Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Meets & Greets (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   hi, new nareboat skipper, question about Carribean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/hi-new-nareboat-skipper-question-about-carribean-232205.html)

PavelN 30-03-2020 09:08

hi, new nareboat skipper, question about Carribean

Hi,

My name is Pavel and I am a newbie bareboat skipper. I live in Austin, Texas. I want to fly to Carribean island(s) first time this summer around June to middle of July with my wife and daughter ~ 10 yo. I want to rent a small sailboat there for 3-5 days. What island(s) would you recommend? Will it be possible to find something around 300-400 $/day? which website would you recommend for rental? What part of this forum to monitor? Anything else like showstoppers i need to know about? Any info welcome, please.

GordMay 08-04-2020 03:53

Re: hi, new nareboat skipper, question about Carribean

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Pavel.

steve77 08-04-2020 04:42

Pavel,

Most beginning bare boaters start off in the British Virgin Islands. The sailing is easy, the water is beautiful, and there are lots of choices of charter companies with varying price ranges. There are lots of places in the Caribbean, but for a first time charter I can think of no place equal to the BVI‘s.

However, I don’t think you’re gonna be able to come this July. Almost all of the airports are closed. Every country and island that I know of has severe restrictions on even moving your boat. Sailing between islands is absolutely prohibited. We are in Martinique, and the bareboat charter companies here have shut down for the season. They are trying to use the time to do maintenance on the boats and other things to keep the employees busy. Very difficult economic times.

Best of luck with your vacation plans, but this summer is not a good one for travel.

Steve

PavelN 10-04-2020 15:26

@GordMay thank you

PavelN 10-04-2020 15:28

thank you for the information!
Quote:

Originally Posted by steve77 (Post 3111820)
Pavel,

Most beginning bare boaters start off in the British Virgin Islands. The sailing is easy, the water is beautiful, and there are lots of choices of charter companies with varying price ranges. There are lots of places in the Caribbean, but for a first time charter I can think of no place equal to the BVI‘s.

However, I don’t think you’re gonna be able to come this July. Almost all of the airports are closed. Every country and island that I know of has severe restrictions on even moving your boat. Sailing between islands is absolutely prohibited. We are in Martinique, and the bareboat charter companies here have shut down for the season. They are trying to use the time to do maintenance on the boats and other things to keep the employees busy. Very difficult economic times.

Best of luck with your vacation plans, but this summer is not a good one for travel.

Steve