Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Any recommendations for a lightweight folding electric bike to take cruising? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/any-recommendations-for-a-lightweight-folding-electric-bike-to-take-cruising-226459.html)

magentawave 12-11-2019 20:16

Any recommendations for a lightweight folding electric bike to take cruising?
 
After sailing from Santa Barbara to San Diego recently I have decided that a lightweight folding electric bike could be ideal to have on a cruising sailboat. I would use it to get supplies, explore, and get to the beach with my surf sup.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for reliable brands or ones to stay away from?

Thanks:smile:

Lost Horizons 12-11-2019 20:31

Re: Any recommendations for a lightweight folding electric bike to take cruising?
 
Heard good things about this one, but no first hand experience: https://www.ridecarbo.com/

Minggat 12-11-2019 20:57

Re: Any recommendations for a lightweight folding electric bike to take cruising?
 
I have electric stand up scooters. They go into the stores with me. My anti theft plan give me much more peace of mind. They also fold up smaller, and can go on busses, unless you get a cranky bus driver. Only had one, which just gave me a warning.


I used Goped gas powered scooters in Mexico. Bus once stopped for us, the driver got out and opened the storage compartment below for the Gopeds. Such a non-issue.


I love the electric scooters so much more than the gas powered.

magentawave 13-11-2019 12:14

Re: Any recommendations for a lightweight folding electric bike to take cruising?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost Horizons (Post 3014779)
Heard good things about this one, but no first hand experience: https://www.ridecarbo.com/

Thanks, but it's crazy how expensive some of these little folding ebikes are.

I have more digging to do but this is a possibility: https://tinyurl.com/twn9vbf

The challenge is figuring out how to add easy to install and remove racks to carry stuff and be able to transport an 8-6+- surf sup.

magentawave 13-11-2019 12:16

Re: Any recommendations for a lightweight folding electric bike to take cruising?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minggat (Post 3014784)
I have electric stand up scooters. They go into the stores with me. My anti theft plan give me much more peace of mind. They also fold up smaller, and can go on busses, unless you get a cranky bus driver. Only had one, which just gave me a warning.

I used Goped gas powered scooters in Mexico. Bus once stopped for us, the driver got out and opened the storage compartment below for the Gopeds. Such a non-issue.

I love the electric scooters so much more than the gas powered.


I think I need something a little more bike-ish than a scooter to be able to carry stuff and take my surf sup, though. Right?

a64pilot 13-11-2019 20:23

Any recommendations for a lightweight folding electric bike to take cruising?
 
Whatís wrong with pedaling a bike? The electrics are going to add quite a bit of weight, a hub motor and a battery large enough to do much has to be 8lbs at least.
Just me, but I doubt a stack of flashlight batteries in a seat post is going to provide a lot of power.
Either go pure electric or pedal. Not that Iíve ridden every electric bike, but those that I have pedal like crap without electric assist.

Smokeys Kitchen 14-11-2019 10:25

Re: Any recommendations for a lightweight folding electric bike to take cruising?
 
You might send a PM to Kenomac on this forum. He has extensive experience w/ bikes (former racer I believe) and he and his wife carry 2 on their boat. I don't think either are electric, but they do know good bikes.

IWOJones 14-11-2019 10:43

Re: Any recommendations for a lightweight folding electric bike to take cruising?
 
Try:

https://www.brompton.com/bikes/brompton-electric

A light weight foldable electric bike

Scubableu 14-11-2019 10:54

Re: Any recommendations for a lightweight folding electric bike to take cruising?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by magentawave (Post 3014774)
After sailing from Santa Barbara to San Diego recently I have decided that a lightweight folding electric bike could be ideal to have on a cruising sailboat. I would use it to get supplies, explore, and get to the beach with my surf sup.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for reliable brands or ones to stay away from?

Thanks:smile:

Wish these were not so expensive. Light, foldable, even off road (abit) https://cycleboard.com/

Volkeno 14-11-2019 11:18

Re: Any recommendations for a lightweight folding electric bike to take cruising?
 
I have a Sondors Fold X which is a fat tire folding bike. It weighs 70 pounds so itís not small or light, although it is a lot of fun.
I also have a Carbo which folds up very small and since itís made of carbon fiber, it weighs 12kg which is about 30 pounds. I bought the fully loaded version with fenders and a rack and I got the single speed version with a belt instead of a chain. If you are riding a lot of hills the chain with the seven speed cassette is probably a better choice, but since it has four assist levels, you can just adjust that to help with hills. The Carbo is pretty easy to pedal with the motor off as well and they sell different seat posts with different amounts of batteries or none. I usually pedal about 10mph because of the 20 inch tires and single speed, but with gears you can pedal faster. The motor will go 20mph.

joelhemington 14-11-2019 11:26

Re: Any recommendations for a lightweight folding electric bike to take cruising?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by magentawave (Post 3014774)
After sailing from Santa Barbara to San Diego recently I have decided that a lightweight folding electric bike could be ideal to have on a cruising sailboat. I would use it to get supplies, explore, and get to the beach with my surf sup.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for reliable brands or ones to stay away from?

