Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Engines and Propulsion Systems (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!! (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/dropped-a-straw-in-my-gearbox-233960.html)

Swift Drift 08-05-2020 11:36

Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
2 Attachment(s)
While changing my gearbox oil the pick up straw at the base of my pump fell off into the gearbox!!!

Iím unable to get to it and am out of ideas. Tried a shop vac but nothing. Does anyone have any ideas? The unit is a KBW20. Iím on anchor in Antigua and so its imperative that I retrieve as I donít think itís a great idea to operate the gearbox with the straw inside. Essentially Iím stranded until I solve this.

Am I doomed to have to remove the gearbox and disassemble?

Attachment 214632

Attachment 214633

Swift Drift 08-05-2020 11:38

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
1 Attachment(s)
A quick thought: is removing the side plate circled on this photo to gain access a stupid idea?
Attachment 214634

Kokanee 08-05-2020 11:50

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
I would think you could suck it out with the vacuum, but only once you get good air flow circulation first.

You could do this by removing the oil drain plug, draining your oil, then try the vacuum.

Swift Drift 08-05-2020 11:56

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
I would think so too but no dice. Although I havenít drained from the bottom yet, I did suck out most all of the oil from the top prior to trying the shop vac. Additionally, I fear the straw is short enough that itís fallen to the side ass opposed to standing up vertically aligned with the hole.

mvweebles 08-05-2020 12:10

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swift Drift (Post 3135074)
A quick thought: is removing the side plate circled on this photo to gain access a stupid idea?
Attachment 214634

My thought too. Hoses look like they are going to a cooler. I Googled KBW20 to validate and see what's on the inside but couldn't find it on any diagrams - looks like that's the clutch/linkage on most.

If all the easy stuff via the drain/fill holes is exhausted, removing cover looks like your best bet. Hope you have gasket material......

As an aside, when I was 16 I bought a Yamaha 400 Enduro single cylinder 2-stroke. I ran it out of 2-stroke oil and it over-heated. So my very first mechanical foray was to remove the cylider and piston. I promptly dropped the circlip holding the piston wrist-pin into the gearbox. Access was awful - I bought a magnetic pickup tool and ground it down to get between the counterweight lobes on either side of the connecting rod. I fished for hours and got so discouraged thinking I would have to split the cases to get the circlip out. I parked it for a couple months until a cousin stopped by and asked about the bike. I told him the story - he insisted on trying to get the wrist pin out. He fished it out first try.

I hope your luck improves. I empathize with you.

Peter

Orion Jim 08-05-2020 12:19

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Small endoscopes are cheap. They even have LEDís. It might help you spot it and devise the best retrieval strategy. :thumb:

a64pilot 08-05-2020 12:31

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Get a pair of mechanical fingers too.

jamhass 08-05-2020 12:50

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion Jim (Post 3135117)
Small endoscopes are cheap. They even have LEDís. It might help you spot it and devise the best retrieval strategy. :thumb:

Yes, use the ones that work with your cell phone. They usually come with probes and hooks, and you MIGHT get lucky.

I did the same thing to an MGA (car) tranny. Was able to find and retrieve it with an endoscope.

Kokanee 08-05-2020 13:14

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swift Drift (Post 3135093)
I would think so too but no dice. Although I havenít drained from the bottom yet, I did suck out most all of the oil from the top prior to trying the shop vac. Additionally, I fear the straw is short enough that itís fallen to the side ass opposed to standing up vertically aligned with the hole.

You need to open up something on the bottom of the gear box to allow air in. Without good air flow the vacuum won't move the straw.

jimbunyard 08-05-2020 13:33

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Wouldn't worry about it. As far as I can tell the gear is splash-oiled so there's no need to worry about clogging pickups, pressure lines or pump. The straw is polyethylene, it won't deteriorate in the oil, and the gears will tend to push it away from them as they rotate, not draw it in.

I don't really expect you to pay much attention to this advice, but it is sound.

