Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Self Defense aboard (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/self-defense-aboard-216064.html)

Dave22q 28-03-2019 10:43

Self Defense aboard

It seems clear that having a firearm aboard is a major no-no in most of the places I would like to visit. However, the prevalence of crime in some locations seems to call for some means of defense. I'm interested in anybody's experience using non-lethal measures such as tasers, high powered strobe lights, etc. What seems to work best?

s/v Jedi 28-03-2019 10:52

Re: Self Defense aboard

Not sure of the places you wish to visit but here in the Caribe only Mexico is a problem.

Point is, when you don't need a firearm then you probably need nothing because it's just a kid trying to grab some flippers off your deck. Violent criminals tend not to be impressed by tasers etc. as they just shoot you in the head... or the knee if they want you to tell them pin codes first, watch what they do with your family etc.

Stay away from places where you feel you would need a gun. Then still carry a cheapish shotgun just in case.

GordMay 28-03-2019 10:57

Quote:

... What seems to work best?
I don't expect you'll find many who have actually experienced using any means of self defense.

gmakhs 28-03-2019 11:26

The best self defense is too have nothing valuable on board plus not a fancy boat , looking poor is a good way to avoid robbery.

sailorboy1 28-03-2019 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave22q (Post 2857874)
I'm interested in anybody's experience using non-lethal measures such as tasers, high powered strobe lights, etc. What seems to work best?

thus far the most effective non-lethal measure has been my wife yelling at them "Hey get off our boat!!!"

when that doesn't work a 4' short spear, of a Jedi lightsaber works well

denverd0n 29-03-2019 05:43

Be aware that in some countries tasers and mace are considered "weapons" and are just as illegal as having a firearm. Don't assume that just because it is non-lethal, it must be legal.

a64pilot 29-03-2019 08:03

Self Defense aboard

Apparently in Canada mace will get you put under the jail.
However they think it logical and intelligent if your traveling the NorthWest Territories to be armed with a powerful rifle or shotgun.
Of course those are entirely different things, and they realize it.

Point being is you have to be cognizant of what is and what isnít considered reasonable and prudent to have, in a particular situation.

Adelie 29-03-2019 08:14

Thatís a pretty heavy penalty. Most places put you in the jail.

boom23 29-03-2019 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adelie (Post 2858606)
That’s a pretty heavy penalty. Most places put you in the jail.

Ha, Ha! That is funny! It is good to wake up with a joke.

Back to the topic, mace & Bear pepper spray are illegal in New Zealand also. You need to check every country's requirements before you go. You might have to surrender any protection items you have during check-in. Some places let you claim back what you surrendered at check-out, as long as you declared them during check-in.

Some people have suggested using Wasp Spray for self defense. Axes or meschede knives (for wood cutting) can be legal.

Another thing you have to consider is that in many countries, hurting someone, while defending yourself or your family, can be illegal and can put you in jail.

Pete17C 29-03-2019 08:42

Wasp spray and a lighter might be more effective.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qGtwTmEGxWU/hqdefault.jpg

jmorrison146 29-03-2019 08:43

A spear fishing gun is usually considered fishing gear but it would ruin an intruder's weekend.

boatman61 29-03-2019 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete17C (Post 2858624)
Wasp spray and a lighter might be more effective.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qGtwTmEGxWU/hqdefault.jpg

Hope theyre polite enough to wait while you dig around for them.. :biggrin:

Hardhead 29-03-2019 08:59

A 2 handed fish gaff - with a nice big barb on the hook - can be visually interesting if it's waved around in a jerky motion. Adding a crazy look in your eye and also babbling incoherently about your imaginary dog being an alien can also have an effect. Be careful though.

GordMay 29-03-2019 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 2858633)
Hope theyre polite enough to wait while you dig around for them.. :biggrin:

I store mine, safely locked up, in my gun safe.

mako 29-03-2019 09:25

What ever happened to that guy on here who wanted to carry a flamethrower?

Seriously, you can "arm" your boat with numerous items that can be used as a weapon... short steel bars, knives, baseball bats, flare gun, a hardwood chair, rolled up magazine, etc etc etc. I doubt any of these items (except the spear gun, in the Maldives) would be given a second thought by local authorities.

You might consider seeking out some specialized self defense classes.

PS - a small fist-sized rock helped me out immensely once.