Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Active cruisers. Do you have a printer on board (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/active-cruisers-do-you-have-a-printer-on-board-215118.html)

Cpt Mark 08-03-2019 19:28

Active cruisers. Do you have a printer on board

Hi all,

There has been an interesting discussion about having a printer on board, their issues and needs.

I'd like to hear from the currently active cruising fleet. Currently active being now and say the past 10 years or so. During your cruising time wifi, email and other forms of electronic transmission of information should have been readily available. This is not to offend former cruisers but I'm trying to understand what the situation is like now.

1. Do you have a printer on board

2. Is it necessary, highly convenient, convenient, or a constant source of irritation

3. If you don't have a printer on board, how do you deal with the copies of paperwork each country may or may not require

4. Is it possible to email the copies to port authorities, anywhere, everywhere

5. Any other thoughts you'd care to share

Thank you for your input

Jim Cate 08-03-2019 19:46

Re: Active cruisers. Do you have a printer on board

Yes, we have a now elderly HP all-in-one type. About 10 years of age, maybe a bit more. We find it very useful at times, but since it lives in a cabinet and requires wiring up for each use, it isn't used as much as one always at the ready. It has been surprisingly durable. Only on the second cartridge for both color and BW. We do refills for routine ink supply... a bit messy, but one can do it in remote anchorages where no supplies are available (refill kits last a long time).

One use that we enjoy is printing our own boat cards on photo paper. Can change the design to suit circumstances, cost is minimal and we hand them out kinda carelessly!

Jim

Cpt Mark 08-03-2019 20:04

0ne follow up question, Laser or ink jet

Jim Cate 08-03-2019 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpt Mark (Post 2843616)
0ne follow up question, Laser or ink jet

Ink jet.

Jim

Lepke 08-03-2019 20:32

I have an Epson workforce 1100 ink jet I use to print out chart sections. The only problem I've had is the ink cartridges going dry too soon.

The humidity in my boat is lower than most boats, and that probably helps the lifespan.

AiniA 08-03-2019 20:35

We had an inkjet but found we rarely needed to print something. Shops that do copies cheap are very common for things like crew lists.

Kenomac 08-03-2019 21:49

Yes, we have a small portable unit. Gets used only a couple of times per season.

daletournier 08-03-2019 22:32

I have one, dosent get used often, ink drying up is an issue. Not hard to get photo copies of stuff nearly everywhere.

This is my second printer, probably wouldn't buy another.

belizesailor 09-03-2019 05:22

Might be useful to set this up as a survey too.

conachair 09-03-2019 05:29

Small cheap one onboard, gets used now and again. Handy for refit for drawing up stuff on cad at 1:1 then using the printout as a template for marking out holes etc.

Nariel 09-03-2019 05:42

We have one that has come in handy for cruising needs. However, our decision was based in my needing the printer for my business. If it were purely for cruising needs, I think something smaller and simpler would be the ideal.

sailorboy1 09-03-2019 05:47

I have an ink jet printer. It comes in hardy a couple times a year as some things just need to have a hard copy of.

meirriba 09-03-2019 09:55

HP 3755 inkjet.
Very happy with it.
Also copies and scans.

Mikado 09-03-2019 10:21

Yes, HP 3755 color Bluetooth ink jet printer, scanner, copier. $79 on Amazon. I use it at least once a week. Printing crew lists etc on board is extremely convenient.

The OP addressed the question to active cruisers so Iím guessing that he wasnít considering having an Office Depot available every time he needs a copy ?

tarian 09-03-2019 10:22

A portable inkjet printer for those pesky forms that need 5 copies , but in essence if you are proactive , take copies of everything, before you set off and not just 2 copies but many!