Not that it's particularly relevant (manual gearboxes bear little resemblence to your gearbox), but I've seen various small metal parts dropped into gearboxes on several occasions, on car, truck and tractor transmissions, with no ill effect; the transmissions functioned normally with expected lifespans.

njoynthewater 08-05-2020 13:53

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Have you considered one of those small cameras that you can slip into conduits etc? You might be able to rig up a fishing tool on a separate small diameter rod to pull it out once you see it on the camera.

mvweebles 08-05-2020 14:01

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbunyard (Post 3135181)
Wouldn't worry about it. As far as I can tell the gear is splash-oiled so there's no need to worry about clogging pickups, pressure lines or pump. The straw is polyethylene, it won't deteriorate in the oil, and the gears will tend to push it away from them as they rotate, not draw it in.

I don't really expect you to pay much attention to this advice, but it is sound.

Not that it's particularly relevant (manual gearboxes bear little resemblence to your gearbox), but I've seen various small metal parts dropped into gearboxes on several occasions, on car, truck and tractor transmissions, with no ill effect; the transmissions functioned normally with expected lifespans.

Intellectually, you're probably right. Emotionally, I'd have a hard time with leaving it in place. I'd constantly be listening for a change of sound, a clunk, a whir, anything. All sorts of phantom noises. Would drive me nuts.

Swift Drift 08-05-2020 14:32

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbunyard (Post 3135181)
Wouldn't worry about it. As far as I can tell the gear is splash-oiled so there's no need to worry about clogging pickups, pressure lines or pump. The straw is polyethylene, it won't deteriorate in the oil, and the gears will tend to push it away from them as they rotate, not draw it in.

I don't really expect you to pay much attention to this advice, but it is sound.

Not that it's particularly relevant (manual gearboxes bear little resemblence to your gearbox), but I've seen various small metal parts dropped into gearboxes on several occasions, on car, truck and tractor transmissions, with no ill effect; the transmissions functioned normally with expected lifespans.



I really want to believe this.... what about my clutches? Could they get messed up and not make proper contact, etc?

a64pilot 08-05-2020 15:22

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swift Drift (Post 3135228)
I really want to believe this.... what about my clutches? Could they get messed up and not make proper contact, etc?

Clutches should be in packs, like a motorcycle clutch if you have ever had one of them apart, I don’t see how they could be hurt, but I can see how a tube may jam gears, it may eat it too, but it may bust something too as that “straw” is pretty tough.
I’d want it out. Me, if I couldn’t get it out with a scope and mechanical fingers, would remove the tranny, turn it upside down and shake it, it might work, and if not take it to a shop and have them disassemble and inspect everything and replace any worn parts, may as well start with a known good tranny if you have to pay to have it taken apart.

I think you will see it with a camera myself, it’s stiff so it didn’t go far. Get some mechanical fingers though so you can get it when you see it.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Mechanica...f=nb_sb_noss_2

I have a KBW-20 also and so I’m a little familiar.

Tillsbury 08-05-2020 15:41

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
To be fair, if the gears don't just eat that plastic without blinking then they won't last very long as a gearbox considering the power they're transmitting. But there's a chance it might block some linkage and I'd want it out too for the reasons op said

Swift Drift 08-05-2020 16:10

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 3135256)
Clutches should be in packs, like a motorcycle clutch if you have ever had one of them apart, I donít see how they could be hurt, but I can see how a tube may jam gears, it may eat it too, but it may bust something too as that ďstrawĒ is pretty tough.
Iíd want it out. Me, if I couldnít get it out with a scope and mechanical fingers, would remove the tranny, turn it upside down and shake it, it might work, and if not take it to a shop and have them disassemble and inspect everything and replace any worn parts, may as well start with a known good tranny if you have to pay to have it taken apart.

I think you will see it with a camera myself, itís stiff so it didnít go far. Get some mechanical fingers though so you can get it when you see it.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Mechanica...f=nb_sb_noss_2

I have a KBW-20 also and so Iím a little familiar.



Thanks for chiming in. Iíve followed much of your activity on this forum as you and I have the same drivetrain and I respect your mechanical prowess.
I think your assessment is right. I now have the side plate off and will try to source mechanical fingers and a endoscope locally if I can. If not, sounds like Iím pulling the unit. This would be stressful under normal circumstances but there is another layer now as I could get a green light to enter Grenada at any moment but may miss my window with this situation.

