Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Marine Electronics (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/)
-   -   Handheld VHF Recommendations (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/handheld-vhf-recommendations-233209.html)

Peregrine1983 21-04-2020 16:15

Handheld VHF Recommendations

Hi all,

My 7 year old little icom m-24 handheld VHF is dying. It's had a great run and has dutifully served for many miles.

I am now in the market for a replacement and I am willing to spend much more this time around as this is one of my most-used and most valued pieces of electronic equipment. Would like something very hardy and powerful.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Dusty Mac 21-04-2020 18:42

Re: Handheld VHF Recommendations

As I single hand a lot I picked up the Standard Horizon HX851 years ago. It has a built in GPS and DSC capable. I also find it handy in the dinghy to have position, speed, way-points etc.

As it was getting long in the tooth, I just picked up the HX890 with a lot of the same good features and, one button MOB. Also, for whatever reason, they included FM radio. Cost me under $300 Canadian dollars.

Cheers

Edward

Peregrine1983 21-04-2020 20:03

Thanks Edward. It is probably between the best SH and icom radios in the end. I definitely like the specs on the HX890 with 6 watts and the slightly larger battery than the high end icom. Really appreciate the post.

Cheers

skipmac 21-04-2020 20:08

I still have the first SH hand held I bought 30 years ago and it still works like new. I now own four of them of various ages including the 890 for mother ship, dinghy and two motor boats (yes, yes I know, too many boats).

Some had better battery life or better features but all bullet proof and to my aging ears, the best, most intelligible sound quality.

Only SH product I ever had that died was the remote mike for my main radio and SH swapped it out for a new one no problem.

dougweibel 21-04-2020 20:14

+1 for the HX890. Of the 4 VHF handhelds I own it is definitely my favorite.

Peregrine1983 21-04-2020 21:21

Thanks all. Think I’ll take your advice on the HX890.

Discovery 15797 21-04-2020 21:32

Another great reason for the HX890 is the alkaline battery tray.

I have a HX890 in my ditch bag. The battery tray and extra batteries dispersed in separate water tight containers in case the lithium battery dies.

capn ken 21-04-2020 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 (Post 3122936)
Thanks Edward. It is probably between the best SH and icom radios in the end. I definitely like the specs on the HX890 with 6 watts and the slightly larger battery than the high end icom. Really appreciate the post.

Cheers

199 west marine 3 year warranty free shipping .I just purchased mine online .fair winds

Tsuru 22-04-2020 07:58

We have a couple Hx870's and I've been very pleased. That said, if I were to replace I'd probably go with the Hx890 (due to reasons posted). I'm sure there are other great choices but I've had great customer service from Standard Horizon.

zemurray 22-04-2020 20:10

I have an HX890 thats less than a year old. The battery life isn’t great. It wont last a full day of sailing. I also just had an issue with it that required me to mail it back to SH. Went down to our boat for the week, turned on the radio and it was in distress mode. couldn’t cancel it, none of the buttons worked, removing the battery worked only as long as the battery was removed. as soon as you put the battery back in, it was back distress mode. a few times it just went to a boot screen.

In any case, I hear they are great radios. I’m sure mine was a fluke. Hopefully they’ll send me a replacement soon.

Misbehaving 22-04-2020 23:37

ICOM M-93D here, very satisfied.

Waterford 24-04-2020 08:39

I've had both SH and Icom handhelds. Both are good radios. SH is cheaper. I prefer the menu logic of the Icom. I carry a spare battery for my M93D in my dinghy.