Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Cruisers: how long do you stay? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/cruisers-how-long-do-you-stay-206356.html)

jlcnuke 23-08-2018 06:31

Cruisers: how long do you stay?

When you're cruising, how long do you stay in one place. I ask because the VLogs seem to all follow the same pattern at most places - stay a day, maybe 2, then move on to another place unless they're "stuck" somewhere for a particular reason (waiting on shipment of something, getting work done, etc).

I recall when Delos would seem to stay no less than a week or two somewhere, but it seems every episode from every sailing VLog these days includes moving to another place. Don't get me wrong, I like to see sailing, but it seems to me that when I eventually get to start cruising I'd want to do/see everything I could/would like to at each place I visited and I can't imagine that would be just do one or two things and head out. I understand moving to a protected anchorage etc due to weather, or to leave because you've reached your max stay allowed in that place, but the constant moving and little time spent in any given place seems kinda rushed/hectic to me.

Or maybe it's just they don't show/talk about what they do the rest of the time off-camera?

Paul L 23-08-2018 06:50

Re: Cruisers: how long do you stay?

How long is a piece of string? You should try watching the YouTube stars who anchor at one spot for months at a time:)
Sometimes we anchor for a few hours, other times we stay for months.

gmakhs 23-08-2018 06:52

There are different kind of cruisers , the ones who visit a place like tourists , see what is to see and move on , and the others who want to embrace the culture and staying longer , i am more on the second part , but everybody have their rhythm and responsibilities.

Mike OReilly 23-08-2018 07:37

I’m a full-timer, for about 7 months each year. This year we’ve sat in one place for 38 days and counting. It varies widely from season to season for me. Last season three days was the tops. Prior to that I think we sat in one place for two weeks. Prior to that a week.

So as with most things in cruising, the answer is: it depends :smile:.

travellerw 23-08-2018 08:07

I'm in %100 agreement with gmakhs.. There are different types of cruisers. Slow cruisers and fast cruisers.

I think most Vlogs are not a good representation of typical cruising life. They usually fall into the camp of sightseeing and moving on. Personally I would say that only makes up %10-%20 of cruisers.

Of course location and weather play a part as well.

AiniA 23-08-2018 08:16

It depends would be a good answer. You can a circumnavigation in two years or even a bit less. Three year ones are very common, we did five years. We have friends who did a 21 year rtw. How long you stay somewhere depends on a bunch of things - obviously how much you like a place but very importantly, when do you need to be somewhere else because of weather. We had two such considerations, being in Oz (or NZ) for cyclone season and going around South Africa when the weather was agreeable (a fairly short window there). We would have liked to spend more time in Indonesia which was a place we very much enjoyed but we had to get to Richards Bay to minimize cyclone risk and to let us get to Cape Town during summer. In this case you can't just say we will spend a couple of more months in Indonesia because that gets you to South Africa in the fall with enhanced cyclone exposure on the way. Your choice is effectively to keep moving or spend an extra year somewhere until the next favourable season. Our friends who used 21 years just stayed somewhere until they were bored with it (seven years in the Med) and moved on. On a macro scale I half kiddingly would tell me wife it was time to leave a place when I got to know it well - how the buses worked, where the best stores and restaurants were, etc.

sailon46 23-08-2018 08:35

When I bought the boat in 2012 Bene 51.4 she was in charter with Moorings in Tortolla. I moved her to St Martin Marigot, and kept her there for hurricane season. Moved down the chain St Barts a day or two, Antigua 2 days, Guadeloupe Point a Pitre stayed almost a year. Obviously I like the French. Then went down the chain Dominica a day or two. Martinique 4 days. St Lucia a week. By passed St Vincent bad experiences from the past there, Bequia my beloved stayed for a week in Admiralty Bay. Tobago Cays and Union island just for a night stopover. Canouan for lunch and Internet work. Cariacou Tiller Bay 3-4 days. Grenada Hurricane season. Left going North the chain and tied the boat for another season in Guadeloupe, The Saints, Marie Gallant etc.The following Hurricane season approaching sailed to Bonaire and Curacao for the whole H-season. Sailed by Christmas of 2015 up to St Croix and Mary Jane is still there. I go down there every few months and run up to BVI or USVI or SVI for weeks at a time. Bottom of the story is go out there and let it happen to you as it did to me.
Ernie on the Mary Jane

salfarina 23-08-2018 09:38

I haven't begun long term cruising yet, but I do view and enjoy many of the YouTube Vlogs, especially the "how to" ones related to repair/restoration. Also, the ones of cruisers, especially the Caribbean, which I am planning to do soon. This being said, I've observed that many of the "cruisers" perceive themselves as video producers rather than pleasure yachtsmen. Regular release days, splashy opening scenes, thoughtful theme and background music synchronization, special effects, drone views, etc. all seem to indicate the entertainment aspect of sharing their cruising experiences. Nonetheless I find these enjoyable as travelogues but I imagine the principals feel obligated to change the scenery as much as possible in order to provide fresh material with each release.

