Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Multihull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   ARC 2019 - Cat about to take line honours (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/arc-2019-cat-about-to-take-line-honours-227379.html)

Jeannius 05-12-2019 10:47

ARC 2019 - Cat about to take line honours

The first boats in this year's Atlantic Rally for Cruisers are about to arrive in St Lucia. Looks like it will be cats first across the line for, I THINK, the first time ever. See here... https://www.worldcruising.com/arc/ar...eetviewer.aspx

mbuckely 05-12-2019 12:09

Re: ARC 2019 - Cat about to take line honours

“Cruisers” is the operative word. Finishing position or position of one manufacturer to the next is meaningless in my opinion.

Hope everyone had a safe & enjoyable passage

StuM 05-12-2019 15:07

To me, the concept of awarding "line honours" to a boat in a "Rally for Cruisers" is on a par with awarding a prize for the first person to finish their meal at a gourmet dinner :)

Breaking Waves 05-12-2019 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuM (Post 3030057)
To me, the concept of awarding "line honours" to a boat in a "Rally for Cruisers" is on a par with awarding a prize for the first person to finish their meal at a gourmet dinner :)

There are racing classes, and at least some people in those classes take it pretty seriously.

Different strokes for different folks ... the arc has done well catering to people with a wide range of objectives.

KC375 05-12-2019 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbuckely (Post 3029954)
“Cruisers” is the operative word. Finishing position or position of one manufacturer to the next is meaningless in my opinion.

Hope everyone had a safe & enjoyable passage

I agree that one should not read much into one set of results – maybe more determined by who pushed hard and who lollygagged along. But I don’t think they are meaningless – accumulated results over multiple boats of a type over multiple years do paint a picture of how a particular boat might perform cruising.

mglonnro 06-12-2019 00:07

Quote:

“We had the spinnaker up all the way; it was great fun!” enthused crew member David Hoey, originally from Ireland and the only non-French member of the crew. He explained some of the challenges of the trip “We hit a top speed of 25 knots and had to be very careful to keep control of the boat all of the time as the spinnaker is so big.”
Last year's line honours. Doesn't sound too "cruisy". The boat a JP54 with upwind SA/D 54 and downwind 108!

A cruising boat, for sure, if you take an IMOCA as the starting point :)

Quote:

"I imagined the yacht in my dreams during last two Vendée Globe, when i asked myself what would be the ideal boat for a cruise. I wanted to sail on the ocean and at the same be able to stop over. So I started to scribble down a few ideas here and there, and I made a note of what could be transferred from a racing machine (Imoca) to a fast sailing yacht."
https://www.jpdick-yachts.com/
https://www.jpdick-yachts.com/technical-overview

CHRIS V CLEMENT 06-12-2019 09:17

For over 400 years, anytime 2 sailing vessels happen to be going in the same direction, it becomes a race.
Sometimes it involves piracy or simple survival.
Today it is typically just plain fun.
We are all looking for, or should be, some fun every time we are on the water.

Congratulations to all of the sailors for participating in this event.

captmikem 06-12-2019 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuM (Post 3030057)

Or the first cow to arrive when driving a heard of cattle across the plains.

M

tarian 06-12-2019 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRIS V CLEMENT (Post 3030432)
For over 400 years, anytime 2 sailing vessels happen to be going in the same direction, it becomes a race.
Sometimes it involves piracy or simple survival.
Today it is typically just plain fun.
We are all looking for, or should be, some fun every time we are on the water.

Congratulations to all of the sailors for participating in this event.

Well said... Its a bit of fun for most and a minority of boats are racing for certain honors, it is a bit of fun at the end of a long trip to have an awards ceremony for all sorts of stuff. Wd to all that made it some on their first long trip. ..... All party poopers please leave the room
And

Pete7 06-12-2019 09:58

Seems to be an awful lot of big yachts. I count only 12 of the fleet that are less than 40 ft.

Pete

a64pilot 06-12-2019 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 (Post 3030464)
Seems to be an awful lot of big yachts. I count only 12 of the fleet that are less than 40 ft.

Pete

And I have not looked but I bet many are newer boats too.
It seems that in just the last five years that average boat size has grown significantly. I believe that is due to either low interest rates, or people just desire to have bigger “stuff” from houses to cars and boats.
Won’t be long before average is 50’.

LLCoolDave 06-12-2019 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 (Post 3030464)

Pete

Small boat owners like me (36ft) find better ways to spend money than exorbitant entry fees.

Sailing4Jesus 06-12-2019 11:43

Can someone tell me how in Sams Hill can one attach a picture here?

Senior Chief

mglonnro 06-12-2019 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailing4Jesus (Post 3030539)
Can someone tell me how in Sams Hill can one attach a picture here?

Senior Chief

Scroll down from the text editor and you see a button ”Manage Attachments”. The truth is in there!

Bundyon 06-12-2019 14:09

I have never participated in a yacht rally, maybe next year we might do the Go East Rally to New Caledonia. They certainly look like a lot of fun and good camradie. I know for sure with my boat (a 42' steel Spray Ketch) we would get " over the line Last honours" lol. But we would have a boatload of fun!!