Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/places-where-you-can-retire-on-200-000-and-feel-rich-219627.html)

GordMay 16-06-2019 04:50

Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich
 
“... Numerous countries across Central and South America, Europe and Asia boast not only lower living costs and great climates but also modern amenities and advanced medical care.
We've reviewed travel advisories and the very latest information on living costs, visa requirements and other factors to find 2019's best places for an affordable, safe retirement abroad.
Follow along as we count down our top picks: 15 nations around the globe where retirees might easily get by on savings of $200,000 -- or less...”
Ie Top 5:
5. Spain - 4. Portugal - 3. Uruguay - 2. Costa Rica - 1. Panama
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/20-pl...132424445.html

Interesting, if a bit 'fluffy'.

Suijin 16-06-2019 05:00

Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich
 
I would add The DR to that list. The travel advisories are a bit overblown. In the DR 2.7 million Americans visit as tourists each year and this year a few if them have died from apparently drinking from minibars at a couple or resorts. Not exactly a scourge of violence.

daletournier 16-06-2019 05:04

Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich
 
In my travels Ive found the world as a whole is getting more expensive.

Capetown was a great city and quite affordable.

GordMay 16-06-2019 05:28

Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suijin (Post 2909552)
I would add The DR to that list...

5 Great Reasons To Live, Retire, Or Invest In The Dominican Republic
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/retir...blic_b_7546694

Retire to the Dominican Republic
https://internationalliving.com/coun...ican-republic/

General visa requirements for the D.R.
https://www.expat.com/en/guide/centr...-republic.html

Woodland Hills 16-06-2019 05:38

Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich
 
Are you talking about retiring on $200k a year or on a $200k total nest egg?

GordMay 16-06-2019 05:40

Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodland Hills (Post 2909566)
Are you talking about retiring on $200k a year or on a $200k total nest egg?


Quote:

Originally Posted by GordMay (Post 2909549)
... 15 nations around the globe where retirees might easily get by on savings of $200,000 -- or less...”
Ie Top 5:
5. Spain - 4. Portugal - 3. Uruguay - 2. Costa Rica - 1. Panama
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/20-pl...132424445.html
Interesting, if a bit 'fluffy'.

Yahoo was talking about $200K nest egg (savings).

tkeithlu 16-06-2019 05:42

Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich
 
Carrabelle. 0.92% on cost of living relative to the nation, WAY below Florida. Easy access to the golf, a vibrant community of people with very little money. Useable building lot within walking distance of everything available for less than $15K. Mobile homes and RVs welcomed. Details if you want them.

GordMay 16-06-2019 06:00

Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich
 
For anyone seriously exploring their retirement options, our sister site, “Early Retirement”, might be a good resource.
Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

FireCalc is a simple, but powerful retirement calculator.
https://www.firecalc.com/

boatman61 16-06-2019 06:11

Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich
 
Goa.. :thumb:

SV Windrush II 16-06-2019 06:23

Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich
 
Come to the Philippines, food is cheap, beautiful anchorages, hook up to a mooring for about $200 per month or less, or just hang out for free on the hook. Puerto Princesa Palawan is a great place with great food and good moorage for about $100 per month and rarely Typhoons, but some hiding holes if necessary. Don't listen to negative from people who don't live here. There are good and bad places in every country, but Filipinos are very friendly to foreigners and hospitable.

There is also a marina that will be built soon in Lobo Batangas. It will be the largest full service marina in SE Asia. American designed.

Boatguy30 16-06-2019 06:36

Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich
 
Maybe get some US designed anchoring restrictions to go along with that new marina!

GordMay 16-06-2019 06:37

Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 2909580)
Goa.. :thumb:

For those with ties with India (Phil?), retirement to the subcontinent is a relatively simple endeavor; for everyone else, there are significant administrative obstacles. Unlike some countries that welcome foreign retirees, however, India has erected barriers that make it difficult (though not impossible) for many foreigners to relocate there during their retirement years. Unless you are of Indian origin, you will only get tourist visas.
No matter what anyone or any agency tells you, there is nothing called a 'retirement' visa. You cannot legally own property in India, if you are a foreigner.

SailOar 16-06-2019 06:40

Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich
 
For those who want to stay in the US (you know, cheap healthcare, little gun violence, peaceful politics :rolleyes:), this article has suggestions -- two of which are coastal and might therefore appeal to liveaboards.

4 U.S. Cities Where You Can Live on Social Security Benefits Alone

boatman61 16-06-2019 07:20

Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordMay (Post 2909587)
For those with ties with India (Phil?), retirement to the subcontinent is a relatively simple endeavor; for everyone else, there are significant administrative obstacles. Unlike some countries that welcome foreign retirees, however, India has erected barriers that make it difficult (though not impossible) for many foreigners to relocate there during their retirement years. Unless you are of Indian origin, you will only get tourist visas.
No matter what anyone or any agency tells you, there is nothing called a 'retirement' visa. You cannot legally own property in India, if you are a foreigner.

You cannot own outright, you have to share the property on a 51/49% basis with an Indian being the main shareholder.. Dodgey as a friend of mine found out.

KTP 16-06-2019 07:29

Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkeithlu (Post 2909570)
Carrabelle. 0.92% on cost of living relative to the nation, WAY below Florida. Easy access to the golf, a vibrant community of people with very little money. Useable building lot within walking distance of everything available for less than $15K. Mobile homes and RVs welcomed. Details if you want them.

We rented a house on a lake in Carrabelle, FL and it was quite nice. We sailed our little 17 foot Montgomery out to St. Georges Island a few times, fished, and generally were lazy every day. I think the rental was $900 a month....for a house on a lake!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:59.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.