Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Engines and Propulsion Systems (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Newbie: adjusting valve clearance / valve lash (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/newbie-adjusting-valve-clearance-valve-lash-228437.html)

Dogscout 02-01-2020 10:41

Re: Newbie: adjusting valve clearance / valve lash

So what no one has said. Get a good set of feeler gauges. Either a full set or individual one for the sizes you need.

Now slip the feeler gauge between the rocker and the valve stem. Do not force it. Place a flat blade screwdriver in the adjuster and using an open end wrench, back off the adjustment nut 1/4 to 1/2 turn. turn the screw driver until slight drag is felt when slipping the feeler gauge between the valve and rocker. Slight drag is a matter of feeling it and not forcing it. Keeping the flat screwdriver holding the adjuster in place then tighten the nut with the open end wrench. Use the feeler gauge one more time to make sure that you have it good and go on to the next.

Reassembly is the reverse. As Mr. Haynes would say.

sailah 02-01-2020 11:03

2 Attachment(s)
^^^^

That's good advice. Especially the part about holding the adjuster with the screwdriver and tightening the lock nut. If you just tighten the locknut, you'll end up with tight clearances. And as noted, recheck once it's tight to be sure the feeler gauge has slight drag.

I also record the cylinder and clearances in my excel file to keep as record when I go to do them next. Helps you establish a baseline for what has tightened up since you last did them.

Attached are the service manual instructions for a Mitsubishi (Westerbeke) but they explain the process pretty well.

mrybas 02-01-2020 12:09

1 Attachment(s)
Iíve been turning over the crank until the in take and exhaust valves of the same cylinder both have play under the rocker arm. Then adjusting with a feeler gauge by the method described by Dog Scout.
Seems to be working.
Attachment 206093

FPNC 02-01-2020 12:29

Google "EOIC valve method" . It will make sense and works just fine without seeing any timing marks or even removing glow plugs or injectors.

AndyEss 02-01-2020 13:14

following

sy_gilana 02-01-2020 14:08

Hey Mike, been kiting recently?
You have all the answers above, just check if the manual says cold or warm when you measure....
Greetz from where you changed pitch on your props.

mrybas 02-01-2020 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by sy_gilana (Post 3048120)
Hey Mike, been kiting recently?
You have all the answers above, just check if the manual says cold or warm when you measure....
Greetz from where you changed pitch on your props.

Hey Mike! I havenít been kiting since October. Getting the boat ready to head S in a couple weeks. Hope to be kiting soon!

sfnz 03-01-2020 14:01

i use "back of the cam method", identify intake and exhaust valve, when intake has just closed set exhaust, when exhaust has just begun to open set intake, TDC not required,