Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Cruisers: how long do you stay? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/cruisers-how-long-do-you-stay-206356.html)

Bill_Giles 31-08-2018 12:23

Re: Cruisers: how long do you stay?

A good question, much like “how long is a piece of string”. Is it a cheap, clean, comfortable and happy mooring? Is it expensive with grumpy, noisy neighbours?Are there fishing boats going to and fro day and night? Have you decided that you are no longer a sailor or someone who has a caravan (mobile home) which goes from pitch to pitch?

Hasbeen 31-08-2018 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by rognvald (Post 2709710)
We never sail to experience other cultures. We sail because we enjoy the passages, the natural beauty of the target area and the wildlife. We leave when we want another experience. It rarely exceeds two weeks but usually is only a few days unless there are weather, mechanical issues or the fishing is especially good. Rognvald

I wasn't cruising to look at other cultures, but it is very nice when you pull into an isolate atoll plantation you haven't visited in a few years, & the planter greets you with 'Hasbeen, nice to see you. Come & try some of my new brew"

If I wanted oysters I didn.t go to a restaurant, but would sail a couple of hundred miles to an island which I knew had great oyster beds. The same went for lobsters or Spanish mackerel.

The scenery at your first few coconut palm fringed anchorages is pretty exciting, but after 499 of them, I found number 500 did not do all that much for me. It was the people who were more interesting.

benzy 31-08-2018 22:26

When you consider all the variables, then there are many ways to mix and match them to “experience” a place: how long you stay; how efficient you are with your time; what of the local area you want to experience (eg: food, people, nature, etc); your ability to be alone with yourself; weather; boat problems; sailing seasons; flights home; bank balance; life plans ;)

There is no “right” way to do it. As long as you are enjoying yourself.

But yes it’s probably that the vloggers need new material and you only see the highlights.

rognvald 01-09-2018 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hasbeen (Post 2710246)
I wasn't cruising to look at other cultures, but it is very nice when you pull into an isolate atoll plantation you haven't visited in a few years, & the planter greets you with 'Hasbeen, nice to see you. Come & try some of my new brew"

If I wanted oysters I didn.t go to a restaurant, but would sail a couple of hundred miles to an island which I knew had great oyster beds. The same went for lobsters or Spanish mackerel.

The scenery at your first few coconut palm fringed anchorages is pretty exciting, but after 499 of them, I found number 500 did not do all that much for me. It was the people who were more interesting.

Hi, H,
Thanks for the feedback. My point in the above quote was to emphasize our main goal for cruising: adventure, sailing, and wildlife . . . not that we are misanthropes. We, also, have met some wonderful people in our travels but that isn't the reason we cruise. Our wild areas are quickly disappearing and for those of us who relish this beauty . . . the clock is ticking . .. and, of course, none of us lives forever. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald