Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Engines and Propulsion Systems (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Best brand of portable gas tanks (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/best-brand-of-portable-gas-tanks-220579.html)

keepondancin 06-07-2019 16:20

Best brand of portable gas tanks
 
Who has had good luck with the new portable fuel tanks, used in the dinghy. Bought one from West Marine last year, no vent, warning says it will swell in size. It is like a beach ball. Even after cooling down, all pressure released, it isn't even close to flat on the bottom anymore, so it just rolls back and forth. Looked at Moeller brand, it has what appears to be a venting cap. Sceptre has a a couple of designs, not sure if they vent or not. Today the sales person at WM said it was because I didn't buy the venting hose. Last year, they didn't have a venting hose.
This is all because of the low permeable plastic and house that is required, along with not being able to vent until internal pressure of 5psi. My good old style one appears to have terminal skin cancer, so it has to be replaced. Amazing what the sun is doing to everything, including us.

a64pilot 06-07-2019 17:01

Best brand of portable gas tanks
 
Itís the CARB compliant fuel caps, I gave mine away in the Bahamas due to the cap leaking incessantly, the can built pressure of course due to Californiaís requirement of it not venting then would leak fuel.
I got a non CARB compliant can in the Bahamas, unfortunately itís 6 gls and I want a 3 gl can.
Anyway you can buy a non compliant can on Amazon, but be careful as they sell the compliant ones too, here is one, old fashioned vent that wonít allow any pressure to build in the tank .
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SGV3J2...v_ov_lig_dp_it

a64pilot 06-07-2019 17:04

Re: Best brand of portable gas tanks
 
This one for example has the non venting California cap and will blow up like a ball in the sun
https://www.amazon.com/Scepter-08576...M8JNFXQAK7G04Q

john61ct 06-07-2019 23:49

Re: Best brand of portable gas tanks
 
Genuine NATO cans like German surplus

not cheap Chinese "equivalent"

belizesailor 07-07-2019 00:15

Re: Best brand of portable gas tanks
 
Passed thru the USA recently for the first time in a few years, owner of boat needed a few more jerry jugs, bought some of the current crop. What a load of rubbish those bureaucrat designed pour spouts are! Almost impossible to use. First thing we did was rip the guts out of them and just put a plug in the end.

Jammer 07-07-2019 07:33

Re: Best brand of portable gas tanks
 
For small outboards, I get the old 6 gallon metal OMC ones (1960-late 1970s), and repair them if necessary. Most of the parts are still available, and they far outperform the new ones. Though they long predate CARB, they are a pressurized design. They will not balloon up or leak, as long as the valves and cap are in good condition.



3 gallon ones also exist but they are hard to find.


For cans that pour rather than having a fuel line outlet, I use an Eagle Type I safety can. They are metal, and available in 1 to 5 gallon sizes. They are self closing and have a flame arrestor. They are CARB compliant and I believe you can buy them in all 50 states and internationally. Unlike the cheap CARB tanks, you release the cap by pulling on a handle, then pour the regular way. They come with a funnel. I find that they work very well for refuelling small outboards, and for topping up the 6 gallon tanks without removing them from the boat.

a64pilot 07-07-2019 07:42

Re: Best brand of portable gas tanks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by john61ct (Post 2925285)
Genuine NATO cans like German surplus

not cheap Chinese "equivalent"



Will rust like the Devil on a boat and leave a rust ring wherever they are placed, just like a steel propane bottle will.

thinwater 07-07-2019 07:45

Re: Best brand of portable gas tanks
 
Part of the problem is e10. It has greater vapor pressure than non-ethanol gas. That is why the sale of e10 in the summer was blocked in some areas (pre-Trump). The solution is to do something to keep the sun off the can. Otherwise, no matter the exact can design, old or new, it will build pressure. Put it under a seat. Make a cover. Paint it white. Anything.

Another problem can be pushing fuel into the carb. There are in-line demand valves (what the WM idiot though was a venting hose, I bet) or you can add a ball valve (better IMO).

