Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Sabre 34 MKII Possible Purchase (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/sabre-34-mkii-possible-purchase-234783.html)

btasquared 26-05-2020 14:48

Sabre 34 MKII Possible Purchase

Hi all:

I've lurked here for years and followed all the threads asking for input on potential purchases. I guess it's my turn now to ask.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1988 Sabre 34 MKII (Great Lakes boat) for $25,000. It's not perfect but the sails are only a few years old; it shows some signs of wear in the cabin but mostly just needs to be thoroughly cleaned.

I've read a lot about Sabres in general and the 34 in particular and gotten a good feeling about the build quality and the boat's manners at sea.

I would be grateful for any input from the knowledgeable folks who frequent this forum. Thanks in advance.

ohdrinkboy 26-05-2020 15:30

Re: Sabre 34 MKII Possible Purchase

I chartered a MKI on the Chesapeake years ago. It sailed really well. Check the flooring around the mast, as well as the mast base for rot.

ChrisJD 27-05-2020 06:25

Sabre has a very active owners’ forum at groups.io/g/SabreSailboat, which should be your first stop for advice. I can’t speak to the 34 mkII, but I love my 402.

Mystic38 27-05-2020 06:44

I owned a Sabre 38 mkII for 15 years... one of the best built, most thoughtfully laid out and designed boats i have ever set foot on.

Put it this way, when my significant other stated that due to her bad back I had to either give up the Sabre and buy a catamaran or lose her.. i had to think about it...:)

Dave Lochner 27-05-2020 08:23

Join the Sabre group at Groups.io. Tremendous depth of knowledge in the group. Some have been members for 20 or more years.

Sabres are well built, attractive boats, that sail well. I'm on my second Sabre. They do have their quirks, as do all boats, however, Sabre Yachts continues to provide customer support for their sailboats even though they no longer build them.

Some wear is expected in a 32 year old boat. Think of it as the patina of use.

Larry Florida 27-05-2020 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic38 (Post 3149418)
I owned a Sabre 38 mkII for 15 years... one of the best built, most thoughtfully laid out and designed boats i have ever set foot on.

Put it this way, when my significant other stated that due to her bad back I had to either give up the Sabre and buy a catamaran or lose her.. i had to think about it...:)

What's to think about?? 😀😀

stormalong 27-05-2020 20:27

I owned a 34 MK I for about 5 years. Very nice boat.

One Achilles heel. The hull to deck joint was butyl rubber and if it was leaking you tightened the bolts to compress the joint. Eventually you squeezed out all the buytl rubber and there was no more seal. I talked to other Sabre owners and they had the same issue. I don't know if the MK II had the same setup.