Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Recording music on a boat? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/recording-music-on-a-boat-220783.html)

goeasy123 11-07-2019 05:34

Recording music on a boat?

Any recording musicians out there? What do you use to record your stuff on the boat?

Randal 11-07-2019 06:45

Re: Recording music on a boat?

I know Boothby showed all that on his Youtube channel at 1 time.

unbusted67 11-07-2019 06:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randal (Post 2928480)
I know Boothby showed all that on his Youtube channel at 1 time.

Tour manager and sound engineer here. Never done much tracking on a boat. Seems like a bit of a PITA.

GordMay 11-07-2019 08:17

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Randal.

Puddleduck 11-07-2019 11:57

Small midi keyboard, iPad software synths and cubase. Not a huge power draw and no need for noise cancelling!

goeasy123 11-07-2019 15:25

Puddleduck.... sounds like to know a thing.

I need 4 ins with 2 mic pres, run off 12vdc.... into Cubase on Win 10. Its need to run straight of the house batteries when tracking.... i.e. inverters, chargers turned off.

Any ideas?

Inkog 11-07-2019 16:05

I have an entire studio that I'd love to take aboard with me. Unfortunately, I quickly discovered that I can't afford the boat required to make that happen. Needless to say, salt air would quickly kill most music gear. Now I'm juggling what I can sell to get me in a better place to sail with some gear. I'm planning to take my DAW PC and expendable newish toys only. I've thoroughly sampled my best synths and drum machines ;)

unbusted67 12-07-2019 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Todd (Post 2928832)
Puddleduck.... sounds like to know a thing.

I need 4 ins with 2 mic pres, run off 12vdc.... into Cubase on Win 10. Its need to run straight of the house batteries when tracking.... i.e. inverters, chargers turned off.

Any ideas?

The way to go is a 12 volt power supply for your laptop. plugs right into a cigarette lighter plug and is silent, then just power your interface off of usb. Find out what voltage your ac brick is and then just adapt that to a 12 volt supply easy peezy.

goeasy123 13-07-2019 06:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by unbusted67 (Post 2929626)
The way to go is a 12 volt power supply for your laptop. plugs right into a cigarette lighter plug and is silent, then just power your interface off of usb. Find out what voltage your ac brick is and then just adapt that to a 12 volt supply easy peezy.

Yes... but what's the best i/f with 4 xlr's and mic pres that I can somehow run off the 12vdc house battery?

I'm not sure you can run 4 pres of USB... not enough current.

Puddleduck 13-07-2019 14:48

All really depends what you want to record and what your hoping to achieve? Solo or band? 1 live take or tracking, fully micíed up drum kit or acoustic guitar pickup and condenser mic?

Thereís always more than one way to skin a cat and sometimes getting creative because of limitations throws up different possibilities!

A quick search shows most usb powered ADCís only have 2 X ins (with 48v phantom power). Some of the portable usb interfaces have external battery pack power options (sold separately :whistling:) which would increase laptop battery life a bit. Donít see why you couldn't use 2 of these and configure them as separate input sources although not tried it myself.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steinberg-U...uments&sr=1-18

Lake-Effect 13-07-2019 15:03

The Joe Walsh album "But Seriously Folks" was demo'ed and rehearsed on a "70 ft 4-track", according to the album credits. The track "Theme from Boat Wierdos" was actually recorded aboard.

Quote:

... what's the best i/f with 4 xlr's and mic pres that I can somehow run off the 12vdc house battery?
You could go with TWO USB-powered audio interfaces with 2 mic pre's each...Googling turned up this beast with 4 mic ins and 12v power in.

Because a boat is a potentially harsh environment, you might consider film-grade gear. Something like a Zoom F4 and some field-worthy mics. Bonus income potential - you could work as an equipped freelance recordist for film/video work.

A boat itself isn't a reliable acoustic environment, but you can haul your gear ashore to a suitable spot (eg a small church) for tracking.

goeasy123 13-07-2019 15:39

Lake-Effect.... your link looks like a good bet. Focusrite have great pres for the price. The back says it runs of 12vdc semi sinusoidal. I'm wondering if that means it will run of a 12v battery.

Lake-Effect 13-07-2019 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Todd (Post 2930152)
The back says it runs of 12vdc semi sinusoidal. I'm wondering if that means it will run of a 12v battery.

As far as I can tell, it runs off of 12v DC, which means your boat battery is OK. I would check with Focusrite themself, or a knowledgable tech to confirm that it would be OK with up to 14.5v, which is the highest you might see when your boat battery is on the charger.

I tried to download the manual from Focusrite but their download page is a royal pain. Maybe you'll have better luck.

If Focusrite has a 4-in box, I'm sure other brands have them too.

PortClydeMe 13-07-2019 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Todd (Post 2928446)
Any recording musicians out there? What do you use to record your stuff on the boat?

Yup ... right here.

1) Macbook Pro 15" - fully loaded
2) Avid Pro Tools software
3) Pro audio interface
4) Good headphones
5) Neumann pro valve mic
6) Expensive preamp (I like Avalon)
7) Pro ref monitors (I like Yamaha)

Finished. Press record ....

unbusted67 13-07-2019 18:40

Yeah, just get a mic pre that runs off of 12volt dc. That focusrite would be fine if you don't mind crap sounding gear LOL. Don't mess around and get one of these.