Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Looking for live aboard marina in SW Florida (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/looking-for-live-aboard-marina-in-sw-florida-208477.html)

thanasi 06-10-2018 20:14

Looking for live aboard marina in SW Florida

Need some suggestions on a live aboard marina in SW Florida. Been looking anywhere from St Pete's to Ft Myers. Really like Regatta Point Marina, however, a little harsh on the budget we have to work with. Are there any out there that may not be as much? or is that too much to ask. family friendly would be a plus as we have small kids. Thank you

Davy J 07-10-2018 06:45

Re: Looking for live aboard marina in SW Florida

When I was looking a little more than a year ago, Regatta Pointe was the only marina that had any available slips. Yes, they were expensive, at least for west coast standards. Twin Dolphin is renovating, but they are moving very slow.

St Pete Municipal Marina and the Harborage both had waiting lists. The only other marinas, in this area, that allow live-aboards seem to be Pasadena Marina and Blind Pass Marina.

I didn't look any farther south of Manatee County. If you don't need to be tied to the dock, you could probably get a mooring in Fort Myers Beach.

SFS 07-10-2018 07:06

There have been two developments in Gulfport FL (Pinellas County, just south of St. Pete) that may be of help to you. First, liveaboards have been approved, although the minimum boat length to qualify is 35 feet.

Second, they put in a mooring field, if that is an option for you.

This has all happened in the past 8 months or so. I don't know if there are waiting lists.

Davy J 07-10-2018 07:40

Quote:

This has all happened in the past 8 months or so. I don't know if there are waiting lists.
Wow, none of that was available just last year. When I did visit them the marina was full at that time though.

Website shows live-aboard fee of $225.00

dharaway 07-10-2018 08:58

You might try Burnt Store Marina. If you can't find anyone there, try Chet Shubert at Gulf Coast Sailing School. He has 5-6 slips there and should be pretty plugged in. You can find his contact info by search for the school.

mannix2 07-10-2018 09:45

You an try Marinatown Yacht Harbour in N. Ft. Myers @www.marinatown.net

SFS 07-10-2018 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davy J (Post 2736454)
Wow, none of that was available just last year. When I did visit them the marina was full at that time though.

Website shows live-aboard fee of $225.00

Yeah, once the city council approved it, things moved fast. The mooring field was installed in about 3 weeks.

SuW 07-10-2018 10:07

Probably a bit out of your range, but I must give a shout out to the Acosta Creek Marina in Welaka, FL on the St. Johns River.

Lovely site, quiet, small, friendly folk, nice rental cottages should you need a break. Fresh water. Fantastic wildlife all around. The other side of the river is the Ocala National Forest.

Also have haul out facilities and they allow people to work on their boats.

Paradise, with grapefruit trees!

CaptRory 07-10-2018 10:22

I'm in the Harborage and there are empty slips on I- dock which 35 feet. I haven't walked around the rest to know. I think they are expensive for live aboard. Haven't been down to Burnt Store in a while but I would be surprised if they are more than half full. You can't get better protection, but it's 10 miles from town.

gulfcoastsailor 07-10-2018 16:21

Regatta Pointe in Palmetto. On the Manatee river near the bay and Gulf⚓️

Trailer Sailor 07-10-2018 17:07

Does Regatta Pointe require a minimum boat length?

Kismet36 07-10-2018 18:22

There's also Salty Sam's, and maybe some others in Fort Myers Beach. Fisherman's Village in Punta Gorda has liveaboards. Paradise Marina in North Ft Myers is cheap, but might not be good for the kids. There's also one in Cape Coral which is connected to the Cape Coral Municipal Yacht Basin. I forgot the name, but it's near Del Prado Ave.

Emptynest 08-10-2018 12:56

Try Marathon mm50 north east of boot key we were there live aboard for winter just google marinas in Marathon FL!!

sailorman7225 08-10-2018 20:13

Marathon marinas are pretty expensive.

Huey2 09-10-2018 15:00

I'm at Marinatown in Fort Myers, Fl. Our boat is smaller but we pay the 35' well price. They have a swimming pool, allow live aboards & etc. @ $600+/ month. Look us up if you get a well.