Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Boats For Sale and Wanted (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f152/)
-   -   Want To Buy: Looking for owner finance please (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f152/looking-for-owner-finance-please-209829.html)

Treyolsen 06-11-2018 23:11

Looking for owner finance please

I am in Port Aransas and am interested in finding a decent used 28 to 35 ft sailboat owner finance. I am looking in the Kemah area or Texas coast area. I am willing to make up to $300/month payments or will trade honest hard work for a boat. I am currently the owner of a Skipper 20 and have plans of sailing to Florida in pursuit of My dream of living aboard a boat writing my poetry but am willing to live in Kemah area until boat is paid for. Project boat is just fine. Please pm me here if you have any advise as to how I may find a deal. Thanks most kindly and may GOD Bless you each!
Treyolsen

rancher44 07-11-2018 10:22

Re: Looking for owner finance please

Nice dream . But the reality is more of a night mare.
Most people will not finance a boat that is any type of condition .

And a project boat will usually cost more than the boat.
Be very careful.
My suggestion is save your money and buy a good 30-34 catalina or hunter
and then do some coastal sailing . You can pick up a good older boat in pretty good condition or a round 20k

hellosailor 07-11-2018 15:02

Start a Gofundme campaign, you'll have more luck.

S/V Illusion 07-11-2018 15:53

I'd be interested to hear from those eager to finance a poet.

mjscottinnc 07-11-2018 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by S/V Illusion (Post 2757304)

Posting a sample or two might garner more serious consideration. Something like 'There once was a man from...' well you get the idea.

Allied39 07-11-2018 17:39

There once was a man from port aransas
Who longed for the flap of canvas,
In hope of a boat he wrote a post,
Of being a poet he did boast,
But I am not sure of his chances

I am a poet and did'nt even know it.

Best of luck.

J.Kitchens 07-11-2018 19:57

Why not stick with the Skipper 20? I bet doing so would give you some great ideas for poems.

No. You know what. Give me the 20 footer and I'll write some excellent poems.

Mazu 08-11-2018 09:20

what kind of down payment do you have? Send me a message

Mithril Bham 08-11-2018 09:41

If you are willing to work hard then sell your boat. Look carefully for a viable project boat which you can find for nearly nothing. Fix it up. Sell it. Find another one. You get it. Very hard work and easy to get burnt.
I hate to spoil anyone's dream. You might find an angel but the chances are you will jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Deep Blue Water 08-11-2018 09:42

Ok, I have to ask the obvious question - why not go to your bank and apply for a standard loan? I'm assuming, since you're already boating, that your poetry is providing a steady stream of income or else you wouldn't be looking at upgrading.

On the downside, when you miss your first payment on the owner financed boat, will you have your prior boat to fall back on?

winschwab 08-11-2018 09:50

Do you have home construction experience?

canyonbat 08-11-2018 10:48

Despite the skepticism of most of us here, I suspect it might be easier than we think to find someone desperate enough to sell their boat to consider this. Just look at all of the boats offered up for free, not that they are bargains. The downside for the seller would be the buyer not paying off what is owed. Keeping the title until the boat is fully paid for is not really a good idea as the collateral is mobile and the boat could easily be abandoned somewhere leaving the original owner on the hook. So, as seller, consider the down payment as your proceeds and any subsequent payments as gravy.

If you cannot find such a seller, consider checking with marinas for free boats that you can work on yourself.

rancher44 08-11-2018 11:22

I have a 28ft lancer for 3k

Contact me if interested

mjscottinnc 08-11-2018 11:31

Now that I think of it, I've got a 1978 Pearson 28 for 4k I could part with under the right circumstances.

Cadence 08-11-2018 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by S/V Illusion (Post 2757304)

Only if his last name is Poe. Of all things a poet and a boat might be the least financeable combination.

thruska 08-11-2018 14:55

Pm me with your phone and email address .

Lots of bull schitters here in their armchairs. Im familiar with scammers and dreamers.
Your skills will be scrutinized and your integrity likewise.
Just went thru this with an ex navy person whom had trouble committing to two weekends in a row from Mobile, tiller , curtains, and engine manual yet to be returned...
Prove us wrong and we’ll be friends... if you have epoxy and mechanical background.
Resume ‘ perchance ? Credit score ����
Anxiously awaiting....
Be prepared to sign a contract and adhere to it !

sailorboy1 08-11-2018 15:00

so many sharks swimming around the new posts section

thruska 08-11-2018 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailorboy1 (Post 2757957)
so many sharks swimming around the new posts section

Yeah , god forbid anyone with a dream !

Midterm blues ?

thruska 08-11-2018 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjscottinnc (Post 2757822)
Now that I think of it, I've got a 1978 Pearson 28 for 4k I could part with under the right circumstances.