Attachment 214648

Orion Jim 08-05-2020 16:26

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swift Drift (Post 3135290)
Thanks for chiming in. Iíve followed much of your activity on this forum as you and I have the same drivetrain and I respect your mechanical prowess.
I think your assessment is right. I now have the side plate off and will try to source mechanical fingers and a endoscope locally if I can. If not, sounds like Iím pulling the unit. This would be stressful under normal circumstances but there is another layer now as I could get a green light to enter Grenada at any moment but may miss my window with this situation.

Attachment 214648

A fair number of cruisers carry the cheap endoscopes (they are currently available on Amazon and eBay for as little as 7 bucks and decent units go for 35 bucks) which pair with apps on your cellphone. You may just find someone anchored nearby willing to lend you theirs.

Swift Drift 08-05-2020 17:47

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion Jim (Post 3135301)
A fair number of cruisers carry the cheap endoscopes (they are currently available on Amazon and eBay for as little as 7 bucks and decent units go for 35 bucks) which pair with apps on your cellphone. You may just find someone anchored nearby willing to lend you theirs.



Good thought. Iím going to try and source an endoscope and ďmechanical fingersĒ tomorrow. Even if I can get my hands on them Iím not holding my breath that Iíll be enable to extract the tube.

maine50 08-05-2020 18:04

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
It might make sense to try one of the many diesel shops in Antigua. Power Systems is one,(Falmouth harbor) not far from Catamaram Marina and there's another one in Jolly Harbor. They might have the tools and knowledge.

a64pilot 08-05-2020 18:05

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Gears are set up with “lash” that means a little clearance between them, looseness if you will, but it’s not much at all, toss something in between them and that forces the gears apart and could worst case bust something.
Add to that that the gears in the KBW-20 are helical cut gears, that means the teeth are at an angle, that makes the gears run quieter but isn’t quite as strong as straight cut gears.
Helical cut gears when under a load get forced sideways, in this instance that lateral force is used to force the clutches tighter, pretty brilliant design in my opinion as it means the clutches have weak springs so that the shift lever is easy to move, however the more force applied to the gears the tighter the clutch plates are pressed together and that keeps them from slipping, so you get both a strong clutch, and an easy to shift transmission that the more torque fed through it, the tighter the clutches get to pass that torque along without slipping.
However put something in between the gears and that force could go through the roof and that could bust something, a gear or maybe a clutch pack, or maybe nothing, but I wouldn’t want to chance it far from home.

Sailmonkey 08-05-2020 19:02

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 3135377)
Gears are set up with ďlashĒ that means a little clearance between them, looseness if you will, but itís not much at all, toss something in between them and that forces the gears apart and could worst case bust something.
Add to that that the gears in the KBW-20 are helical cut gears, that means the teeth are at an angle, that makes the gears run quieter but isnít quite as strong as straight cut gears.
Helical cut gears when under a load get forced sideways, in this instance that lateral force is used to force the clutches tighter, pretty brilliant design in my opinion as it means the clutches have weak springs so that the shift lever is easy to move, however the more force applied to the gears the tighter the clutch plates are pressed together and that keeps them from slipping, so you get both a strong clutch, and an easy to shift transmission that the more torque fed through it, the tighter the clutches get to pass that torque along without slipping.
However put something in between the gears and that force could go through the roof and that could bust something, a gear or maybe a clutch pack, or maybe nothing, but I wouldnít want to chance it far from home.



Iíd worry about cracking the gear case more than damaging the actual gears or clutches.

paralog 08-05-2020 19:06

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
refill the gearbox to see it you can get it to float to the top.

mlydon 08-05-2020 19:17

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Ha - I was going to suggest floating it, but paralog beat me to it. Before trying though, see if the tubing floats in oil at all - do you have another piece you can test with?

Matt

Swift Drift 08-05-2020 20:19

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
2 Attachment(s)
Good thoughts on floating. Iím going to do my best to extract without pulling the gearbox. If I need to pull and disassemble the gearbox, it appears fairly straightforward: I coupe and slide back shaft, unbolt housing from back of engine so I can access internal bolt heads holding gearbox to housing, then wrestle it out. Once out if I need to dig deeper yet, remove forward of box via bolts circled in picture below.

