Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Meets & Greets (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Which Yacht Club is Toronto (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/which-yacht-club-is-toronto-222868.html)

gauravshinde 23-08-2019 17:03

Which Yacht Club is Toronto
 
Please excuse the typo in the title- I was typing on my phone.

Hi all,

I purchased a Baba 35 recently and now I need to get membership to a yacht club. I'm new to the area and presently I live in London, ON.

I'm trying to spend less than C$8k in the first year since I've already made the big purchase.

Looking for yacht clubs that:
1. Let owners work on the boat when on the hard
2. A good community atmosphere
3. Have a good racing program
4. I plan to liveaboard in the winter

Let me know if there are people from these yacht clubs here and other who have experience of this area.

Thanks in advance
G

PS: I'm entering my Baba 35 in the GGR :)

Svsumurun 23-08-2019 17:21

Re: Which Yacht Club is Toronto
 
If you are in London , look for stuff on Lake Erie , not Toronto. It will be cheaper, and a lot closer and no traffic !
Been a while since I've moved to this side of the lakes, but I think there is a pretty good club in Kingsville ?

gauravshinde 23-08-2019 17:28

Re: Which Yacht Club is Toronto
 
Actually my wife works in Toronto, so logistically that's better. Erie definitely has cheaper clubs. But I want to participate in the Lake Ontario Offshore Racing series in 2020 so Lake Ontario is best for me.

Ungvar 23-08-2019 18:51

Re: Which Yacht Club is Toronto
 
I used to live aboard in Toronto. Basically none of them fit that description. If you want to winter live aboard there is PCYC in Mississauga. Don't know much about their racing program.

Some of the clubs out by Bluffers Park are affordable and DIY freindly and the marina there allows live aboards.

Thats what I would do. Club during the summer months then move to a marina in the winter. Bluffers Park Marina and Marina Quay West are both winter live aboard freindly and nice spots.

Lake-Effect 23-08-2019 19:09

Re: Which Yacht Club is Toronto
 
We're members at LSYC and we have a few winter liveaboards, but it's not that close to downtown.

Most larger clubs have racing, and there's now some inter-club racing too.

Many area clubs have waiting lists, and initiation fees and debentures... You should start googling and make some calls.

Dark Horse 23-08-2019 19:12

Re: Which Yacht Club is Toronto
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gauravshinde (Post 2961535)
Please excuse the typo in the title- I was typing on my phone.

4. I plan to liveaboard in the winter

G

PS: I'm entering my Baba 35 in the GGR :)


I don't think any Toronto YC will let you live aboard in the first two years. Also bebcareful what you say on the way in. Some if you tell then you want to live aboard will reject your membership.

LittleWing77 24-08-2019 02:59

Re: Which Yacht Club is Toronto
 
PCYC (Port Credit Yacht Club) has excellent racing and a lovely (small - about 18 boats) who live aboard year-round. They have their own Yard and workshop for members' use. They are also close to the GO Train into Toronto.

They made a push a couple of years ago to increase acceptance of members with boats 35' or less (their bigger slips are all taken, apparently) by giving them a break on entry fees... don't know if that's still the case.

I'm not affiliated w PCYC in any way (although I do know their Race Director), just know this because I looked into it myself a couple of years ago.

Good luck in your search!
Warmly,
LittleWing

gauravshinde 24-08-2019 08:07

Re: Which Yacht Club is Toronto
 
*****! I messed it up entirely. I type faster than I think. I am much better on the water.

I don't plan to liveaboard in the winter. Only in the summers! Why the heck would I live aboard in Toronto winters.

gauravshinde 24-08-2019 08:11

Re: Which Yacht Club is Toronto
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleWing77 (Post 2961708)
PCYC (Port Credit Yacht Club) has excellent racing and a lovely (small - about 18 boats) who live aboard year-round. They have their own Yard and workshop for members' use. They are also close to the GO Train into Toronto.

They made a push a couple of years ago to increase acceptance of members with boats 35' or less (their bigger slips are all taken, apparently) by giving them a break on entry fees... don't know if that's still the case.

I'm not affiliated w PCYC in any way (although I do know their Race Director), just know this because I looked into it myself a couple of years ago.

Good luck in your search!
Warmly,
LittleWing

Thank you. I have been thinking of PCYC as @Connamera said that they are the ones who are most active in LOOR

Ungvar 24-08-2019 08:14

Re: Which Yacht Club is Toronto
 
I thought you were entering this boat in the GGR?

The Southern Ocean and Cape Horn are going to be a whole lot less pleasant than Toronto in the weather. If I was doing something like the GGR, I would want to test my systems in as my environments as possible.

Toronto winter live aboard isn't bad. I enjoyed it.

gauravshinde 24-08-2019 08:15

Re: Which Yacht Club is Toronto
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake-Effect (Post 2961591)
We're members at LSYC and we have a few winter liveaboards, but it's not that close to downtown.

Most larger clubs have racing, and there's now some inter-club racing too.

Many area clubs have waiting lists, and initiation fees and debentures... You should start googling and make some calls.

LSYC was going to be one of my top options but they aren't accepting membership applications.

gauravshinde 24-08-2019 08:18

Re: Which Yacht Club is Toronto
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ungvar (Post 2961824)
I thought you were entering this boat in the GGR?

The Southern Ocean and Cape Horn are going to be a whole lot less pleasant than Toronto in the weather. If I was doing something like the GGR, I would want to test my systems in as my environments as possible.

Toronto winter liveaboard isn't bad. I enjoyed it.

I would happily stay on the boat, my wife wouldn't.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:49.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.