Did it survive the surge? Or trying to unload?
Just asking...

Otia 09-11-2018 06:50

I'd say look in boat yards for abandonned boats. The yard might give it to you just to get rid of it. Also many give away their boats or sell for very little. The population is aging, people die, heirs don't know what to do with the boats and don't want to pay for yard fees...

Hunter_25 09-11-2018 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjscottinnc (Post 2757822)

You said "Now that I think of it"... haha, nice. Do you have so many that you forgot about one? I wonder who on the site owns the most and has a virtual boatyard on their property. :biggrin:

mjscottinnc 09-11-2018 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by thruska (Post 2758130)
Did it survive the surge? Or trying to unload?
Just asking...

I pulled the Pearson 28 out of the water in November 2017 before I left of the Bahamas and it was on the hard when Florence visited. At my marina all the boats in the fixed slips, like my Pearson 323, had virtually no damage. About 4 foot of water got into the yard and all the low blocked boats floated off their stands. The P28 was high and dry (she draws 5 foot) and she never left her stands and nothing floated into her.

She is still a very solid coastal cruiser.

mjscottinnc 09-11-2018 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter_25 (Post 2758296)
You said "Now that I think of it"... haha, nice. Do you have so many that you forgot about one? I wonder who on the site owns the most and has a virtual boatyard on their property. :biggrin:

I purchase abandoned and abused Pearson sailboat which are on the edge of death, I rebuild and refurbish them, bring them back to life so to speak. Sometimes I find a diamond in the rough, like my P323 and keep it. If you love sailing it's hard to see a good boat die as so many do these days.

Its what I like to do in my spare time. BTW, I have no boats at the house.

thruska 10-11-2018 02:30

To OP
Looks like you hv at least 3 potential offers.
CT, NC, and AL
You havent come back on the thread with any comments.
Im in your back yard less than 800 miles by gps checking.
Sent a pm but no reply
Are you absolutely serious or pulling our legs?
Our columbia is named Seafever, after porm by Masefield. Are you familiar with it ??
Somewhat anxious for reply... less anxious everyday without one , hahahaha
And just now received a reply from Treyolsen !!!
Thank you !

Treyolsen 10-11-2018 21:03

We've been rebuilding Port Aransas for the past 15 or so months after being hit by hurricane Harvey. Yes I have quite the construction/carpentry skills! Thanks for your reply to my post. May you have a Blessed evening.

Treyolsen 10-11-2018 21:38

I try very hard to respond to each post however I am totally new to this forum thing but promise much better performance as I learn. I am very serious about sailing and my dream of a live aboard small enough for single hand sailing. My Skipper 20 is just a bit to small. However my budget only allows about $300 to $400/month. I know that's not much to many people but that's "My" comfort zone. Thank you all for your time and advise. I will answer each pm I receive. Trey Olsen. S/V Valhalla

ptards 11-11-2018 12:39

Not meaning to jack the thread but we're looking for a cat in the 37'-46' range and am wondering are there any owners out there or any forum members with any experience in lease/purchase-option? There would be a sizable down and a 1.000/mo payment.
P.S. Had a bad initial experience with The Catamaran Company that wanted us to put 10-20% deposit on a full price offer for a lagoon 380, just to see the boat and would refund us the deposit if we didn't like it. The purpose of bringing a seller a contract under false pretenses seemed sort of fraudulent to me, or at least shady.
Thanks in advance, PT

P.P.S.To the OP, Thanks for starting this thread and keep trying someone somewhere has the deal for you.

hellosailor 11-11-2018 13:52

ptards-
Presumably Outremer have some such arrangement with Sailing La Vagabonde, where they are "paying off" the boat by publicizing it and the maker. You are more likely to find a lease-to-own arrangement if you find a builder who also directly finances sales of their vessels, that gives them the flexibility to basically write a closed-end lease, where you lease the boat from them and then pay it off to own it.

Treyolsen 13-11-2018 23:37

Thanks so much for the idea. I've never even thought if looking down that avenue. That may have potential. I am familiar with "Sailing La Vagabond" as well. That's quite the arrangement they've got. "Thank You most Kindly, May your Day Be Blessed! Trey

Clamdigger 14-11-2018 18:23

Why not make a smaller, less costly move in sizing up? There is a Westerly Centaur 26ft on sailboatlistings for the poetically princely sum of $1,800.00 asking price! If you cant afford to pay under $2000 for a boat then you need another line of work.

thruska 14-11-2018 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clamdigger (Post 2761757)
Why not make a smaller, less costly move in sizing up? There is a Westerly Centaur 26ft on sailboatlistings for the poetically princely sum of $1,800.00 asking price! If you cant afford to pay under $2000 for a boat then you need another line of work.

