Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   anchoring rights in Langkawi threatened ! (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f57/anchoring-rights-in-langkawi-threatened-227575.html)

lucseawalker 10-12-2019 06:01

anchoring rights in Langkawi threatened !

Like in many other places around the globe, new regulations sometimes do not take into consideration, us the cruisers! Please sign the petition (see link) as Langkawi is one of the best place to visit & hang around in SE Asia ...

https://chng.it/KXccB27Q4n

psk125 10-12-2019 07:26

Re: anchoring rights in Langkawi threatened !

Why are the authorities considering changing the current options? (investigating before condemning??;))

john61ct 10-12-2019 14:29

Easily determined by asking "who benefits"?

Local commercial interests are not going to be swayed by the desires of visiting foreigners.

Shrew 10-12-2019 14:38

Here is the actual notice:

https://www.marine.gov.my/jlm/pic/art.../PCN092016.pdf

It's pretty tough to claim 'rights' as a foreigner in a foreign country.

fxykty 10-12-2019 17:01

Does this apply just to the port area or to the whole archipelago?

lucseawalker 10-12-2019 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by psk125 (Post 3033089)
Why are the authorities considering changing the current options? (investigating before condemning??;))

No idea who is behind this ! The local marinas are pretty much full ... so forcing all boats to anchor in only 2 areas already crowded does not seem a great solution anyway ...

lucseawalker 10-12-2019 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxykty (Post 3033537)
Does this apply just to the port area or to the whole archipelago?

Seems to be all of Langkawi archipelago ! Possible anchorages in teh area are not crowded at all, other than the 2 ports they want to force sailors to anchor in ... so not much sense of this ... It just restrict freedom of movement and exploration!

Dsanduril 10-12-2019 18:16

The regulatory notice was issued three-and-a-half years ago and the petition references that notice. So, why now? Has enforcement been stepped up or changed? Seems like otherwise this is very old news.

lucseawalker 10-12-2019 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dsanduril (Post 3033586)
The regulatory notice was issued three-and-a-half years ago and the petition references that notice. So, why now? Has enforcement been stepped up or changed? Seems like otherwise this is very old news.

Nobody enforced it before and it looks like the authorities (or some people) are ready to enforce this unpopular regulation now!

skipperpete 11-12-2019 00:34

It's difficult to know exactly why the initial regulatory notice was issued but john61ct is right about local commercial interests being involved. The Pantai Cenang anchorage was made unusable by parasailing and other high speed water sports. The issue of boats left for years abandoned at anchor and eventually ending up on the beach or rocks must also have influenced the Jabatan Laut decision to regulate and now apparently enforce anchoring areas. There have been a number of incidents that have occurred due to abandoned yachts breaking free and damaging jetties and causing pollution , including the wreck of a very large steel sailing vessel on the rocks at the entrance to Bass harbour near the luxury hotels. Another 4 masted private yacht lies at anchor now for 3 years having already been washed ashore in Thailand previously.
Can the OP tell us if the notice is actually being enforced now on occupied anchored yachts ?( I suspect that eventually , abandoned uninsured/ unregistered boats might be seized and auctioned)
None of this regulation should be a surprise to US cruisers, there is a thread on the forum about more or less this issue in US waters " Homeless anchor out" and Australia has long had restrictions on harbour anchoring.
I don't agree with Jabatan Laut applying the regulations but I can definitely see why.

lucseawalker 11-12-2019 03:58

Thanks for the details. Abandoned boats are indeed a problem everywhere, including in marinas & boatyards. Irresponsible yacht owners leave a very bad wake for anyone sailing around ... In Langkawi and Thailand, they are more and more enforcing the fact that visiting boats show proof of liability insurance, what I think is fair enough.
But it is alas far easier to just forbid than regulate!

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipperpete (Post 3033741)
It's difficult to know exactly why the initial regulatory notice was issued but john61ct is right about local commercial interests being involved. The Pantai Cenang anchorage was made unusable by parasailing and other high speed water sports. The issue of boats left for years abandoned at anchor and eventually ending up on the beach or rocks must also have influenced the Jabatan Laut decision to regulate and now apparently enforce anchoring areas. There have been a number of incidents that have occurred due to abandoned yachts breaking free and damaging jetties and causing pollution , including the wreck of a very large steel sailing vessel on the rocks at the entrance to Bass harbour near the luxury hotels. Another 4 masted private yacht lies at anchor now for 3 years having already been washed ashore in Thailand previously.
Can the OP tell us if the notice is actually being enforced now on occupied anchored yachts ?( I suspect that eventually , abandoned uninsured/ unregistered boats might be seized and auctioned)
None of this regulation should be a surprise to US cruisers, there is a thread on the forum about more or less this issue in US waters " Homeless anchor out" and Australia has long had restrictions on harbour anchoring.
I don't agree with Jabatan Laut applying the regulations but I can definitely see why.

Pelagic 11-12-2019 07:28

What this tells me is that when a local community starts making rules for their foreshore areas, it is getting too crowded and to just plan for a short stay.

mikecambrai 11-12-2019 09:38

Presumably, when a 'foreigner' enters the country he/she has to notify the authorities. At that time the issue of ownership, insurance and local regulations should be presented to the the owners so that they know what is expected.
It is crazy that an abandoned yacht is left by the authorities who, rather than regulate with monthly visits or low cost boat visa, allow the situation to get so bad. As always Governments are incapable of actually managing any situation for the good of all.

joelhemington 11-12-2019 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrew (Post 3033430)
Here is the actual notice:

https://www.marine.gov.my/jlm/pic/art.../PCN092016.pdf

It's pretty tough to claim 'rights' as a foreigner in a foreign country.

Unless you happen to be in the PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia):biggrin:

john61ct 11-12-2019 11:08

Rights are granted, enforced by a government.

If not then claiming them is meaningless and futile