Personally, we plan to begin our long term cruising within the next 6 months and being retired and in reasonably good health, we'll stay in any given location as long as we need to absorb it's benefits.

taxwizz 23-08-2018 09:44

Stay until someone comes around trying to collect docking or anchoring fees.

nhschneider 23-08-2018 09:47

I tend to prefer to move pretty fast, however, our circumnavigation is approaching 8 years and we're not done yet.

We spent a year in Thailand and a year in Trinidad. Five months in New Zealand and even longer in Australia. Four months in South Africa but only ninety days in French Polynesia (French Immigration refused to extend our visas). Chagos, in the British Indian Ocean Territory, we were limited to thirty days.

While we were in Richards Bay in South Africa, the ARC Round the World Rally came by and they were on track to complete their circumnavigations in eighteen months. When I asked one skipper what they had seen, his reply was 'everything'.

Fair winds and calm seas.

sailcrazy 23-08-2018 11:07

We've cruised Asia, the Medd, and now the NE Caribb. The ONLY place we felt compelled to move was in the Medd....and that was because the Shengen Treaty only (legally) gave us 90 days in the EU before we were obligated to leave for a day. Not all cruisers, including us on occasion, chose to follow that rigorously....but that's a choice you make at the time. When you're in a neat place...stop and see it! If the wx sucks, plan to be in a safe and secure place. The best schedule....is NO schedule, just some loose idea. Let the spirit move you. Sailboats and schedules do not go well together. Sometimes, an afternoon is more than enough in one place. Other places....a month or 2 is not enough! We try not to make a movement decision until that morning!

conachair 23-08-2018 11:44

Somewhere between a few hours and a few years :)

Time2Go 23-08-2018 11:58

[QUOTE=salfarina;2703154
I've observed that many of the "cruisers" perceive themselves as video producers rather than pleasure yachtsmen. Regular release days, splashy opening scenes, thoughtful theme and background music synchronization, special effects, drone views, etc. all seem to indicate the entertainment aspect of sharing their cruising experiences. Nonetheless I find these enjoyable as travelogues but I imagine the principals feel obligated to change the scenery as much as possible in order to provide fresh material with each release.
[/QUOTE]

This is correct
One of the very well known bloggers
has stated her occupation as a
“Travel Vloger” not a sailor sharing her
sailing adventure.
Put being a retired video/film producer
I can say that
putting out a good 15 minute piece every
week, with the same basics becomes real
dull real quick
Digital Slaves to Their Patroens
Good for them if it’s their thing
Cheers
Neil

valhalla360 23-08-2018 12:52

The blog/vlog tend to give a distorted view.

We hung out and did minor maintenance on the boat today...doesn't make a very interesting post.

I suspect most cruisers move a ways then spend a week or month or longer before moving on. Lots find a nice place and never move on.

old pirate 23-08-2018 13:03

We spent a year (season) cruising the eastern Caribbean, then 8 years Virgin Islands, one year South Pacific and so far 18 years Australia !

JPA Cate 23-08-2018 13:36

jlcnuke,

You stay as long as you can where you want to, and within visa and seasonal limitations. People vary considerably in what kinds of cruising appeals to them: some love cold places, others warm; some enjoy big cities and all they have to offer, and others, like it where there are no lights at night. So if you go, learn about places to go before you get there, and then do what you are drawn towards. Keep an eye on the weather, move on as desired. Leave space in the plan for the unexpected. Always give people a "window" in which to expect you, never a particular day or time. Invite visitors after you've arrived in the country where you will rendezvous. Many Customs or Quarantine departments require previous notification. Notify the ones you are heading towards before you check out from where you are leaving. Most countries issue you with an exit stamp on your visa, as well as the entry, some with a zarpe, a clearance form with stamps, etc.

Ann

roverhi 23-08-2018 13:49

When we dropped anchor in Atuona in the Marquesas after our passage down from CA there was another boat in the Anchorage. By the time we left the Marquesas for the Tuamotus and points west, that boat was back in California. They'd done all of French Polynesia, sailed up to Hawaii and back to California in under 6 months.

We spent nearly all of our 6 month visa in the Marquesas and Ahe in the Tuamotus. After getting our Visa renewed in Papeete we made it all the way over to Moorea for the next six months. We'd anchored in 3 different bays on Moorea for a month or more with occasional sails over to Pepeete to shop. We weren't the typical cruiser but most of the boats we met spent most of a year in French Polynesia before heading west or home. There were occasional boats that were there to punch the ticket and move on but they were the minority.

