Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Meets & Greets (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Greetings from North East Lake Ontario (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/greetings-from-north-east-lake-ontario-221119.html)

sgrimm 18-07-2019 09:30

Greetings from North East Lake Ontario

Hi all,

Been sailing for a number of years. Worked my way up from small dinghies (Laser, Albacore, Hobbie) into a MacGregor 26x and now a 1990 CS34. Also started being a crew member racing a 27 foot Laser keel boat once a week with some expert sailors that don't mind all my dumb questions.

It's been an amazing learning experience and have taken several Sail Canada courses and lots of online research on boat systems. I am continuing to learn and make mistakes.

Born and raised on the Pacific Ocean spending much of my time on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, mostly kayaks, my wife and myself are water people. We are now located in Cobourg, Ontario, and have spent time mostly east of here with our favourite destination being the Thousand Islands.

The summary digest email from this site intrigued me and can't believe I didn't use this earlier. Props to the people that run it!

Looking forward to learning and sharing the little bits I know with everyone here!

Shane
CS34 Foghorn Lullaby
FoghornLullaby.com

chris mac 18-07-2019 13:38

Re: Greetings from North East Lake Ontario

Welcome to the forum. I was born and raised in alberta. Chartered in Vancouver a couple times, including doing some course. And a week ago, we bought a boat on Lake Ontario. Whitby area.
There is a lot of wisdom here on Cf, you just sometimes need to ask the right question or sift through the answers:-)

GordMay 18-07-2019 13:47

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Shane.

AnglaisInHull 18-07-2019 14:05

Welcome from Collins Bay (Kingston). If you're headed to the Thousand Islands we should see you going by.

Drumroll30 24-07-2019 04:29

Hi from Prinyer's Cove (2 miles west of Upper Gap). We just bought a Saga 35, see you on the water!

Mike OReilly 24-07-2019 04:48

Welcome Shane, I spent three seasons based out of Belleville. The Thousand Islands and the Bay of Quinte were our playgrounds. Beautiful, gentle cruising grounds.

Pegu Club 24-07-2019 05:16

Welcome, I from Rochester, did a few of the club races out of the Pultneyville yacht club on a friends dads Bristol 32, was always good fun.

Fair winds,

Tetepare 24-07-2019 06:41

Welcome from across the lake- sodus bay.

Cobourg is fabulous what a great home port. And Drumroll is from Prinyers? Thatís one of my favorite anchorages though Iíve not been there in a long time.

sgrimm 25-07-2019 14:17

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

@chris_mac, great to hear you've been sailing in same areas as we have!

@AnglaisInHull, we will make sure to wave on our way by. We've been to Collins Bay a few times, last time was to hide from a storm. I posted my experience in Kingston here: CS34 Stuck in Kingston. You might get a laugh at it.

@Drumroll30, @Mike_OReilly will keep an eye out for you. Will probably see you out there there one day!

@Tetepare, one day we will be brave enough to cross Lake Ontario. It's on my list to do a night sail across one day!