Am I missing something?
Attachment 214657
Attachment 214658

kmacdonald 08-05-2020 20:21

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
I wouldn't run it with the straw in there. Take the gear off, pour the oil out and turn it upside down, shake it, etc, and figure out a way to get it out of the hole. If you're lucky you wont have to disassemble the gear. When you see the straw you could push a slightly tapered cone in the straw end until the cone bottoms out in the straw. Then pull it out. I don't know if that will work but you could try. Removing the gear is not a big deal at all. Half hour max.

You might even be able to get it without removing the gear.

mlydon 08-05-2020 20:39

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
If you can pull a tranny in half an hour, you’re my new hero for life.

Matt

kmacdonald 08-05-2020 21:01

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Well, maybe 35 minutes.

jimbunyard 08-05-2020 22:27

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swift Drift (Post 3135228)
I really want to believe this.... what about my clutches? Could they get messed up and not make proper contact, etc?

As previously noted, I don't expect you (nor anyone else who has little-to-no experience with these things) to 'believe' this advice.

10w40 motor oil has a specific gravity of about .857 g/cm3, polyethylene is .957, so it's not likely that it will float, unless you fill the box with something other than the recommended lube, which will almost certainly do more harm than the straw itself.

The 'meshing gears' in this transmission are located high in the housing, the straw will be located under the clutch pack, which cannot be affected by the straw.

Should the spinning oil cause the straw to be pushed up into the top of the transmission where it could conceivably (though it is very very unlikely) contact the gears that mesh with each other, the typical reaction is to push the alien object away, not draw it in.

In this case even if they somehow sucked it in, the gears wouldn't even notice it, the difference in hardnesses of the two materials is just too great.

The only real (however remote) problem would be that the straw somehow got into the shifting mechanism, and caused problems there, but again, steel and brass/bronze are so much stronger than the plastic of the straw that any problem would likely be short-lived .

Again, I don't think any of this this will assuage your concern, so if you take the shift cover off you'll probably be able to drag the offending item out from that side by using a thin hooked wire bent to thread under the clutch pack. If you're near a tig welder, a piece of 1/16" tig wire works really well for things like this...

Jim Cate 08-05-2020 23:28

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
^^^^^

Sounds like good advice to me. More likely to do harm mucking about than leaving it be.

But I too understand the reluctance to do this!

Good luck... may the force show you the way!

Jim

GoneDiving 09-05-2020 02:17

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
A totally unqualified suggestion:

Drain the oil out the bottom then use this port to blow the tube out the top with a blast of compressed air?

Of course residual oil is also going to be blown out and go everywhere. 😁

I have no idea if/what seals could be damaged by 100psi of internal pressure.

NYSail 09-05-2020 02:44

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Couple years ago I dropped a long piece of cardboard into my fuel tank....... fuel gauge access.

Tried all sorts of methods to get it. Finally bent a fish hook straight, attached it to a stick and with a little patience finally harpooned it.

The week it was in there I could not sleep.......

Good luck

Swift Drift 09-05-2020 04:23

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbunyard (Post 3135502)
As previously noted, I don't expect you (nor anyone else who has little-to-no experience with these things) to 'believe' this advice.

10w40 motor oil has a specific gravity of about .857 g/cm3, polyethylene is .957, so it's not likely that it will float, unless you fill the box with something other than the recommended lube, which will almost certainly do more harm than the straw itself.

The 'meshing gears' in this transmission are located high in the housing, the straw will be located under the clutch pack, which cannot be affected by the straw.

Should the spinning oil cause the straw to be pushed up into the top of the transmission where it could conceivably (though it is very very unlikely) contact the gears that mesh with each other, the typical reaction is to push the alien object away, not draw it in.

In this case even if they somehow sucked it in, the gears wouldn't even notice it, the difference in hardnesses of the two materials is just too great.

The only real (however remote) problem would be that the straw somehow got into the shifting mechanism, and caused problems there, but again, steel and brass/bronze are so much stronger than the plastic of the straw that any problem would likely be short-lived .

Again, I don't think any of this this will assuage your concern, so if you take the shift cover off you'll probably be able to drag the offending item out from that side by using a thin hooked wire bent to thread under the clutch pack. If you're near a tig welder, a piece of 1/16" tig wire works really well for things like this...