The gentleman stated he can pay 300- 400 a month. Without a down payment thatís 10 months on a 3000 or 4000$ boat.
If he works for me partime he could own a boat in a few months.
Theoretically of course!
You gotta show up for work first:thumb:
Making judgemental remarks over another mans finances is a good way to make enemies....
Therefore, i degrees, as there are too many variables in every mans life to make such judgments.
Traveling all,over the country to view and inspect can cost more than the boat alone , in spite of tlc that is required on any boat...:popcorn::whistling:
Lest he walk in the other mans shoes....:peace:

mjscottinnc 14-11-2018 19:02

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't noticed anyone offering to purchase anything so far. Leaves one to wonder...

Clamdigger 14-11-2018 21:48

Thruska just dont want to read about another wannabe boater wrecking his new to him pride n joy and leaving the mess for others to deal with. As you know boats are environmental hazards waiting to happen.

If the op is so tight on money how can he afford to own and operate a larger boat? The $500 a month thing has been threaded to death on CF. If the op reads some of the costs threads he may stick with what he has and save up for a larger boat.

Recent posts were made regarding under 30ft boats not viable, accepted as liveaboards in many marinas. Anchoring out on a larger boat means he needs to buy a dinghy to get ashore too.

The main thing is the cost to purchase is the cheapest part of boat ownership. It s all the related costs that may hinder his progress after the purchase, dockage, parts, fuel, insurance,etc.

thruska 14-11-2018 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clamdigger (Post 2761829)
Thruska just dont want to read about another wannabe boater wrecking his new to him pride n joy and leaving the mess for others to deal with. As you know boats are environmental hazards waiting to happen.

If the op is so tight on money how can he afford to own and operate a larger boat? The $500 a month thing has been threaded to death on CF. If the op reads some of the costs threads he may stick with what he has and save up for a larger boat.

Recent posts were made regarding under 30ft boats not viable, accepted as liveaboards in many marinas. Anchoring out on a larger boat means he needs to buy a dinghy to get ashore too.

The main thing is the cost to purchase is the cheapest part of boat ownership. It s all the related costs that may hinder his progress after the purchase, dockage, parts, fuel, insurance,etc.

Yup, youíre preaching to the choir clamdigger :thumb:
And marina fuel ainít like going to kwiktrip, everything marine or boat related is inflated, price wise....
It takes commitment to spend kids inheritance.:smitten:

thruska 14-11-2018 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjscottinnc (Post 2761772)
Maybe it's just me, but I haven't noticed anyone offering to purchase anything so far. Leaves one to wonder...

Not seeing too much hard sell either , Hahahaha

mjscottinnc 15-11-2018 06:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by thruska (Post 2761834)
Not seeing too much hard sell either , Hahahaha

I've never found the hard sell to be useful in the long term, quality sells. But then again I'm an engineer not a salesman.

There are buyers and then there are tire kickers.

heron237 16-11-2018 05:59

" Thanks most kindly and may GOD Bless you each!" Now you went and got god brought into it......

hellosailor 16-11-2018 12:33

There's a legend that some latter-day monotheists have actually preferred to WALK ON WATER rather than invoke the blessings of the sea gods to travel through it. Isn't that ridiculous?

thruska 16-11-2018 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by heron237 (Post 2762625)
" Thanks most kindly and may GOD Bless you each!" Now you went and got god brought into it......

No now it looks as though mocking someoneís faith is somehow comical to you and hellosailor?:trash::trash::trash:

hellosailor 17-11-2018 12:31

" mocking someoneís faith"
I find a tragic humor in the way that all of the new and exclusive monotheisms dishonor and disparage all of the older faiths and older gods. And by newer, yes, I'll count every "reform" that has been made in the past 2000 years, including the many Christian reformations and the Moslem reformation from latter-day Judaism, which in itself may claim to be nearly 6000 years old, but there's nothing of the original religion left in those either, except perhaps the Ethiopian Falash and the Samarites.
Or perhaps, you think there's some underappreciated value in "gods" that withheld all knowledge of themselves from all peoples until just recently? Other religions and philosophies go back 6000-8000 years, and we know that even before that, people were working with the concept of deities.
So, the glib new religions that decry everything that came before them as being at best "wrong"? Right, all these millennia, and suddenly they appear?
If someone tells me "May the gods be with you" there's a blessing. If they not so subtly say "God" singular, they're proselytizing at best, and denigrating everyone else who may disagree with their oh so exclusive religion.
Chastising, perhaps. Mocking? Oh, I think the new religions do far worse than that.