It simply is not possible to create a sealed container that won't build up to 5-10 psi in the sun with e10 unless you use a venting cap. Physics and ethanol. And unless the container is sealed, it will evaporate and/or draw water from the air. Neither is good for the engine. With built-in tanks, silica gel vent filters are a great solution. With portable tanks. the options are limited.

rmlarson1098 07-07-2019 09:08

Re: Best brand of portable gas tanks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by keepondancin (Post 2925124)
Who has had good luck with the new portable fuel tanks, used in the dinghy. Bought one from West Marine last year, no vent, warning says it will swell in size. It is like a beach ball. Even after cooling down, all pressure released, it isn't even close to flat on the bottom anymore, so it just rolls back and forth. Looked at Moeller brand, it has what appears to be a venting cap. Sceptre has a a couple of designs, not sure if they vent or not. Today the sales person at WM said it was because I didn't buy the venting hose. Last year, they didn't have a venting hose.
This is all because of the low permeable plastic and house that is required, along with not being able to vent until internal pressure of 5psi. My good old style one appears to have terminal skin cancer, so it has to be replaced. Amazing what the sun is doing to everything, including us.

Rotopax. Nothing else like them. 2 and 4 gallon for gasoline, with same tough construction for water & diesel - just different colors. VERY durable! Discontinued the (blue) kerosene tanks which is too bad.
These portable tanks are expensive but worth every dime.

HopCar 07-07-2019 09:23

Re: Best brand of portable gas tanks
 
1 Attachment(s)
Wonít help with the plastic tanks but these fix the new plastic fuel cans. Even includes a capped vent you can install. You just canít pour fuel out of the new cans with no vents.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M9VTL88...f-c1ff0179d65b

a64pilot 07-07-2019 09:48

Re: Best brand of portable gas tanks
 
I have bought those vents and spouts.
Be advised you need a step drill to install the vents, a regular twist drill will deform the tank and not seal well, a step drill leaves a nice flat hole.
Youíll likely need a screwdriver placed into the vent and a little grease to get it to seat, itís a very tight fit.

However the spouts are junk, very thin and almost no flange and leak almost immediately.

If someone knows of a good spout it would be very appreciated.

Iím contemplating this thing, but itís a bunch of money Iíd rather not spend, but Iím getting tired of spilling fuel
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010GNM7H4...v_ov_lig_dp_it

rmlarson1098 07-07-2019 10:31

Re: Best brand of portable gas tanks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 2925545)
I have bought those vents and spouts.
Be advised you need a step drill to install the vents, a regular twist drill will deform the tank and not seal well, a step drill leaves a nice flat hole.
Youíll likely need a screwdriver placed into the vent and a little grease to get it to seat, itís a very tight fit.

However the spouts are junk, very thin and almost no flange and leak almost immediately.

If someone knows of a good spout it would be very appreciated.

Iím contemplating this thing, but itís a bunch of money Iíd rather not spend, but Iím getting tired of spilling fuel
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010GNM7H4...v_ov_lig_dp_it

While the 'Rotopax' portable tanks I mentioned previously are exceptional - and easily found on their flashy website - they are still made in the USA with all the 'safety' concerns that involves - like frustrating nozzles and such. But the containers themselves are excellent.

1affiah 07-07-2019 10:39

Re: Best brand of portable gas tanks
 
Take a look at these on Amazon:

VP Racing Fuels 3522 White Motorsport Jug - 5 Gallon Capacity
Click image to open expanded view
VP Racing Fuels 3522 White Motorsport Jug - 5 Gallon Capacity
by VP Racing Fuels
3.8 out of 5 stars 495 customer reviews | 94 answered questions
List Price: $32.95
Price: $30.79 Free Shipping for Prime Members
You Save: $2.16 (7%)

I've used these with a jiggle siphon with excellent results, will actually hold 6 gallons. This model is without a spout. The spout is about $7. more, includes clear hose, threaded connections so you can use inverted with a brass valve and add water to separate alcohol from fuel (if that is your bag)

thinwater 07-07-2019 10:46

Re: Best brand of portable gas tanks
 
I've been testing one of these. It's the bee's knees.


https://www.surecanusa.com/


Or at least so far it has proven spill proof (not a drip) and idiot proof. I'm not sure about pressurization in the sun (I have not left it in the sun), but When you pull the trigger there is an automatic vent. Can't say about long term durability; I've only had it 6 months, but no problems.


https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....HL._SX425_.jpg
I still have a collection of 5-gallon early model CARB cans, but I only use them with a shaker siphon.

jmschmidt 07-07-2019 12:02

Re: Best brand of portable gas tanks
 
I bought the same dinghy tank from West Marine, no cap vent and a warning. But I saved my old cap from the tank I threw away and it fits the new tank. The guy at West said most caps will fit and my old one had a vent screw.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:20.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.