Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Waterproof (submersible) connector for bilge level switch (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/waterproof-submersible-connector-for-bilge-level-switch-227115.html)

ayates 28-11-2019 20:34

Waterproof (submersible) connector for bilge level switch

Any recommendations on connectors that are completely waterproof? They would be potentially sitting in bilge water connecting 3 conductor #16 cable (8.85mm OD) to bilge switches. I can make waterproof permanent connections, but looking to make the disconnectable.

Thanks,

Allan.

john61ct 28-11-2019 20:40

Re: Waterproof (submersible) connector for bilge level switch

Crimp wiring in long enough that any joins or connectors are rarely actually submerged, never is better of course.

See Mainesail's guides on properly crimping adhesive-filled heatshrink terminations.

TE/AMP Deutsch for connectors if really needed

stormalong 28-11-2019 20:52

Go to Allied Electronics and search on Bulgin waterproof connectors. They are very good. I have one in my anchor locker that gets submerged regularly and it has never leaked. It is an industrial connector and far better than you can get in a marine store.

One caveat. Shop carefully - the parts must be purchased separately - the cable boot, the connector itself and the waterproof screw down cap.

ayates 28-11-2019 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormalong (Post 3025556)
... search on Bulgin waterproof connectors. They are very good. ... It is an industrial connector and far better than you can get in a marine store.

I had come across Bulgin in my searching, they looked good, but you never know with marketing these days :) Great to hear a personal recommendation for them.

Thanks,

Allan.

hernandobeach 29-11-2019 10:44

After learning the hard way I rewired to use tinned copper and also tinned the ends of the wire when I cut it (all you need to do is solder the wire ends). The recommended water proof connectors work well. I add some conductive grease to the connection and shrink wrap it as well......... In one case I ran the connectors in a small section of PVC pipe. You put the conductor through an end cap, then put on the connector, (leave extra wire) make the connection, in the PVC pipe and put the cap on with Teflon tape to get a water tight seal. I used hot glue to seal the wire to the pipe caps. That ended my corrosion issues in the bilge. Maybe a bit over the top, but it worked for me.

NorthCoastJoe 29-11-2019 19:07

The best is using a kit meant for submersible well pumps. My last one has been down my well for over 20 years. If it fails the pump will die.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...K400/205617995

ramblinrod 29-11-2019 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayates (Post 3025547)
Any recommendations on connectors that are completely waterproof? They would be potentially sitting in bilge water connecting 3 conductor #16 cable (8.85mm OD) to bilge switches. I can make waterproof permanent connections, but looking to make the disconnectable.

Thanks,

Allan.

I route the supplied wires as high as possible out of the bilge and make connections ring terminals, coated in liquid electrical tape and covered with heat shrink, on barrier strips in a waterproof junction box.

Wotname 30-11-2019 02:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramblinrod (Post 3026229)
I route the supplied wires as high as possible out of the bilge and make connections ring terminals, coated in liquid electrical tape and covered with heat shrink, on barrier strips in a waterproof junction box.

This +1

Way better than waterproof disconnect in the bilge.

Crocboy 03-12-2019 03:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramblinrod (Post 3026229)

Exactly!! If your wiring isn't able to go high enough, why not make the connections in the bilge permanent and the disconnects above the water line where they remain dry.