Thanks:smile:

How about an electric skateboard? Wear a daypack for stuff and just carry your surf board in the normal fashion. You can find decent ones for less than $400 and they won't take up much space on your boat.

zstine 14-11-2019 11:45

Re: Any recommendations for a lightweight folding electric bike to take cruising?
 
For ~$200 you can buy a conversion kit ( https://www.amazon.com/AW-Electric-B...3756681&sr=8-7 ), which definitely makes sense if you already have folding bikes. Add $100 for a battery and you can bolt on for $300. Even if you don't have bikes, There's a lot available for $200 with racks ( https://www.amazon.com/Xspec-Folding...3756963&sr=8-5 ). So a few hours of assembly and you have your ebike for $500ish.

Puget Dan 14-11-2019 13:21

Re: Any recommendations for a lightweight folding electric bike to take cruising?
 
Yes this Rad folding e-bike is off and on road bike with tough tires. Works really well. It is also on sale for black Friday. Not light at 60lbs.
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...18180033675360

wrwakefield 14-11-2019 13:43

Re: Any recommendations for a lightweight folding electric bike to take cruising?
 
Magenta,

Ben at Panbo wrote a few articles re: electric bikes he was trying out for his use when boating.

He wrote at least one follow-up article re: folding electrics as well. [linked in article above...]

In case that is of interest.

Cheers! Bill

magentawave 14-11-2019 13:51

Re: Any recommendations for a lightweight folding electric bike to take cruising?
 
Guys, I'm considering this one on Amazon for $599: https://tinyurl.com/twn9vbf
43 pounds. Aluminum alloy. Folded: 29.5 x 13.8 x 25.6

I'm going to hit up a local bike store that carries folding electric bikes and try one that has the little 16" wheels. I keep thinking of a circus character (or was it an animal in a circus) when I see those little wheels so hopefully riding one won't be ridiculous!



Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 3015385)
Whatís wrong with pedaling a bike? The electrics are going to add quite a bit of weight, a hub motor and a battery large enough to do much has to be 8lbs at least.
Just me, but I doubt a stack of flashlight batteries in a seat post is going to provide a lot of power.
Either go pure electric or pedal. Not that Iíve ridden every electric bike, but those that I have pedal like crap without electric assist.

I'm not a kid so the only thing "wrong" with pedaling would be the energy expended that I would rather use for surfing. I've been seeing a lot of surfers using these and they are amazingly powerful and do quite well going up hills even. Surfers in San Clemente use them to get to Trestles so they can ride right up to the beach instead of dealing with traffic in their car and having to park far away from the beach.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen (Post 3015652)
You might send a PM to Kenomac on this forum. He has extensive experience w/ bikes (former racer I believe) and he and his wife carry 2 on their boat. I don't think either are electric, but they do know good bikes.

I used to ride a full-suspension $4000.00 Specialized 29er mountain bike so I know "good bikes" too which is one of my concerns about this silly looking thing with 16" tires. I will contact him, though. Thank you.



Quote:

Originally Posted by IWOJones (Post 3015670)
Try:

https://www.brompton.com/bikes/brompton-electric

A light weight foldable electric bike

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scubableu (Post 3015685)
Wish these were not so expensive. Light, foldable, even off road (abit) https://cycleboard.com/

Both are ridiculously expensive, but thanks. I'm considering this one for $599. https://tinyurl.com/twn9vbf



Quote:

Originally Posted by joelhemington (Post 3015710)
How about an electric skateboard? Wear a daypack for stuff and just carry your surf board in the normal fashion. You can find decent ones for less than $400 and they won't take up much space on your boat.

It's a surf sup so it's longer, thicker and wider than a shortboard so I'm going to need a rack of some kind to carry it. (I'm 200 pounds and my favorite go-to surf sup at the moment is 8-6 x 29" x 4" thick. It's very light but still kind of a beast compared to a shortboard.)



Quote:

Originally Posted by zstine (Post 3015728)
For ~$200 you can buy a conversion kit ( https://www.amazon.com/AW-Electric-B...3756681&sr=8-7 ), which definitely makes sense if you already have folding bikes. Add $100 for a battery and you can bolt on for $300. Even if you don't have bikes, There's a lot available for $200 with racks ( https://www.amazon.com/Xspec-Folding...3756963&sr=8-5 ). So a few hours of assembly and you have your ebike for $500ish.

Good idea and that would make sense if I already had a folding bike.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:04.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.