Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Honda generator eu 10i quits (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/honda-generator-eu-10i-quits-234252.html)

Popeye2 14-05-2020 11:50

Honda generator eu 10i quits

Honda generator eu 10i runs rough for 20 mins in the morning then quits. Will not start during the day. Starts again next morning. It's like groundhog day.

Pete17C 14-05-2020 11:59

Re: Honda generator eu 10i quits

in my years of small engine fixing, 98% of the time, it's a dirty carb

have you done any work on it lately? change the plug if not

Popeye2 14-05-2020 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete17C (Post 3139712)
in my years of small engine fixing, 98% of the time, it's a dirty carb

have you done any work on it lately? change the plug if not

Changed the plug. OK will work on carb now thanks.

onestepcsy37 14-05-2020 13:08

what pete17c says.

mines about 15 years old. if i leave it stored for a loooong time i find that the spark plug needs to be cleaned. rust?

be certain to run the gas tank dry before shutting it down if you're going to leave it for a day or more. i only used mine as an auxiliary battery charger if the solar panel didn't do it's job well enough. hooked a smart charger to it and that to the battery bank, put in a quart or less of fresh gas, and when the engine ran out of gas my charging cycle was done.

Hesti 14-05-2020 13:31

Tank ventilation? Normally, the fuel cap has a small hole to ventilate the tank. That hole might be clogged. The way to test is to unscrew the cap a bit so air can go in ba the thread.

Popeye2 14-05-2020 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hesti (Post 3139768)
Tank ventilation? Normally, the fuel cap has a small hole to ventilate the tank. That hole might be clogged. The way to test is to unscrew the cap a bit so air can go in ba the thread.

Thanks. Will try it

a64pilot 14-05-2020 14:18

While I’m not familiar with that model, the eu2000i’s fuel cap has a selectable tank vent, you can close it to keep it from spilling and also to help keep fuel fresh.
If your cap looks like this, you can see the on and off for the vent
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/su...4aAhkFEALw_wcB

conachair 14-05-2020 14:24

Could be oil level, gets lots of people. Oil looks high enough on the filler plug but isn't. Add a little oil.

onestepcsy37 14-05-2020 20:00

what a64 says about the cap - eu1000 same as eu2000. and thanks for the link, a64, i notice my cap is rusty inside after many years of salt air.

there is a light on the control panel that will warn you of low oil level and eventually shut the engine down. it is possible for the light bulb to fail but a quick check at the dipstick will confirm.

there is no oil pump - it uses a splash system just like the old ford model T....

OBT 15-05-2020 09:56

We had a similar problem and chasing down the sparkplug/carb rat hole, I called Honda, they asked if the oil was up to snuff. It was just, just barely down, but I added oil and it ran like a champ. My two cents.

BruceS 15-05-2020 15:32

I love it when I see some suggest you run the carby out of fuel on the EU1 !!!
Obviously they have never owned one or they've done some surgery on it.
Tell me how you switch it off?
Yeah, turning off the fuel switch also kills the spark.

a64pilot 15-05-2020 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceS (Post 3140640)
I love it when I see some suggest you run the carby out of fuel on the EU1 !!!
Obviously they have never owned one or they've done some surgery on it.
Tell me how you switch it off?
Yeah, turning off the fuel switch also kills the spark.

You can take the side cover off and use a pair of hemostats to pinch off the fuel line.
But when putting mine away, I just drain the carburetor, it has a drain screw and the drain tube comes out the front, only holds an ounce or so.

However I think the new ones you can turn the fuel off.

If the oil is low, or the sensor is bad, it should flash when you try to start it.