Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Meets & Greets (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   New guy (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/new-guy-230015.html)

Bulldog1015 07-02-2020 07:38

New guy

Hi new member here.

I want to buy a boat and start a charter sailing business in the carribean. What do you think?

tkeithlu 07-02-2020 07:52

Re: New guy

Welcome to the forum, Bulldog.

I don't know. What I or others might think would be dependent on a lot more information, such as your sailing experience, maintenance experience, and business experience. Tell us more.

mlydon 07-02-2020 08:08

you and EVERY OTHER new guy to the forum. I must have seen twenty of these discussions pop up over the last few years. It's kind of like how every northern-city cop and fireman want to buy a bar down there.....totally cliche.

Bottom line - very, VERY hard to pull off. Do a search and read through the threads. What is the hook that's going to distinguish you from all the established charters, what's your advertising plan, etc.

Matt

Bulldog1015 07-02-2020 08:27

Well it will be joint effort with my wife who would run the buisness aspect of it. I have some sailing experience growing up on a lake sailing. I have been in construction for over 20yrs. Started building houses out of high school and moved into excavation and heavy equipment operating. We were always fixing or maintaning something scheduled or totally unexpected so Im not to worried about the repairs and maintenance portion.

I am sick of working for other people and feel like I am wasting time in life doing something I dont want to do anymore. Over the last 6 months I have never felt more compelled to do anything in life then to buy a boat and sail away but will need income to maintain it.

Im 42 and we are not millionaire by far but doing ok. Originally wanted to wait 10 years or so to bank some more retirement and buy a boat while still gainfully employed and use it as our vacation home.

So I will need licensing and to get that I need expeirence in the areas i would be operating. So how do I get that while working full time?

Thanks
Josh

Bulldog1015 07-02-2020 08:42

Well aware of how cliche it sounds

Thanks Matt

GordMay 07-02-2020 08:44

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bulldog.
As a charter-boat captain, your job description might resemble "personal servant" and "Bed & Breakfast Host", serving & entertaining guests, in your home.

Fore and Aft 07-02-2020 23:20

Bulldog, Gordmays right if you think life’s bad now working for people imagine them sleeping in your house and wanting to be waited on 24/7? Then after busting your butt keeping them happy they still complain. I have met a number of charter skippers and some of their stories while funny are not something I would like to be involved with.
I have no idea how you can get your licenses but I reckon you need to take a 6 month sabbatical and immerse yourself in the industry.
Cheers