Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Clothing suitable for liveaboards (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/clothing-suitable-for-liveaboards-213512.html)

wryanddry 03-02-2019 17:24

Clothing suitable for liveaboards
 
Our family lived aboard in the Med for a year. We found the best clothing to be hiking/outdoor specialist clothing, dries quick and doesn't crease easy or get stinky. Only problem is the clothes are either plain - not much fun, or aligned to a sport other than sailing eg. PFG brand is Performance Fishing Gear. Plus this stuff is mainly available via brands like North Face, Columbia & Arcteryx etc and come with hefty price tags. Any cheaper fun sailing themed shirts we found were cotton which doesn't do well for living aboard, it creases, dries so slowly and gets stinky easy. We are planning another year aboard and prepping for it currently.

Anyone found any sailing themed fun clothing at a reasonable price point not made from cheap tourist tee shirt material (like all the ones on Etsy)?

ohdrinkboy 03-02-2019 17:38

Re: Clothing suitable for liveaboards
 
https://www.hanes.com/shop/hanes/han...-t-shirt-h4820

boatman61 03-02-2019 17:39

Re: Clothing suitable for liveaboards
 
1 Attachment(s)
I just wear normal clothes.. not into the "Look what I do" trendy crap..
But then.. I wear boots and long trousers in the Caribe.. :biggrin:

ohgary 03-02-2019 19:03

Re: Clothing suitable for liveaboards
 
https://a6.typepad.com/6a015432a7a5a1...dd542ae970d-pi

belizesailor 03-02-2019 19:54

Re: Clothing suitable for liveaboards
 
"Themed Clothing"? 🤣 You mean mis-matched, sun faded, oil stained, with random holes & tears is not a theme? Its all the fashion rage amonst the cruisers I know. Must be a more trendy crowd in the Med...damn Im supposed to sail there in a few months...guess I need a new wardrobe......nah.

Here in Central America, last season's line of all those trendy clothes end up in "Ropa Americana" stores where they can be had for a few dollars an item. Sail on down and stock up!

cj88 03-02-2019 22:45

Re: Clothing suitable for liveaboards
 
Good quality NZ merino wool is not itchy or scratchy, it has good moisture wicking and temperature regulating properties so it works in hot and cold climates, doesn't need ironing and its anti-microbial properties reduce the need for regular washing. I have short and long sleeve tees and hoodies in it and it's great. The downside can be the price but it wears well and lasts so not cheap but good value.

Hoosierdoc 03-02-2019 23:01

Re: Clothing suitable for liveaboards
 
The “koofin” brand on amazon is decent and UV rated

LoudMusic 03-02-2019 23:30

Re: Clothing suitable for liveaboards
 
"Clothing suitable for liveaboards" !?!?

All this time I thought it was "Clothing optional for liveaboards"!

valhalla360 04-02-2019 00:51

Re: Clothing suitable for liveaboards
 
Another vote for...just wear normal clothes...never had a big issue getting them to dry and no one complained about being stinky.

a64pilot 04-02-2019 07:21

Re: Clothing suitable for liveaboards
 
We love cotton, do not like “Plastic” clothes. We don’t have any issue at all, but we wash ours before it begins to smell. Yes cotton wrinkles, but so what?
Colder weather Merino wool is excellent, I wore it under my dry suit cave diving, but it’s not cheap like cotton either.

boatman61 04-02-2019 07:33

Re: Clothing suitable for liveaboards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 2817967)
We love cotton, do not like “Plastic” clothes. We don’t have any issue at all, but we wash ours before it begins to smell. Yes cotton wrinkles, but so what?
Colder weather Merino wool is excellent, I wore it under my dry suit cave diving, but it’s not cheap like cotton either.

Cold weather its my Sheepskin Flying Jacket.. Bikes and Boats.. Toasty.. :thumb:
The one in the Pic is my Spring and Autumn cut off Sheepskin.. :biggrin:

kas_1611 04-02-2019 09:28

Re: Clothing suitable for liveaboards
 
Try Mountain Warehouse in UK and Decathlon across EU. Both have great range of inexpensive sports gear and Decathlon do an extensive sailing range too

captlloyd 04-02-2019 09:34

Re: Clothing suitable for liveaboards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by belizesailor (Post 2817771)
"Themed Clothing"? 🤣 You mean mis-matched, sun faded, oil stained, with random holes & tears is not a theme? Its all the fashion rage amonst the cruisers I know. Must be a more trendy crowd in the Med...damn Im supposed to sail there in a few months...guess I need a new wardrobe......nah.

Here in Central America, last season's line of all those trendy clothes end up in "Ropa Americana" stores where they can be had for a few dollars an item. Sail on down and stock up!

Well ! I am assuming you don’t wear any “ Yachty” things ! Me neither. :popcorn:

Ida_Lewis 04-02-2019 09:44

Re: Clothing suitable for liveaboards
 
I like these shirts:
https://ablyapparel.com

And these: https://www.columbia.com/women-tops-fishing/

tarian 04-02-2019 09:46

Re: Clothing suitable for liveaboards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kas_1611 (Post 2818053)
Try Mountain Warehouse in UK and Decathlon across EU. Both have great range of inexpensive sports gear and Decathlon do an extensive sailing range too

+1 you will find Decathlon stuff great and inexpensive , aslo theirs is Craghoppers, which again is good quality
most of my outdoor gear and sailing , especially for the children comes from decathlon now,
Most outdoor gear give you 40 UV protection and all the clothing is synthetics getting away from cotton, also the jackets and rain gear is waterproof


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:15.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.