Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   First, and possibly my last, boat (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/first-and-possibly-my-last-boat-227832.html)

valhalla360 25-12-2019 19:03

Re: First, and possibly my last, boat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carltonboyce (Post 3037256)
Good idea, thanks!

And yes, I've spend a lot of time in small wilderness cabins and caravans lately and don't mind tiny homes but appreciate that bigger might be better in the long-term!

Now try the caravaning but every time you want to go outside, you first sit on the floor and pretend to row for 15 minutes. Then when you get back before you do anything else, sit on the floor and pretend to row for 15 minutes.

We do both the boat and the RV thing...it's much different.

Really, below 30ft, you can get a basic functional boat cheap. Do that with some coastal cruising first, then when you have more experience, you will have a better idea of what boat will serve you best in the future.

Ken Fry 25-12-2019 23:19

Re: First, and possibly my last, boat

I'd suggest a more modern, lighter and faster design for a first boat. Modern boats can be easier to learn on, partly because they have larger cockpits and nice sail handling gear, and partly because you can easily find someone to sail with who has experience with such a boat, or a similar one.

As part of learning to sail, racing is fun and valuable experience. A more modern design is more fun to race, partly because even if you are racing in a handicap fleet, the competition will be more similar in performance. You may find that racing is really fun, and then might want to race in a one design fleet, which is a better-yet learning experience. The comraderie in a one design fleet is invaluable for learning, meeting friends, getting experience on other boats, etc.

For living aboard, a modern design is much more pleasant -- they tend to be brighter and airier and much more spacious due to greater beam. There are good reasons for Beneteaus outselling NorSea by 1000:1. The Norsea is a good boat for its niche, but the Beneteaus (etc) are more versatile. Once you have several years of experience sailing, living aboard, cruising, then you can make an informed choice for a REAL cruising boat... and at that point you may realize that you want something with a much longer waterline that a NorSea, nicer accomodations, etc. Perhaps you will still like the NorSea, but in the interim, you will have learned a lot and put far less money at risk.

In today's market, a NorSea is very nearly a "character boat" in the sense that it looks like a real blue water boat (based on an old standard) but there are loads of other designs making far more crossings. A friend sailed around the world with a NorSea 27 about 35 years ago. A good choice for single handing, back then.

Would you rather dance with Queen Elizabeth or Meghan Markle?