I will almost guarantee if you plan your cruise with a short stay in various places for a year or more, you won't last six months cruising.

Matt Johnson 23-08-2018 14:12

Just remember that Youtube videos are 'highlight reels" which may appear to be all shot in one day, but typically are multiple days spliced together (unintentionally misleading?). There is a ton of sitting around like any cruiser, but who wants to watch that with their precious 15 min of free time?

Edit: Longest we've sat in one place is 6 weeks in Mexico for Christmas and then a good weather window.

Matt

travellerw 23-08-2018 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxwizz (Post 2703158)
Stay until someone comes around trying to collect docking or anchoring fees.

Its funny, my wife and I have a saying.
"Its time to move when the locals start calling us by name!".

If that happens, we know the anchor got a little too sticky. Shortly after that, hilarity ensures as we move to the next island and realize we completely forgot how to sail.

SV Bacchus 23-08-2018 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by funjohnson (Post 2703335)
Just remember that Youtube videos are 'highlight reels" which may appear to be all shot in one day, but typically are multiple days spliced together (unintentionally misleading?). There is a ton of sitting around like any cruiser, but who wants to watch that with their precious 15 min of free time?

Matt

The truth from someone doing it! Can you imagine cueing up your fav YouTube channel and for the third week in a row see them waxing the boat or scraping the bottom or.. Yeah, me either.

I appreciate the channels, such as MJ sailing, that give you a good mix of sailing along with some local culture and a splash of boat maintenance thrown in for good measure. Leave the dull stuff on the cutting room floor!

conachair 23-08-2018 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by travellerw (Post 2703339)
Its funny, my wife and I have a saying.
"Its time to move when the locals start calling us by name!".

I go by google earth, if you zoom in and see your boat then definitely time to go buy a new phrase book and leave :)

Mike Banks 23-08-2018 15:03

Unless you have to slip your vessel for lengthy maintenance, stay only for as long as the place and its inhabitants hold your interest. Any longer, and you will begin to grow roots.

Familiarity breeds content--and who wants to be a landlubber again? That time will come soon enough--.

Stu Jackson 23-08-2018 15:24

If I want photographs of boats, I go sailing and look around.

If I want video of boating stuff, I put the sails up or the engine on and move.

I have never understood the fascination of folks wanting websites to have gazillion pictures of sailboats.

I also don't understand why folks claim to spend so much time watching videos of other people doing what they claim they want to do.

And if you want a photo of your own boat, get out and have some friends take some. The more you're out there, the more you'll have your picture taken.

Of course, I'm jaded. I have owned boats for 35 years, have had this one for 20 years and grew up boating as a kid.

I suppose if you're dreaming and still don't have a boat, they may be interesting. For a while, perhaps.

RaymondR 23-08-2018 23:34

For me it tends to depend upon:

The availability of a good coffee shop and newsagent, I like to start the day with a
walk, a coffee and a browse of a news paper.

The convenience of shopping, water and fuel replacement.

The scenery. I like a good vista in the afternoons.

The intrusiveness, or lack of it, of pests such as officialdom, mosquito,s, sand flies,
etc.

The climate, I like to stay in the 22 - 26 degree celsius temperature band.

Other than that I'm not too particular.

Jim Cate 23-08-2018 23:54

How long do we stay? Until we leave...

When do we leave? When we feel like it.

Cruising for us does not involve plans beyond avoiding cyclones and snow.

So, for the OP: don't worry about it... you will find out what works for you, and that is likely to change over the years. Did for us!

Jim

sailorboy1 24-08-2018 04:32

I've stayed 4 months at one place a year ago for hurricane season and once stayed 3 months for winter. Each of those I ended up staying longer than intended due to "something".

But overall I haven't been anywhere that I haven't been ready to move on from after 1 week and more often 1-2 days.

belizesailor 24-08-2018 04:58

It depends...on individual preference. I know those who are "voyagers" rather than "cruisers" who prefer to be underway. Then Destination cruisers who once they reach their destination are soon ready to be underway. Me, Im at the other extreme, whats the rush? I like to really get to know an area...its taken me 13 years to get from Belize to Panama! 🤣

By contrast, we've spent most of the past several cruising seasons in the San Blas islands of Panama. We were there March thru June this year. Had an awesome cruising season. Of course, there are almost 400 islands spread out over more than 100 miles of coast line.

As far as literally in the same exact spot...typically not more than a couple of weeks. We have a favorite spot in the San Blas where we spent about 3 contiguous weeks this year.

