Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Marine Electronics (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/)
-   -   Analog to NMEA2000 (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/analog-to-nmea2000-223169.html)

kev_rm 30-08-2019 07:54

Analog to NMEA2000

I know there have been prior threads here, but I am wondering if any product development is actually happening actively in this space?

I've had a Noland on my last boat, it was not great - required clunky windows serial interface and difficult to calibrate. Further, it and its competitors like AlbaCombi look like they are completely stagnant (no updates in 18+months) which is obviously not a good choice in long run.

ohgary 30-08-2019 09:07

Re: Analog to NMEA2000

Not sure in the commerical space but if you want to try a DIY approval check out Sailboat Instruments: Building your own NMEA 2000 Device There are a couple of Nmea 2000 libraries on github. With that pretty much anything can be collected through an arduino and dumpped on the nmea 2000 buss. Now having something to listen for it might be another issue.

kev_rm 30-08-2019 12:51

Thanks for the link. I've built similar systems before, looking for a commercially supported option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohgary (Post 2965973)
Not sure in the commerical space but if you want to try a DIY approval check out Sailboat Instruments: Building your own NMEA 2000 Device There are a couple of Nmea 2000 libraries on github. With that pretty much anything can be collected through an arduino and dumpped on the nmea 2000 buss. Now having something to listen for it might be another issue.

CaptTom 30-08-2019 16:35

I was going to suggest the Noland line. I had mine all set up in a day, and it's been rock solid ever since. Never had to change or recalibrate anything. I guess YMMV.

Admittedly, I used the values on the existing analog gauges to calibrate the Noland. I figured they've been accurate enough to run the boat from for over 35 years. Converting those same values to digital won't hurt anything now. I did splurge and get a pair of direct tach pickups for my mains, then shoot the engines with a laser tach to calibrate, since the old alternator-based tachs were always suspect. Also, with twins it's nice to have an accurate readout when synching them.

smac999 30-08-2019 17:43

I have used this one a few times. it requires their USB gateway to program though which adds to the cost

https://www.actisense.com/product/emu-1/

kev_rm 31-08-2019 05:41

Thanks for the note - again... two problems for me: 1) Windows Dependency 2) Their last firmware was updated on Thu, 19 Jan 2017. Its not actually being supported or invested in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptTom (Post 2966272)
I was going to suggest the Noland line. I had mine all set up in a day, and it's been rock solid ever since. Never had to change or recalibrate anything. I guess YMMV.

Admittedly, I used the values on the existing analog gauges to calibrate the Noland. I figured they've been accurate enough to run the boat from for over 35 years. Converting those same values to digital won't hurt anything now. I did splurge and get a pair of direct tach pickups for my mains, then shoot the engines with a laser tach to calibrate, since the old alternator-based tachs were always suspect. Also, with twins it's nice to have an accurate readout when synching them.

CaptTom 31-08-2019 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev_rm (Post 2966482)
Thanks for the note - again... two problems for me: 1) Windows Dependency 2) Their last firmware was updated on Thu, 19 Jan 2017. Its not actually being supported or invested in.

Good point about Windows, not really sure if there's a way around that.

But to the other point, I'd much prefer something which simply works, year after year, than one that's engineered with planned obsolescence and is declared "legacy" and unsupported by the manufacturer after 18 months (e.g.; Garmin.)

I'd vote for reliability and support over frequent updates any day.

I hope you'll post here when you find a good unit which doesn't require Windows. I agree that's a show-stopper for some folks. Hopefully, for me too when I finally ditch my old Windows laptop!

kev_rm 31-08-2019 09:34

The Alba Combi is pure web based configuration - just plug it in to ethernet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptTom (Post 2966571)

I hope you'll post here when you find a good unit which doesn't require Windows. I agree that's a show-stopper for some folks. Hopefully, for me too when I finally ditch my old Windows laptop!

ronstory 31-08-2019 09:42

The RS11 has been around since at least 2010, so I would not expect many updates for 9+ year old product that had pretty simple and defined functionality. Once upon a time I was "religious" on tech, now I just want it work. If I have use *DOS* to setup a gizmo once, no issue for me. ;^)

YMMV

smac999 31-08-2019 20:54

You want a long lasting, working, non pc way of showing analog data. Itís called analog gauges...

sometimes new tech is not Better.

anthem00 01-09-2019 04:12

The ones I know of that :

Actisense emu-1
Alba combi
Northern lights wave net (which is called sorting else now ).