Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Gel batteries (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/gel-batteries-227537.html)

a64pilot 09-12-2019 08:25

Gel batteries

Iím thinking my next bank will be Gel, so Iíd like to know what you guys know about Gel banks, strengths and weaknesses. How hard can they be charged, do you have to limit charge current or do they like other LA batteries self limit by acceptance rate if charge voltage is tightly controlled.
Probably make this change next year.

Iím not interested in LFP.

I have the ability to program charge voltages to the .1V on all sources and can terminate charge on shore power and Solar by trailing amps.

Then finally and important to me, does anyone know of a US source of a 12V 200 amp Gel battery? My battery box is apparently made for that big ole battery, my specific problem is height, be a whole lot easier if I can go with that battery unless of course there are no good 200 amp 12V batteries.
Only ones I can find are Renogy batteries, and I have no idea who manufacturers them and if they are a very high quality battery or not.
Plus Iím having difficulty finding out specific charge information on that battery, I guess Iíve been spoiled by Lifelineís manual.

NewMoon 09-12-2019 09:07

Re: Gel batteries

Highly regarded East Penn (Deka) 8D gels have 225 AH. I had 4D Deka gels on my boat when I bought it. They were 14 years old at the time, and still functioning for another year before I replaced them.

Adelie 09-12-2019 09:15

6v deepcycle gels: https://www.trojanbattery.com/product/6v-gel/

a64pilot 09-12-2019 09:26

Thing that kills me is battery box height. My lifeline GPL-4CT are actually about 1/8 too tall, the box cover is slightly proud with them installed.
They are I believe 9.9Ē tall. So if possible a max height of 9.75Ē or less is desired.
Iíll measure the actual box dimensions to see what will fit.

a64pilot 09-12-2019 09:36

Gel batteries

1 Attachment(s)
Unfortunately I really donít have access to do a nice computer drawing, but hope this is legible.
What batteries do you guys think this box was designed for?
That would probably help knowing. A lot.
Attachment 204667

hugoman 09-12-2019 09:37

I fitted 3 gel (80 AH) on my sun odyssey 34.2 8 years ago. Yes, you do have to charge them slower (smart regulator takes care of that) and I have a big solar array, to keep them topped up. When my boat is on its mooring I actually leave the fridge on in the summer (victron MPPT reg takes care of that bit) and I've even fitted (and am currently tested) electric hot water (from solar, not shore power).

Adelie 09-12-2019 09:42

Gel batteries

I think you are out of luck for height unless you are willing to go with AGM and smaller batteries.

https://www.eastpennmanufacturing.co...Flyer-1740.pdf

a64pilot 09-12-2019 09:42

Gel batteries

1 Attachment(s)
Missing dimension added
Attachment 204673

a64pilot 09-12-2019 09:43

Well, the boat shipped with some kind of batteries in it.

Adelie 09-12-2019 09:45

Looks like 3 batteries oriented L-R.

I would look to changing the space to suit available batteries rather than finding batteries that will fit it. Battery dimensions have changed.
If you want a real golf-cart (deep-cycle) battery you will need to deal with their normal dimensions now.

Stu Jackson 09-12-2019 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 3032397)
Unfortunately I really don’t have access to do a nice computer drawing, but hope this is legible.
What batteries do you guys think this box was designed for?
That would probably help knowing. A lot.

a64, many of us have been following your battery box "woes" for quite some time, in my case because you've written some very good posts on the limits of AGMs.

I'm sure you've considered getting a hold of Bob and asking him. Is he "still around?"

a64pilot 09-12-2019 10:18

A little digging has found it came with ďPrevailerĒ Gel batteries, which in 1987 was apparently a Military battery designed to meet ďNatoĒ specís.
I believe that makes it a Sonnenschein battery, but unfortunately I canít find model or group number.

a64pilot 09-12-2019 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Jackson (Post 3032420)
a64, many of us have been following your battery box "woes" for quite some time, in my case because you've written some very good posts on the limits of AGMs.

I'm sure you've considered getting a hold of Bob and asking him. Is he "still around?"

I called the factory, she said she will look up the drawings, but Iím not holding my breath, cause I have asked for info before and never gotten an answer back from them.
I have no idea about Bob Johnson.
My gut says the original factory battery size may still exist, and if itís a Sonnenschein battery it may be expensive, but I believe they have a good reputation.
Then I have to find a source on this side of the pond.

99% sure I canít easily increase the depth of the battery box as the hull is in the way.
That means moving the bank into other storage space, which I donít want to loose space if I can help It. Storage space is of course at a premium and we have sort of gotten used to what is where.
Space that I would lose would be less than half full of batteries, and of course you donít really want to store anything on top of batteries.

Sure would be a lot easier to find what Gel battery actually went in there and buy it if itís available.

Adelie 09-12-2019 10:26

https://www.sonnenschein.org/Prevailer.htm

Cheechako 09-12-2019 10:34

I had gel on two boats. One set was Deka. They were great. I never even adjusted charging voltage. I just "let er rip" and the banks were still good when the boats were sold.