Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Multihull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Where and how to haul a 31' beam trimaran for maintenance (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/where-and-how-to-haul-a-31-beam-trimaran-for-maintenance-210474.html)

birdsey 23-11-2018 01:48

Where and how to haul a 31' beam trimaran for maintenance

Hello, I am considering getting a trimaran with a 31' beam and need some places that can haul her for routine maintenance. Preferably a do it yourself marina.
I know of Greene Marine in Yarmouth and have heard of Bob and Annie's on Pine Island FL

31' rules out most travel lifts but a marine railway or hydralic trailer would also work OR.........

I desperately need help from someone familiar with hauling very wide beam Trimarans or Catamarans!

Thanks,
Garth

Dan GB 23-11-2018 02:03

Re: Where and how to haul a 31' beam trimaran for maintenance

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdsey (Post 2767185)
Hello, I am considering getting a trimaran with a 31' beam and need some places that can haul her for routine maintenance. Preferably a do it yourself marina.
I know of Greene Marine in Yarmouth and have heard of Bob and Annie's on Pine Island FL

31' rules out most travel lifts but a marine railway or hydralic trailer would also work OR.........

I desperately need help from someone familiar with hauling very wide beam Trimarans or Catamarans!

Thanks,
Garth

Mine is 28' beam. Hauled her in Freeport Bahamas at Bradford Marine. Couple of places in Fort Lauderdale as well, but more complicated and expensive to do the work.

smj 23-11-2018 06:00

Bob and Annies no longer have a railway so they couldn’t handle your beam.

birdsey 23-11-2018 06:16

Bummer, I was really hoping Bob and Annie's could but I haven't called them!

Do you know if it would be possible to hire a crane and have it lifted onto their facility?

I looked on Google earth and see a huge cat or tri in the yard above what looks like an old railway. I might give them a call anyway and see what they say.

smj 23-11-2018 06:23

Catamaran Boatyard in Key Largo has plans to install a 40’ wide elevator at some point in time.

birdsey 23-11-2018 06:31

That would be great! Thanks for that info!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by smj (Post 2767256)
Catamaran Boatyard in Key Largo has plans to install a 40’ wide elevator at some point in time.

Training Wheels 23-11-2018 06:56

Are you sure it’s 31’ wide? The specs say 27’.

clockwork orange 23-11-2018 07:54

Most marinas should be able to bring in a crane to lift you out of the water and should be able to move you around in the yard on one of their yard trailers, a tri should be easier than a cat. At the marina where i work the lift maxes out at around 17ft but we haul two cats 20 and 24ft wide by strapping a couple of I beams across the Brownell hydraulic trailer and haul them at the Municipal ramp, we also bring in a crane for a couple of masts that our jib crane can't handle. It is going to cost more than just using the travelift but anythings doable as long as the yard is willing and there is something in it for them. What is the Tri ?

Steve.

clockwork orange 23-11-2018 08:02

I dont know what the tri is but if it were me i would build my own yard trailer and find a yard with a ramp as a home base, for work anyway. This is not going to be a one time situation during your ownership. I love trailers and they don't have to be an expensive proposition if they don't need to be street legal and can save you a ton of $$ over your time of owning the boat. I have about 1k into my trailer for my Gemini cat.

Steve.

akprb 23-11-2018 09:07

Bradford’s is great. The crane idea as well. We have lifting eyes on our 50.

Lauderdale Marine Center (expensive).

You’ll find options ;-)

Paul Howard 23-11-2018 09:12

Try Jaynes Marine, (jaynesmarine.com), in White Stone, Va., Cockerel Creek, on the Chesapeake Bay.
They have a hydraulic trailer.

smj 23-11-2018 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Howard (Post 2767361)
Try Jaynes Marine, (jaynesmarine.com), in White Stone, Va., Cockerel Creek, on the Chesapeake Bay.
They have a hydraulic trailer.

Is he back in business?

birdsey 23-11-2018 11:32

Yes, they are home built using Roger Simpsons plans and the builder of the Tri I am looking at modified it to 31' beam and worked with Mr Simpson when doing it. I had it measured and verified, yep, 31'!

birdsey 23-11-2018 11:37

Thanks Paul, I just shot them an email.

birdsey 23-11-2018 11:40

Wow, I am a trailer guy too and I never even thought of that! I actually already have a sailboat trailer that would work by just slight modifications!