Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Cruising News & Events (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   What are Good Boat shows to Attend? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f106/what-are-good-boat-shows-to-attend-210599.html)

Ponzoa 27-11-2018 04:51

Re: What are Good Boat shows to Attend?
 
Last time I went to Boot Dusseldorf, it took me more than 2 whole days to see everything. It's that big and full of exhibitors.

stnick 27-11-2018 06:59

Re: What are Good Boat shows to Attend?
 
I live in Tampa bay The saint Petersburg boat show sure is not worth traveling to ! if you live next door its ok but more of a power bat show ! but Annapolis and Miami are the real deal . True every year they are getting smaller each year !

Alita49DS 28-11-2018 16:40

Re: What are Good Boat shows to Attend?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponzoa (Post 2769804)
The best and most complete I've seen is BOOT DÜSSELDORF in Germany - usually in January.

Agree entirely.

What I find amusing is that the person who posted the question is obviously so US centric that he did not even bother to point out where he was or which continent he was prepared to look at!

NakedCity 28-11-2018 16:59

Re: What are Good Boat shows to Attend?
 
In the eastern United States the Annapolis Show is the ONLY worthwhile sailboat show, been going since 1980.

In 2017 I went to 3 shows. Miami sucks, St Pete sucks, Annapolis nice.

Plan to go on Thursday opening and keep going back till you're done,

Spartyman 09-12-2018 18:16

Re: What are Good Boat shows to Attend?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Oslo (Post 2770023)
Boat Dusseldorf is the place to go:


It's just great for boats and equipment - but fix a few appointments can be an advantage depending upon how serious you are.

Good luck and enjoy!

That's a cool idea, we fly free with military flights and it's always easy to grab a flight to Germany!

Spartyman 09-12-2018 18:18

Re: What are Good Boat shows to Attend?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alita49DS (Post 2771000)
Agree entirely.

What I find amusing is that the person who posted the question is obviously so US centric that he did not even bother to point out where he was or which continent he was prepared to look at!

We are from Michigan, but don't let that stop you from providing advice!

Scout 30 10-12-2018 09:55

Re: What are Good Boat shows to Attend?
 
We went to the St Pete Boat Show a couple of weeks ago. Tons of people but less vendors & less cruisers but if you're interested in fast powerboats powered by outboards there's sure a ton of them. If you're obsessed with boats like I am there are still interesting things to see but nothing like the old days.

SV Siren 11-12-2018 06:21

Re: What are Good Boat shows to Attend?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartyman (Post 2778199)
We are from Michigan, but don't let that stop you from providing advice!

Also Michigan peeps. Chicago has really gone downhill since they joined with the RV and powerboat show. Many of the seminars do not provide any more info than what you can find online. There are a few useful seminars, and a few that are good solely for the fact that Mac racers can go and get their boxes checked for pre-race classes. Otherwise talking to venders can be good, but even the venders are down in the number that are in attendance. Annapolis is "the" place to go to in North America for a sailing related boat show. Boot Dusseldorf is mind blowing in the size of it. I was in heaven for the time I spent there.

sailjumanji 11-12-2018 06:43

Re: What are Good Boat shows to Attend?
 
In 2018, we attended Miami Boat Show and Annapolis Sailboat Show. At Miami, we contracted for a catamaran purchase (new build, Seawind 1160 Lite, that is currently about a week away of shipping from factory in Vietnam). Went to Annapolis show mostly just for fun, but also finalize some electronics decisions. I actually thought the Miami Boat Show had larger vendor spaces, and B&G, Dometic, Raymarine, etc. had extensive displays. Annapolis had more boats. If I was new boat shopping in the US, hands-down its the Annapolis show.

ShellBack89 11-12-2018 07:13

Re: What are Good Boat shows to Attend?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NakedCity (Post 2771010)
In the eastern United States the Annapolis Show is the ONLY worthwhile sailboat show.

Plan to go on Thursday opening and keep going back till you're done,

Agreed :thumb: We’ve have 2 years before we buy and 3 1/2 until we cruise. We’re going in 2019 to window shop. See what we like and dislike.

The following year some window shopping but more seminars and vendors.

The last year before we leave to cruise will be focused seminars; diesel mechanics, cruising a specific area, etc. plus getting show deals on products.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailjumanji (Post 2779235)
I actually thought the Miami Boat Show had larger vendor spaces, and B&G, Dometic, Raymarine, etc. had extensive displays.

Good to know plus who wouldn’t want a short trip to FL?

WSMFP 11-12-2018 07:21

Re: What are Good Boat shows to Attend?
 
I've been to Myjami, Fort Lauderdale and Saint Pete many times. Last year we flew up to Annapolis. The best thing about Annapolis is the general atmosphere and the surrounding town. You can exit the show, do some cheap oyster shooters, get some reasonably priced lunch and go back in.

Spartyman 17-12-2018 17:29

Re: What are Good Boat shows to Attend?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SV Siren (Post 2779219)
Also Michigan peeps. Chicago has really gone downhill since they joined with the RV and powerboat show. Many of the seminars do not provide any more info than what you can find online. There are a few useful seminars, and a few that are good solely for the fact that Mac racers can go and get their boxes checked for pre-race classes. Otherwise talking to venders can be good, but even the venders are down in the number that are in attendance. Annapolis is "the" place to go to in North America for a sailing related boat show. Boot Dusseldorf is mind blowing in the size of it. I was in heaven for the time I spent there.

Thank you SV, looking forward to seeing the Annapolis and Boot shows!

Lost Horizons 17-12-2018 20:03

Re: What are Good Boat shows to Attend?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartyman (Post 2769256)
What do you think about the Chicago boat show?

Mostly powerboats. Severely overcrowded - I was there on a Saturday. The most compelling reason to go there, it is a day trip from SW Michigan. If you are planning to order a “mass production” boat, the prices/discounts will be a little better then at the Annapolis boat show later in the year. You can also get decent prices on accessories/collateral products. For example, I remember they were selling Airis high pressure inflatable kayak for much less then I paid for mine online.

Nelsons 30-12-2018 03:26

Re: What are Good Boat shows to Attend?
 
Düsseldorf is Worlds No 1 as you can get everything there. It’s perfect for liveaboards. But to purchase a new vessel it has his limits as it is very crowded and requires appointments to see a vessel which is a very good idea.

For in water shows I prefer in water shows like Amsterdam, La Grande Motte (cats only) and Cannes is developing nicely.

SVJOCO 08-01-2019 17:17

Re: What are Good Boat shows to Attend?
 
Hi All,
We are planning on attending the Annapolis Sailboat show this year for the first time- we are in the market for a good used sailboat 36-42ft, roughly 100K CAD, capable of ocean crossings. Does anyone have any idea on the ratio of used boats vs new usually available for sale at the show (ie in past years), or is it mainly new production boats? We're coming from Western Canada and plan to stay about a week in the Annapolis area.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:34.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.