I want to go with this logic. My main reservation is that itís what I ďwant to hearĒ so Iím leery. I also called a very reputable marine transmission shop from Washington state and their response was ďDo not run it with the straw still in there, you will ruin the gearbox.Ē

You mention the only real risk is interference with my shifting mechanism. What about a64pilots concern about the potential of increased pressure in the event the straw interferes with gears? I understand that you think the possibility of getting the straw in the gears is very low, Iím just trying to understand as best I can and from my preliminary standpoint you both make strong points.

A side note that is likely inconsequential to the matter at hand: The KBW20 gearbox takes ATF not motor oil.

Thanks for everyoneís insight and suggestions. In the event I canít extract the straw without gearbox removal, Iím very much on the fence as to which course to take.

If I were at a marina in normal times I would likely pull it out, open it up and take the opportunity to inspect, rebuild, etc.
That said, Iím on anchor with an unknown yet approaching date where Iíll be allowed to leave for a 300 mile sail to Grenada. Once there Iíll be more settled and could ďfix it right.Ē

On the other hand, removing the unit and ďdoing things rightĒ doesnít seem too daunting....especially if the alternative has large risks and turns me into a nervous wreck!

Decisions, Decisions....


Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 3135377)
Gears are set up with ďlashĒ that means a little clearance between them, looseness if you will, but itís not much at all, toss something in between them and that forces the gears apart and could worst case bust something.
Add to that that the gears in the KBW-20 are helical cut gears, that means the teeth are at an angle, that makes the gears run quieter but isnít quite as strong as straight cut gears.
Helical cut gears when under a load get forced sideways, in this instance that lateral force is used to force the clutches tighter, pretty brilliant design in my opinion as it means the clutches have weak springs so that the shift lever is easy to move, however the more force applied to the gears the tighter the clutch plates are pressed together and that keeps them from slipping, so you get both a strong clutch, and an easy to shift transmission that the more torque fed through it, the tighter the clutches get to pass that torque along without slipping.
However put something in between the gears and that force could go through the roof and that could bust something, a gear or maybe a clutch pack, or maybe nothing, but I wouldnít want to chance it far from home.


jimbunyard 09-05-2020 05:59

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swift Drift (Post 3135588)
I want to go with this logic. My main reservation is that it’s what I “want to hear” so I’m leery. I also called a very reputable marine transmission shop from Washington state and their response was “Do not run it with the straw still in there, you will ruin the gearbox.”

You mention the only real risk is interference with my shifting mechanism. What about a64pilots concern about the potential of increased pressure in the event the straw interferes with gears? I understand that you think the possibility of getting the straw in the gears is very low, I’m just trying to understand as best I can and from my preliminary standpoint you both make strong points.

A side note that is likely inconsequential to the matter at hand: The KBW20 gearbox takes ATF not motor oil.

Thanks for everyone’s insight and suggestions. In the event I can’t extract the straw without gearbox removal, I’m very much on the fence as to which course to take.

If I were at a marina in normal times I would likely pull it out, open it up and take the opportunity to inspect, rebuild, etc.
That said, I’m on anchor with an unknown yet approaching date where I’ll be allowed to leave for a 300 mile sail to Grenada. Once there I’ll be more settled and could “fix it right.”

On the other hand, removing the unit and “doing things right” doesn’t seem too daunting....especially if the alternative has large risks and turns me into a nervous wreck!

Decisions, Decisions....

Well I hope that the response from the "very reputable marine transmission shop from Washington state" is an instance of 'CT(their)A' rather than an actual experiential assessment...

I'd have had to play the smart-ass on them and asked "how?".

First off, let's understand my advice is what I'd do, and is not meant to dictate what you should do. There is some small chance that something other than nothing could happen; my experience and instinct tell me that the probablility is so low that it's worth 'risking'.

I certainly don't expect anyone else without my experiences to have an 'easy mind' about this fairly crucial piece of equipment and situation.

To perhaps inform my logic a bit, think about this. Machines designed to grind things have very specific geometries to enable them to draw material into them to be ground. Drop something onto a spinning gear or shaft, it gets flung off; drop it onto a resting gear or shaft (depending on if your have a grinding machine or a transmission) it'd be either rather opportune, or not, for it to fall into the proper place for it to to be drawn into the 'grinding apparatus'.

