Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Meets & Greets (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Hi everyone from new member in New Zealand (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/hi-everyone-from-new-member-in-new-zealand-231282.html)

woody6t1 06-03-2020 16:08

Hi everyone from new member in New Zealand

Kia ora, I'm Tim and I live in the Eastern Bay of Plenty in the North Island of NZ. I've been a member for a while reading a whole bunch of varied threads in a variety of forums.
I even posted once but seemed to have been burned a little for thread drift.
But I'm OK; healing quickly :biggrin:
Not really too much to my sailing CV, quite a bit of dinghy sailing 40+ years ago but with aspirations to go bluewater sailing and explore the South Sea Islands last year I managed to attain a bareboat skipper qualification.
Not too much experience to add to that; a few local days out coastal sailing.
Would love to own my own boat one day. Planning on doing as much crewing as I can fit around work...hopefully long-term renting before I buy, but that seems to be a bit of a unicorn.

Anyway, that's it for now.

Cheers

Woody

GordMay 07-03-2020 03:21

Re: Hi everyone from new member in New Zealand

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tim.

Marty Mosic 13-06-2020 21:27

Hi Woody, I'm a new member here too, like you I have dinghy sailing experience from way back. I'm fancying getting a yacht too, but I don't have any experience of yachts at all and haven't even been on one,yet...
We are from England but are in NZ living in our motorhome. We are in the Coromandel just now. Tauranga is one of our favourite places.
When you see them cruising around the lovely NZ coastline it's just fab. We were in the Bay of Islands just before lockdown, that must be another great place to sail.
Have fun

Tillsbury 13-06-2020 21:45

Hi Tim, welcome from down south

Compass790 13-06-2020 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Mosic (Post 3163434)
Hi Woody, I'm a new member here too, like you I have dinghy sailing experience from way back. I'm fancying getting a yacht too, but I don't have any experience of yachts at all and haven't even been on one,yet...
We are from England but are in NZ living in our motorhome. We are in the Coromandel just now. Tauranga is one of our favourite places.
When you see them cruising around the lovely NZ coastline it's just fab. We were in the Bay of Islands just before lockdown, that must be another great place to sail.
Have fun

Yep Bay of islands is a nice spot with plenty of good anchorages. Good for learners. We were there in lockdown.
If you can sail a dinghy you can sail a yacht. If you are in the Coromandel in a Moho, check out Hot Water Beach & Aunty Dawns place. They have good homebrew beer & the hot pools aren't too crowded at this time of year.