I think the vlogers may need to keep moving on in order to keep their material interesting....so, here we are day 56 anchored in the same place...not exactly a cliff hanger.

conachair 24-08-2018 05:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by belizesailor (Post 2703680)
It depends...on individual preference. I know those who are "voyagers" rather than "cruisers" who prefer to be underway. Then Destination cruisers who once they reach their destination are soon ready to be underway. Me, Im at the other extreme, whats the rush? I like to really get to know an area...its taken me 13 years to get from Belize to Panama! 🤣

For many it seems to change on how long you've been cruising for, first few years it's like an exciting holiday and a lot rush around trying to see and do everything then it mellows out a bit, boats might do longer passages then hole up in an area for a while and get to know the people and culture a bit better.
Both great fun :cool:

boatman61 24-08-2018 05:23

Till everyone in my favourite bars go "Yo..!! Phil.!!!" as I walk in.. :biggrin:

Tetepare 24-08-2018 06:18

Stay till you've eaten all the coconut crab.

Mike OReilly 24-08-2018 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by belizesailor (Post 2703680)
...By contrast, we've spent most of the past several cruising seasons in the San Blas islands of Panama. We were there March thru June this year. Had an awesome cruising season. Of course, there are almost 400 islands spread out over more than 100 miles of coast line. ...

Sounds like my kind of cruising :smile:. My tag line ain’t just aspirational :wink:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by conachair (Post 2703689)
For many it seems to change on how long you've been cruising for, first few years it's like an exciting holiday and a lot rush around trying to see and do everything then it mellows out a bit, boats might do longer passages then hole up in an area for a while and get to know the people and culture a bit better.
Both great fun :cool:

Agreed. We (my spouse and I) both love staying put and getting to know the places we end up. But our places tend to be more remote anchorages. I love getting to know a wild semi-wild area. And I love getting to know the local cruisers who pass through.

zeehag 24-08-2018 07:02

the actual saying is familiarity breeds contempt. not content.
too long and too dronk, i find folks did not like the results. i donot drink, but many cruisers/vagabonds under sail/ voyagers under sail, wtf you wish to call selves.... do. to excess.
i help folks. i stay as long as i feel like staying, familiarize with locals, not folks playing at part time party hearty cruising. i have repairs effected and more repairs effected--by locals. not english speakers out to clamp onto a wallet.
i enjoy my life. no one can place parameters on this. it is reality. no 6 month part time play, this is full time life.
life is awesomely good. life is an adventure meant to be LIVED.

TheThunderbird 29-08-2018 12:22

Word of disco.

Boating is about floating and enjoying outdoor with a personal living system (boat, systems, crew).

In all' that, sailing from A to B (to no particular purpose, quite often) is an accessory.

I try to reach places WORTHY a 3 to 9 months stay. Boat is, or works for, a house, not a car

RaymondR 29-08-2018 15:04

One of the great things about cruising in your own boat is that you get to choose how soon you get to go or choose to stay.

"Bloody anchorage is full of noisy tourist boats, let's get to hell out of here"

"Nah, it's too early to get out of bed today, we'll go tomorrow"

Hasbeen 31-08-2018 07:51

In the pacific Islands it is much more fun if you stay long enough to become part of the community. I stayed off & on so long in Rabaul, [New Britain, New Guinea], they co-opted onto the comity of the yacht club.

I visited one atoll plantation so often over a few years the planters wife tried to marry me off to her sister, & a Family in Honiara, Guadalcanal would see my yacht coming down iron bottom sound, & be down to great me at the yacht club as I arrived.

When I got back to Oz, I got involved in the tourist day trip & bear boat charter industries in the Whitsunday Islands, & was there for 6 years.

That is what I call cruising.

JanetGroene 31-08-2018 10:28

As a liveaboard I found it was usually about two weeks before the inside story began revealing itself to us. Locals ashore and afloat want to get the cut of your jib before trusting you with the real who's who and what's what. On a related note, when we were looking for a monthly or seasonal rate at a a location where we wanted to spend some time, there was often a No Vacancy sign at first until they looked us over. Only then did a favored rate open up. Take tie to smell the flowers.

Cheechako 31-08-2018 10:30

Might be overnight, but sometimes 5-6 weeks.

Mike OReilly 31-08-2018 10:57

Just hauled up after seven or eight weeks. Had to clean serious barnacles off the first 20 feet of chain, so perhaps this has been too long.

Greg4cocokai 31-08-2018 11:38

Usually when cruising the tropical Pacific, you cross the equator every six months. Nine times for me.

rognvald 31-08-2018 11:55

We never sail to experience other cultures. We sail because we enjoy the passages, the natural beauty of the target area and the wildlife. We leave when we want another experience. It rarely exceeds two weeks but usually is only a few days unless there are weather, mechanical issues or the fishing is especially good. Rognvald