this coming year. I've always sailed small sailboats, but never sailed a larger multihull and only up to a 26' monohull. I want to educate myself on weather, navigation, sailing, maintenance, docking and so much more. I think this may take several years. At the end if I am still enjoying it and I can convince my wife to join me, I want to buy a 45' or so multihull and cruise the world. I am 60 now. In pretty good health at the moment. Is the clock ticking? Do I have the time to do all of this education and still be fit to cruise the world?

Sailing is sailing until you're near land or a dock.

MicHughV 09-07-2020 13:38

yah, when you seeing someone throwing dirt over your face....it's too late !!!

until that time.....you have time !!!!

guggech 11-07-2020 13:30

Jimmy Cornell who wrote the book on World cruising route" is now 80 and is planning a long trip on a catamaran.