Further, the quantity of oil in the transmission, and the level as indicated by the length of the dipstick in the catalog illustration show that when idle the level of the oil is probably not more than an inch or two deep. so there is little (probably no) possibility of the oil flow causing the straw to be 'flushed up' into the area where the gears mesh, which leaves that function to be fullfilled by projections sticking out from the item 11 shift ring shown in the drawing below.

Except there aren't any.

ATF's specific gravity is .861, so it's a moot point.

As for actually removing the straw, which seems will ease everyones mind the most, probably your best bet short of removing the gear box, turning it on its side and trying to shake it out the shift cover side, is to use a thin bent wire to drag it out the shift cover side as previously advised...though I kinda like the idea of a mini harpoon suggested above.

Perhaps a 'trident' of straightened fish hooks might work even better?

a64pilot 09-05-2020 06:07

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Those “straws” sink in 90W gear oil, I know as I have made them come loose in a quart container before and they sink.
The idea of gears pushing something away has 100% to do with which way they are rotating, one one side they suck things in, on the other side they push things away. That is how this transmission is lubricated I don’t believe it has a pump, the rotating components pump the ATF around.
Ever taken an oil pump apart? It’s just two gears and does a good job of sucking in oil.

Dymaxion 09-05-2020 07:19

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Suggest getting a steel coat hanger and making a couple of tools to fish the tube close to the fill hole and help stand it up as much as possible. Something like a shepherds crook, small curved end at an angle to long length. Second being a length with a slight curve in it. If you can elevate one end of the straw enough to ram the curved bit in the straw should lift out fine. And put a big bend/handle at the top of each tool so they don't drop in!!

njoynthewater 09-05-2020 07:38

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
There has been a lot of talk about whether the gears will get damaged if the straw goes through them. I would be concerned about the possibility of either the straw or a piece or pieces of it after going through the gear getting into the bearing(s). The bearings will be open and bearings don't do well with the rollers or balls bouncing over small particles.

Nlight 09-05-2020 08:02

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
I would fashion a small fish hook like end on a thin wire and go "fishing" for the straw. If you sharpen the tip of the end you may well puncture the straw and be able to retrieve it.
Best of luck!

er9 09-05-2020 08:24

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dymaxion (Post 3135648)
Suggest getting a steel coat hanger and making a couple of tools to fish the tube close to the fill hole and help stand it up as much as possible. Something like a shepherds crook, small curved end at an angle to long length. Second being a length with a slight curve in it. If you can elevate one end of the straw enough to ram the curved bit in the straw should lift out fine. And put a big bend/handle at the top of each tool so they don't drop in!!

this. i did the same thing to our very expensive workshop compressor. made a long hook from a coat hanger, managed to hook the piece of tube from the bottom, got it close to the opening and got in with some needle nose pliers. it took a quit a while to do but they sink so you can keep trying to snag it. i agree a trident hook would probably be easier.

Cool Hand Luke 09-05-2020 08:30

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swift Drift (Post 3135093)
I would think so too but no dice. Although I havenít drained from the bottom yet, I did suck out most all of the oil from the top prior to trying the shop vac. Additionally, I fear the straw is short enough that itís fallen to the side ass opposed to standing up vertically aligned with the hole.

I was going to say... if the straw is big enough, which it does look pretty big in your photo, I would think it would stand up vertically. Or, at the very least, it would lay flat horizontally on the bottom. I would think a long and thin pair of tweezers would be able to get at it.

Definitely do NOT run the gearbox/engine with the straw inside. Just my opinion... I could be wrong :danger:

I know you're stuck on anchor, but would one of those endoscope cameras they have help? I've seen them on that amazing South American forest website where you can buy stuff. The camera connects to your phone and you can insert it and search for it. At least that would give you an idea of where the straw is located. I can't imagine it went too far into the gearbox if it just popped off while you were changing the oil.

Good luck!

Ahneema 09-05-2020 08:46

Re: Dropped a straw in my gearbox!!!!
 
The iPhone endoscopic idea is fantastic! Never knew the product existed! Not that expensive either! 👍


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:00.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.