Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   What Do You Miss ? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/what-do-you-miss-22169.html)

JusDreaming 25-12-2008 08:15

What Do You Miss ?

We are on land at the house, and were talking about what we miss when we are on the boat. I thought "what an interesting question". So I pose the question: What do you miss the most when living aboard the boat?
For us we decided we miss, LONG HOT showers!!
Granted taking baths in crystal clear water off the back of boat is a pretty good replacement :D:D

cchesley 25-12-2008 09:31

When we moved aboard, we asked ourselves this question, "What do we miss most about being away from home and can we have that aboard? Answers for us were Good Coffee, Good Bed, and Nice Showers. We put a great mattress aboard, a capuccino machine aboard and can take wonderful, though admittedly not long hot showers even at anchor because of our hydronic heating system.

There was only one other thing... sitting by the fire. We're doing that this winter in a rented house but miss being on the boat, but like the fire, but miss....

JusDreaming 25-12-2008 09:33

I should included high pressure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandero 25-12-2008 09:36

Interesting questiuon because the worlds are so different but you are the same. I tend to accept the difference and not bitch about it. But it's easy to identify differences.

Doing laundry is so easy on land - go to the laundry and dump the clothes in the washer and then the drier.

Walking the dogs is a one step process without loading them on and off the dink and the inability for a quick unloading out the front door.

Frozen foods and things like ice cream. While some yachts are big enough to have a freezer etc. our's is not.

On land we use more clothes, living aboard in the tropics means a very basic wardrobe. That suits me fine.

I don't miss the winters on board in the tropics. But aboard in the north in the winter is not pleasant to say the least.

I miss internet access, but I intend to get an air card and bring a laptop. But right now I associate the net with being on land. My cell phone has some internet capabilities but this is not much.

On land I miss having less - what I have aboard. Less to clean, and care for and worry about. On land we accumulate "junk"... so I miss not being an accumulator. On board it has to be useful or it doesn't come aboard or stay for too long. YEA no clutter! Everything is put away and surfaces are clear!. Amazing what you can cook with a few pots.

I miss feeling the slightest changes in the weather. Ashore we are locked in our interior controlled climates and have to turn on a weather report to know what's happening. How weird is that?

I miss the quiet and absence of ambient noise of traffic and trains. Anchorages are usually pretty peaceful places even in a blow

Pelagic 25-12-2008 09:54

Absolutely nothing! Living on land is an encumbrance of desensitizing layers of social compliance and consumer addiction.

Living on board is as dynamic as the sea itself, provided you can keep yourself mobile

AnchorageGuy 25-12-2008 15:11

We have lived aboard for 17 years and have not lived on land except perhaps occasional hotels when traveling or staying at a relative or friends house briefly. We take long hot showers, with good pressure, actually better than in the house with water restrictors, and have all of the conveniences on board we had at home. So there is nothing to miss. If we want seasons we take the boat to where the seasons change. The peace of a great anchorage, the ability to change our scenery when ever we want without changing our home, the people we have met and places we have visited far out way any advantage to living on land. So for us there is really nothing to miss.

Tempest245 25-12-2008 15:43

Chuck,

Great Website...Great Vessel.

I hope it brings you many years of great adventures.

AnchorageGuy 25-12-2008 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest245 (Post 236950)
Chuck,

Great Website...Great Vessel.

I hope it brings you many years of great adventures.

Thanks the former one did just that and we are looking forward to it on the new one, If I ever get these projects done to a point we can get moving:)

Agur's Wish 25-12-2008 17:01

I miss long hot baths and okay, I'm gonna say it, I miss TV!

Sandero 25-12-2008 17:10

Hahahahaa, I miss TV too. The trouble with that is when I do watch it there is so little to interest me that I realize why I don't miss the TV that is there, but I do miss the possibility what TV could be (and is on rare occasion).

Ex-Calif 25-12-2008 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pelagic (Post 236890)
Absolutely nothing! Living on land is an encumbrance of desensitizing layers of social compliance and consumer addiction.

Living on board is as dynamic as the sea itself, provided you can keep yourself mobile

C'mon Pelagic. Tell us how you really feel :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agur's Wish (Post 236967)
I miss long hot baths and okay, I'm gonna say it, I miss TV!

It is amazing the amount of video swapping going on amongst cruisers. With youtube, itunes and dvds there is no reason not to have plenty of mind numbing stuff to watch.

I got Josh an itouch for Christmas and have been downloading "junk" ever since...

The second best boat mod we did was installing twin DVD players for the kids.

bruce in oz 26-12-2008 05:04

i miss not having an address.
census collectors miss me.
tax collectors miss me.
jehova witnesses miss me.
unwanted door knockers miss me.
junk mail misses me.
phone directories miss me.
politicians miss me.
and pizza delivery people always go to the wrong bloody boat ramp...

endoftheroad 26-12-2008 20:04

I miss not being able to stumble my way home after leaving the Green Parrot at 4 in the morning and having to take a mile and a half dinghy ride to the anchorage.
Other than that living aboard rocks.

btw, I long since quit drinking several years ago.:)

Stillraining 26-12-2008 20:13

I dont know what I miss or am missing yet.

Mexico Mike 26-12-2008 21:08

We don't miss much about living on dirt per se, but rather we miss our friends, family, and the little dog/surrogate kid. It really sucks that dogs are so discriminated against by countries in the South Pacific- it's the major drawback to this adventure.